Old January 2, 2001, 00:46   #1
ACOLKitty
Prince

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Triangle of Death Founding Member and Ambassador to Polytubbie land.
Has anyone here lost a CTP2 game?
If so how, please explain.

If not, say so.
Old January 2, 2001, 01:01   #2
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:16
It's a small world, set on impossible, highest barb setting, and 8 civs. I start out in the middle of desert, with an oil well. I settle to make use of the well and start off. I produce a warrior, and then a second. Both set off exploring. I start work on a hoplite, and it's three turns off completion when a barb comes along and takes my city. BOOM! End game scene. Didn't even get enough time to move my warriors back to defend.

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 2, 2001, 01:15   #3
ACOLKitty
Prince

At least you didn't put much time into it.

I forgot for me.

No.
Old January 2, 2001, 01:23   #4
colorme
Warlord

Local Time: 09:16

Same here. Lost once to barbarians in round 5 or so.

But I've never gone beyond the renaissance age in any game. It gets incredibly boring by then.
Old January 2, 2001, 02:02   #5
rwz
Chieftain

Been playing since it came out, now on very hard. Have not lost. For a while I played w/o barbarians so that was kinda lame. Just finished a game I played on an Island / Ocean map just to slow it down some. The last AI had facists when I was using cannon/infantry. Still conquored, but its fun, exploring the map, moving the units into position, attacking, denying the AI any sea movement at all. Am too much of a wimp to try Impossiple yet.
Old January 2, 2001, 02:15   #6
jkadabomb
Warlord

I have lost but only 10 turns or less, however I really havent completed a game, it has always been pointless since I am so far ahead towards the end of the game. However I have only played on medium.
Old January 2, 2001, 06:54   #7
Deathwalker
Prince

Is it possable to loose to the computer?

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old January 2, 2001, 12:47   #8
Davor
Chieftain

Hey Dale. How can you play on small world with 8 civs?
I read you can only play on small world with 6 civs. did you really play with 8 civs, or did the computer put in 6 and you didint notice?

Davor
Old January 2, 2001, 17:21   #9
ACOLKitty
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Deathwalker on 01-02-2001 05:54 AM
Is it possable to loose to the computer?

It was in Civ2 at the highest level.
Old January 2, 2001, 17:26   #10
Dale
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by Davor on 01-02-2001 11:47 AM
Hey Dale. How can you play on small world with 8 civs?
I read you can only play on small world with 6 civs. did you really play with 8 civs, or did the computer put in 6 and you didint notice?

Davor

Davor, to be honest I don't quite know! I hit 8 civs first on a large map, then decided to play a small map. I have no idea if it cut the other two civs off or not. You read it somewhere? I suppose I should actually open the manual then. I only used the back cover for the hotkeys.

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 2, 2001, 22:34   #11
phoenixcager

I lost to barbarians too. They took over 4-5 of my cities.

Old January 3, 2001, 00:29   #12
bad0cat
Chieftain

Other then the occasional bad luck barbarian in the first 5 turns I don't recall ever losing a game of CTP II - which speaks very poorly of the AI. I did lose a couple of games of the original CTP but that was when I was first starting out and had no prior exposure to the whole CIV scene.

I havn't tried impossible on CTP II yet - is it any more of a challenge? I havn't even completed a game of CTP II yet because by the begining of the modern age I'm at least five times as powerful as my closest competitor in every aspect.

YET ANOTHER REASON TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER !

Old January 3, 2001, 01:03   #13
ACOLKitty
Prince

That is my point exactly.

There is no challenge.
Old January 3, 2001, 16:47   #14
Shadow
Warlord

Well I'm a new CTP/Civ-er, and I just recently started out a agme on Hard, 8 Civs and a large map. By the time I got to the AD years I was still only 7th on the power scale. I suppose that speaks of my lack of experience though.

I decided I didn't like the idea of getting killed off, so I started a new game, same parameters, and now I'm neck and neck with 2 other Civ's for the top spot at about 100AD.

At least it's made me more perceptive to the little things in the game that initially seem trivial, but can help progress dramatically when used correctly.

Shadow
Old January 4, 2001, 09:15   #15
Deathwalker
Prince

I didn't think it was possable to loose a game in CTP2, it has the owlrd crapest AI, Civ 1 had better AI it would attack.
Old January 4, 2001, 21:18   #16
dande
Chieftain

Sooooo close, yet....

