Old December 22, 2000, 22:34   #1
MarkG

World War 2 Scenario
(yet another Apolyton exclusive)

the WW2 Scenario for CTP2, made by the Call to Power 2 Team
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/downloads/s...os/ctp2ww2.exe

note: like all things relate to the editors, it's "products" and generally game file modification, the Activision customer support wont be able to help you in ace of any problems
You can ask for help in our CTP2-Help forum.
[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited December 22, 2000).]

Old December 23, 2000, 03:35   #2
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well I see they are not able to get around some of the same problems we have faced. Namely, the Player 1 only problem. Looks like we will have to do the same thing and put out Scenario Packs with 8 scenarios in them, one for each Civ.

What really gets me is why they can get away with doing things we can't. It seems like they should give us the same tools or be forced to play by our rules.

Putting out scenarios with functionality that nobody else can reproduce seems an awful lot like cheating or mis-representation of the facts.

Oh well, I guess that is just how it goes.
Old December 23, 2000, 03:51   #3
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 10:17
I dont want to say Apolyton is slow but IT IS!! I get about 3 kb/sec with ISDN (max 8 kb/sec you dont believe the difference it makes between 8 and 3!!!).

Ata
Old December 23, 2000, 03:58   #4
Atahualpa
Emperor

GET A FTP SERVER!!
Old December 23, 2000, 04:32   #5
skorpion59
Prince

Yep, it is slow. I just DL'd it again to test and I am only getting 1Mbps. Of course, a 12M file is simply not big enough to get up to my 9Mbps. Oh well, guess I just have to suffer.

Old December 23, 2000, 06:06   #6
MarkG

an ftp server would not make a difference

i downloaded it myself from apolyton last night and was going at 3.3(the max for my 33.6k modem)...

Old December 23, 2000, 08:37   #7
Depp
Prince

Local Time: 09:17
I get 100 kb/s (800 kbts) adn that´s not slow for being out on the internet. And a ftp server won´t help a thing....
Old December 23, 2000, 09:22   #8
red_jon
NationStates
King

Like the new units/ barbed wire, etc, but there are too few cities. Never mind.

------------------
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender!" -Winston Churchill

"Gotta love me"- Baby, Dinosaurs
Old December 23, 2000, 11:21   #9
skorpion59
Prince

In case you guys missed the smileys at the end of my post, I was just jesting (kidding). I actually even got close to 3Mbps just before the D/L ended. Thats about 9 seconds to D/L a 12M file and that is far from being slow.

Now lets please turn this thread back over to the WW2 scenario. I am interested in hearing what everyone has to say about it.

Old December 23, 2000, 12:37   #10
Warlord

My opintion is that its too easy...at least for the Germans. I had the Dutch and Belgiums totally defeated within two weeks, no big deal by THE WW2 German Blitz standards. Then within a month I had French down to one objective city and the Enlish safly held on their island. I went ahead and finished the English before I took the French just to see if it could be done. Had the scenario beat by June 10th on impossible setting. Havn't tried playing the French yet, has anyone tried them? Is it more difficult or just as easy? And not to talk bad about the French, but why in any world war scenario with them are they so easy to defeat?

PS. Can anyone help me with my CPt problem?Its in the CPT forums-help/general/?

[This message has been edited by 420 (edited December 23, 2000).]
Old December 23, 2000, 12:49   #11
Kautilya
King

Yeah it's a bit easy. I tried it on hard ( I think) and I wasn't even playing seriously but just advancing my armies any which way. I just rolled over everything and captured Netherlands,Belgium and Paris without much resistance.It got boring so I stopped. Will try on the highest level but I doubt it will be better.

Also I am disappointed that the scenario is more or less restricted to the Battle of France. IMO it's a lot more interesting if you have the whole European theatre like the Civ2 scenario so you at least have some diplomatic possibilities.

All in all pretty disappointing.
Old December 23, 2000, 14:10   #12
Chris B
Warlord

Local Time: 04:17
Yeah, it may seem slow, but isn't the internet always bogged down a few days before Christmas?
Old December 23, 2000, 15:14   #13
Warlord

Something else I forgot to add, I thought I had heard that the WW2 scenario was going to encompass the whole world, not just the European theater. Frankly I am dissapointed by this whole game. Im going to stick with CPT if I can get the patch again.
Old December 23, 2000, 15:19   #14
Just This Once
Settler

Umm, I thought France was supposed to FALL in WWII. When I played France's side (on hard of course) not only did I not lose ONE city, but I ended up conquering Germany, Netherlands, and Belgium! The scenerio wasn't even to July yet but it ended it anyway because I think once you take care of Germany it ends it automatically. Did anyone else find France's side real easy to win?
Old December 23, 2000, 15:32   #15
Warlord

I guess activision tried to win our love back by making an easy scenario. Well they lost all the love here!
Old December 23, 2000, 19:01   #16
Atahualpa
Emperor

I find it quite odd that pillboxes can shoot down my Divebombers or any planes at all.
How should they? A MG certainly doesnt have that range!

ATa
Old December 23, 2000, 22:31   #17
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

I don't think the difficulty level matters in this scenario. I played my normal setting of very hard, made some mistakes, and still conquered France in 22 days.
There seemed to be way too much armor in the game, compared with the infantry, and the armor seemed to be too powerful compared to the infantry. One of the WWII history buffs needs to get together with one of the slic guys here and adjust the unit settings and numbers.

Btw, I had a couple of crashes when I tried to pillage a fort and an airfield.

I like the pillbox TI. I look forward to someone isolating the code for it so that we can put it into our mods. The barbed wire could be useful as well.

