Old January 6, 2001, 01:01   #1
jkadabomb
Warlord

Local Time: 09:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stop bad ai posts!!!!!!
Alright, everyone gets the point that the AI sucks. Its time ppl stopped complaining about it. Maybe there should be another forum for flames on the AI. How bout ppl stop posting how bad the AI sux and instead post how to fix it or post nothing at all about the AI.
Old January 6, 2001, 02:35   #2
colorme
Warlord

Well, as long as folks keep defending the AI, there will always be bad AI posts. Can't stop that.
Old January 6, 2001, 07:09   #3
Alisia
Chieftain

Dont worry, I'm with you
Old January 6, 2001, 12:27   #4
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:16
The point of the relentless posts on the poor AI is to keep consumer pressure on Activision. Maybe it's wishful thinking that hundreds of posts from dozens of customers will affect Activision staff's decisions at all, but it just might.

In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with continued posts on bad AI - it's a form of consumer pressure.
Old January 6, 2001, 16:37   #5
Bluevoss
Prince

Correct! The only way we will get any action on their part is if we keep up the presure. I've pointed Activision in the direction of this base (I think they've been out here before, too). If they come out, the first thing I do want them to see are many, many posts on the bad AI.

I'm sicker than a dog today - caught the flu. Still, last night I was up typing Alpha Wolfs changes into my own files (thanks, Wolf!). If I gotta do that, then maybe activision should get someone out on the web and actually see what people think about their lousy AI.

And, also, if you don't want to hear it, stay away from the relivent threads.

------------------
Bluevoss-
Old January 6, 2001, 16:37   #6
jkadabomb
Warlord

As long as Activision gets sales, they probably wont care what ppl are saying on these forums since there are thousands of CTP2 purchasers who Dont visit these forums and we only make up a small percentage of the ctp2 population.
Old January 6, 2001, 19:19   #7
MrLeN
Chieftain

The noisy wheel gets the oil SO SHUT YOUR HOLE!...er...please

------------------
It's better to close your mouth and let everyone 'think' you're stupid, than open it and let everyone 'know' you are.
Old January 6, 2001, 22:37   #8
jkadabomb
Warlord

It looks like even MarkG is getting tired of these AI posts. He closed 2 threads. If you want to keep consumer pressure on Activision this is definitely not the right place to do it. Although a few activision personnel do visit these forums once in a while, this is not there forum and they could care less about what ppl right in this forum unless it involves reporting a bug. So if you really want to get to activision, use some common sense, email them directly or write complaints on their own forums and stop spamming this forum.
Old January 6, 2001, 23:16   #9
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

management doesnt read complaints about things. they are there to get a product into the market. this they did. as long as it sells, they wont care if it has bugs.

And stop slaming the programers, if they are typical IT professionals, they are as annoyed as anyone that its not perfect but i'd bet large amounts of money that their concerns fell on deaf ears.

may I suggest that everyone instead of flaming the game, go out to apolytons mod page and read some SLIC documentation. Its inteesting and then you can write the game to your liking.

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old January 7, 2001, 00:22   #10
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 02:16
quote:

Originally posted by Alpha Wolf on 01-06-2001 10:16 PM
may I suggest that everyone instead of flaming the game, go out to apolytons mod page and read some SLIC documentation. Its inteesting and then you can write the game to your liking.

I disagree. I paid for a fully functioning game. A game that was supposed to be polished, playable, enjoyable, etc. That's what Activision was pitching before this load of trash was released, not a game where I have to learn a programming language just to get it to work right!
Old January 7, 2001, 01:48   #11
MrLeN
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by jkadabomb on 01-06-2001 09:37 PM
It looks like even MarkG is getting tired of these AI posts. He closed 2 threads. If you want to keep consumer pressure on Activision this is definitely not the right place to do it. Although a few activision personnel do visit these forums once in a while, this is not there forum and they could care less about what ppl right in this forum unless it involves reporting a bug. So if you really want to get to activision, use some common sense, email them directly or write complaints on their own forums and stop spamming this forum.

Better still, shhhh everyone be vewwwy vewwwy qwwwiet... We not allowed to talk about the most frustrating AI problem in the history of CIV coz jkadabomb said so... Looks to me like 'someone', not mentioning any names, doesn't understand the concept of a forum? no?