I was pumped because I almost lost a game. I've been "civ"ing for 10 years and haven't lost a game in a long long time. However, in my current CTP2 game (only my second) I was playing very hard, eight civs, normal map. I startred off with the lowsiest terrain I could have immagined. I was in last place for thousands of years years and really thought I was going to lose. Finally, I decided to make some stupidly aggressive moves into the AI's territory and slowly began to take cities.

Alas, I am now in first place and will win again...At least I had to think for a little while.
Old January 5, 2001, 16:22   #17
Pintello
Warlord

Hi All,

I have been doing some playtesting for WesW's MedMod II. In the game before last, I was doing so badly that I had to quit because it was obvious that I would not be able to win. How did I know this, it was around 300AD and I had still only been able to build 1 city. Every time I got some units together, the Barbarians started attacking me and I had to go out and deal with them, but in the process I would loose most of my newly created units. I was having to deal with stacks of 4 or more barbarian units, so you can see how they could cause some damage to a civ that just had 1 city's worth of resources to deal with.

I think my main problem was how I was situated. I was on a continent shaped something like an X and I was at the middle. Every time an AI unit encountered a Barbarian ambush, the Barbarians would filter down to the center of the X, right where I was, because the AI civs were covering the ends of the X. I have never seen so many Barbarians in a game before.

By the time I had killed off enough Barbarians and gained enough slaves to make my city productive, all the AIs had 6 or more cities that were too well defended for me to take with one stack of 12 and it was very difficult to build more than that because of support problems. Also I couldn't go out and found a lot of cities because while I was playing tag with the Barbarians just to stay alive, the AIs were building cities where I would have normally done it in a more typical game. In short, I had nowhere to go and not enough resources to conquer anybody else.

Also by this point I was way, and I mean way, behind in the tech tree. In know for a fact that some of the AIs already had Pikemen, Knights, and Catapults and were deploying them, while the best I could turn out were Hoplites and Archers and know hope of getting anything better for quite a while to come. So, I had no where to go, not enough resources to conquer anybody else, and not enough sciense to match them even if I could.

So I quit and started a new game. This one is going better for me, but it is still 200 BC and I am still at the bottom of the power graph. Once Wes gets his Mod Mod II done, I recommend that everyone give it a try.

Timothy Pintello
Old January 5, 2001, 19:20   #18
colorme
Warlord

Pintello,

You quit too early. I've played similar CTP2 games (without the Med mod) where I was way behind the AIs, and have always ended up ahead. Reason is of course that the AI will never try to take back a city you capture from it. There's only this stupid thing in the diplomacy interface that tells you that it is mad at you because of you 'recently captured it's city', but of course, it doesn't act on its unhappiness.

Bottomline - hang on and you will ALWAYS win. And therein lies the rub ...
Old January 5, 2001, 20:11   #19
Chris B
Warlord

Local Time: 04:16
I don't think ive ever lost, besided to barbs on turn 3 or 4, but often when games realy start to go bad i errrr, quit ad start anew
Old January 5, 2001, 23:53   #20
Pintello
Warlord

Hi Colorme,

The key to your statement is "without the Med Mod." If I had been playing without the Med Mod I would have never been in this situation in the first place. If I had been using the regular game I could have conquered six or seven AI cities easily and mayby a few barbarian ones as well. In know because I have been in a similar situation without the Med Mod and that is what I did.

I tried it this time and promptly got my attacking stack clobbered by an even stronger defensive stack. Back to making new units, oh wait, that will take me 50 or more turns to make a sufficient stack. Oh wait, the AI is back up to strength and has now sent a sufficiently large stack to take my capital. Game Over.

That is what happens with Wes's Med Mod. In Wes's Mod, the AI only attacks when it is sure it can win, unfortunatley in my situation, both me and the AI were sure it could win.

Timothy Pintello
Old January 6, 2001, 02:33   #21
colorme
Warlord

Pintello,

Really? The AI actually sent a big stack to take out your capital?

Hmmm, perhaps I need to get the MedMod and try it myself. I had given up on CTP2.

Actually, I was in the beginnings of a Civ2 game and was enjoying it ... You've spoilt that mood now
Old January 8, 2001, 05:13   #22
Stratesford
Warlord

I've lost to the ai... I know I'm pathetic