Old January 3, 2001, 22:53   #1
MudDuck12
Settler

Local Time: 09:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help!!!!!! the computers never attack me!! this is no fun!!
Why don't the computers attack you!!! They barely send anything! In Civ II on King mode they would plaster you with units, but in CTPII they never go on the offensive!! What am I doing wrong, I'm on hard mode for God's sake and I'm taking over the world in 1300AD!!!!!!! There's no resistance! I spent $50 on this game and I wanted to have big wars like I did in Civ II and its just so dissapointing! I even gave 15 of my 20 cities to another empire to make it more challenging but they still didn't attack and I easily took the cities back! Is this a bad joke or something????!! This isn't a minor problem with the game, this is a huge flaw!!! A game isn't fun if it's too easy!!! WHY CAN'T THE AI JUST ATTACK WITH LOTS OF UNITS LIKE IN CIV 2!!!! That makes it fun to try to win. What am I doing wrong?? Please someone tell me there's a button I've overlooked in the options menu that makes the AI a challenge. The level of simplicity is absolutely ridiculous, why hasn't anyone else noticed this! Other posts say the AI is too easy (even on impossible) but no one seems to think it's a big deal, you're all complaining about stuff like diplomacy! HAS ANYONE HERE WHO ISN'T A TOTAL NEWCOMER TO THIS GENRE ACTUALLY BEEN CHALLENGED BY THE GAME????? If so, please tell me the exact settings you played on (# of civs, world size, etc...) or please say that Activision will come out with a patch that will make the game a challenge. Why does everyone act like the incredibly passive AI's is just a minor bug in the whole sceme of the game?????? That totally blows the entire game for anyone who wants a military challenge!! Civ2 was a challenge and that came out a long time ago, so the AI should have been even better for this game but it is incredibly worse. Is there a petition going to Activision to address this or what???? Do they even realize that the computers don't attack!!!?
Old January 3, 2001, 23:44   #2
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 02:16
This isn't the first post on this problem, just try reading past posts and you'll see.
I've played on every difficulty except impossible and soundly kicked the computers butt! In 5 games or so I have not finished one except the present one I am trying to finish just to see what it's like. Even in this one I am by far the most powerful and this is on very hard.
In the games I've played I can probably say that I have been attacked by land units perhaps 10 times. The computer does attack your ships but only if your at war. Never does it launch a surprise attack. The AI is pathetic, boring and too nice/stupid. This AI doesn't hold a stick to CIV2 or SMAC so get ready for more disappointment. I played my first game of CTP2 on beginner to get a feel for it and destroyed the computer. I thought well I am not really a beginner for these types of games so I'll move on. I really can't tell the difference between the levels of difficulty except that the computer cities grow quicker and the human players research goes slower but that's it.

Sorry, you like me bought a dud of a game.

G
Old January 4, 2001, 08:59   #3
Matthew Watson
Settler

You may find that playing it on "impossible" and modding some of the files may prove to be more challenging. (There are a few threads around that describe what to change)
[This message has been edited by Matthew Watson (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old January 4, 2001, 09:11   #4
Deathwalker
Prince

The AI is the most stupid thing in the game, the only hope fopr a decent game is multiplayer?

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old January 5, 2001, 00:29   #5
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

In strategies.txt you can change the importance of offensiveness and defensiveness and the number of offensive units built I've increased the attacks from the ai by doing this
Old January 5, 2001, 00:38   #6
Bluevoss
Prince

Specifically, how?

------------------
Bluevoss-
Old January 5, 2001, 02:17   #7
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Hey Dark, Chapter 2: how to make the AI smarter

Blue, take a look at my strategies file and look for JAW. Those are the ones I modified. Most of lines are pretty self explanitory.

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old January 5, 2001, 03:32   #8
ACOLKitty
Prince

Local Time: 02:16
Location: Triangle of Death Founding Member and Ambassador to Polytubbie land.
I have been playing those mods and they have not helped.
Old January 5, 2001, 09:26   #9
Apollon
Chieftain

Darkknight, could you send me your strategies.txt plz?

Old January 5, 2001, 11:51   #10
Bluevoss
Prince

Alpha,

Where can I get your files?

BTW, yesterday the computer pulled an endrun on me and really surprised me. Gobbled up a city. Good for them. I earned it. Now I gotta clobber them.

BTW2, I wrote Activision's support and asked them if they were going to patch the AI problems. Their response was "What AI problems". I sent them a link back to here...

------------------
Bluevoss-
[This message has been edited by Bluevoss (edited January 05, 2001).]
Old January 5, 2001, 12:00   #11
Bed23
Settler

go on its profile for the url

alpha> thx much, i ll try ur files this evening (could u make a zip instead of some files to download?)