------------------
It's better to close your mouth and let everyone 'think' you're stupid, than open it and let everyone 'know' you are.
Old January 7, 2001, 03:36   #12
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 18:16
quote:

Originally posted by Simpleton on 01-06-2001 11:22 PM
I disagree. I paid for a fully functioning game. A game that was supposed to be polished, playable, enjoyable, etc. That's what Activision was pitching before this load of trash was released, not a game where I have to learn a programming language just to get it to work right!

Um, I'm enjoying the game just the way it is. There's a few problems in the game but they are easily overlooked. I'm enjoying the game and it's very playable.

Old January 7, 2001, 06:22   #13
Floris O
Prince

I agree. I've never encountered any bugs, and I truly enjoy the game. Ok, the AI is not the most intelligent being here on earth, but still, that doesn't make the game worthless. And, by the way, you don't have to learn to program to make the game more difficult. I don't know how to program, but I have made the game more difficult by editing a few numbers in the risks.txt and diffDB.txt files (ctp2_data/default/gamedata). And there are many more files with easily editable numbers.

And why should you refuse to learn to program? Now that you have the game, put aside your fundamental feelings and benefit from the free help at this site.
Old January 7, 2001, 07:39   #14
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by MrLeN on 01-07-2001 12:48 AM
Better still, shhhh everyone be vewwwy vewwwy qwwwiet... We not allowed to talk about the most frustrating AI problem in the history of CIV coz jkadabomb said so... Looks to me like 'someone', not mentioning any names, doesn't understand the concept of a forum? no?
there are much better and productive ways to create "consumer pressure" than to fill a fan forum with threads on only one topic, killing any other kind of discussion

of course i realize that the easiest thing to do is click the "post new topic" icon...

Old January 7, 2001, 07:49   #15
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Floris O on 01-07-2001 05:22 AM
I don't know how to program, but I have made the game more difficult by editing a few numbers in the risks.txt and diffDB.txt files (ctp2_data/default/gamedata). And there are many more files with easily editable numbers.

And why should you refuse to learn to program? Now that you have the game, put aside your fundamental feelings and benefit from the free help at this site.
oh, no, no no no no! the customer is the Lord, and the company is the slave. the Customer Curse will fall upon you if you make one modification that will allow you and other to stop *****ing and enjoy the game!!!

[serious mode on]
when 38% of the people here were voting Customizability in the question "What is the most essential element to improve between CTP1 and 2?" they were being very wise. guess, what, they actually did something with it. the ctp2-creation forum in 50 days has more threads than the smac one in 22 months!
so take advantage of the customizability, modify(fix if you like) the game to your likings(or even easier copy the changes other people made!), and forget waiting for activision to decide to do a patch that will take much more time and will likely still not please everyone.....

Old January 7, 2001, 14:09   #16
blinder2451
Settler

I choose Microprose over Activision.

After comparing the software that has been released by these 2 companies, I have found some startling facts.

Microprose games don't require extensive forums of modification to understand how to exact some challenge from the computer simulated intelligence.

Activision games have pretty graphics and development teams twice the size of Microprose, but they can never seem to understand what the player wants.

Just remember, one is a simulation company and they do simulations, the other is a company that made Colecovision a hit and specializes in arcade games.

Who is to blame for the complaints for the lack of AI? Is it really the customer's fault for posting their reaction to this software? Nope, it's the fault of Robert Kotick, Brian Kelly, and Ronald Doornink. The programmers did only what was cleared by management.

Only if Hasbro buys Activision will this fiasco disappear.
Old January 7, 2001, 15:00   #17
Louis Cyr
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:16

quote:

...the ctp2-creation forum in 50 days has more threads than the smac one in 22 months!...

Maybe it's because Firaxis give us game
that are already playable and challenging

Anyway, thx to all mod makers !
Your work is appreciated.

LC

Old January 7, 2001, 15:32   #18
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by blinder2451 on 01-07-2001 01:09 PM
Only if Hasbro buys Activision will this fiasco disappear.

the same hasbro that released Axis and Allies, which gets my vote as the most disappointing strategy game ever. Even Risk was more intelligent and thats not saying much. Oh wait, Risk is another Hasbro "game".

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old January 7, 2001, 16:13   #19
MarkG

a couple of things...

1) smac was made by firaxis
2) microprose had financial problems and was bought by hasbro interactive, a part of the hasbro group
3) hasbro recently sold hasbro interactive(along with microprose of course) to infogrames