Was anyone else disappointed with the quality of the airplanes' sprites? The tanks looked pretty sharp. I am disappointed that they didn't make at least one WWII-era infantry unit for the game. You'd think if they made the planes and tanks they would go ahead and make the infantry.
Old December 24, 2000, 01:25   #18
jkadabomb
Warlord

I was downloading it between 173kbps and 203kbps, only took 45sec to download no problem here.
Old December 24, 2000, 03:03   #19
CorpusScorpius
Chieftain

I played the Scenario on very hard (as the Germans)& found the victory was easily had. But, the Germans are suppose to win regardless of the setting.
Old December 24, 2000, 14:18   #20
MarkG

well, it is certain that we need a harder level than impossible anyway

i played for while with the germans and resistance was wasn't big. the neglish did free a belgian city back, but i re-took it shortly

beyond that, i'm glad that they are indeed making scenarios and the modmakers have some extra graphics and slic codes to use

Old December 24, 2000, 15:18   #21
Radical_Manuvr
Chieftain

I found it fairly easy to play both Germans and French. When I played France I just decided to defend France and that was it. Germany took the Netherlands and all but one of Belgium's cities by the time I got bored with it (I think mid-June). The English had started taking some of the cities from Germany, including Saarbrucken, by then, so I knew it was over for Germany. Germany had taken Brussels on the 4th turn. I don't know how they did that but they somehow got there quick. I played Germany in my first game and I didn't remember being able to move that far that fast.

When you play the Germans watch out for those pillboxes. They're murder. I went to bomb one of them with units from Saarbrucken. I started with 5 stukas and 2 109s. The French shot 2 down before I got there, I bombed and killed one infantry, I couldn't move any further after bombing so the French shot down 2 more on their turn, I bombed with my 2 remaining stukas and just injured somebody, I lost another plane when I moved away. So I started with 7, left with 2.

After that fiasco, the French moved in and took Saarbrucken. Kind of embarrassing, but it happened. I had Paris by then so I wasn't too worried. Something weird happened on June 28th. All the French troops on the Maginot line just died and I guess the same happened in the 3 or 4 French cities I hadn't conquered yet because when I took them a few turns later, there were no defenders.

Even more strange was when I had a stack of 11 units (tanks, infantry, 1 anti-air) and moved General Kleist onto the same tile. It loaded him on a tank so I unloaded him onto that same tile with the 11 units. I got a message that General Kleist has been captured by the Kleist. Yes, I typed that correctly, captured by the Kleist. Shoulda been a feat of wonder! You've captured yourself, your choices are firing squad, ransom yourself and stash the gold or +5 happiness for 20 turns! Anyway, Kleist decided to ransom Kleist back to me for 10,000 gold. I stupidly paid it, man it hurt too, and I never did see Kleist again.

I thought the map, new TIs and units were great. I would have liked to have seen the entire war period represented though. I can live without the US being in the game, the map is too detailed and it would have to be bigger than my PC can handle to have them included. More of Germany/some of Eastern Europe and more than one English city and a longer time period would have made it much better. Maybe have US units only appear in England at certain times. Haven't thought a whole lot about it yet, guess I'm just rambling now.

Later.
Old December 26, 2000, 01:00   #22
Warlord

The only way, in my opintion, that we can find out whether or not this scenario is really a challenge is to play on MP. Yet I have not noticed a way to do that has anyone else?
Old December 26, 2000, 15:19   #23
roalan
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Atahualpa on 12-23-2000 02:51 AM
I dont want to say Apolyton is slow but IT IS!! I get about 3 kb/sec with ISDN (max 8 kb/sec you dont believe the difference it makes between 8 and 3!!!).

Ata

I have a cable modem and it downloads 100 KB per . under 2 min to d/l 11 Megs. INCREDIBLE.

------------------
Old December 26, 2000, 15:20   #24
roalan
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Atahualpa on 12-23-2000 02:51 AM

Ata

I have a cable modem and it downloads 100 KB per . under 2 min to d/l 11 Megs. INCREDIBLE.

------------------
Old December 26, 2000, 17:19   #25
joker
Settler

I also thought the simulation was way too easy. I have suggestions to solve the ease of being the French. Just add two or three more German cities, with about 10 German Units. That will make it harder for you to stop the Germans. A suggestion on making the German scenario harder is to Barb wire an barrier the entire border with more units. Both suggestions may improve gameplay. You can shorten time limit as the difficulty levels go up. That would make me a bit more risky in making moves. The way the scenario is now all you have to do is go around the barriers and take a city which doesn't have hardly any units. Maybe add a few more units in each city. Lets face it we all want to just war war war. Well lets war. Lets have more of a unit base. A stronger line with barb wire and mountains. Then the scenario will be about breaking through the lines and then trying to occupied maxed out cities. More strategy based. The reason why the French fell is because they were no Einsteins in strategy. Please give the user a chance to rewrite that. Shoot throw in an assault by the Russians. I am just popping some ideas out to make the game better. Thanks
Old December 26, 2000, 18:03   #26
Floris O
Prince

Would Activision ever make an update for this scenario? I guess it should be easily done, and a service to it's customers. Well, the scenario is free, but anyway...
Old December 29, 2000, 08:03   #27
Xerxes2
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:17
quote:

Originally posted by 420 on 12-23-2000 02:14 PM
... dissapointed by this whole game. Im going to stick with CPT if I can get the patch again.

I probably have the patch, others also. Ask and ye shall receive. I've been reading the comments on the game (and I do mean GAME) and have been enormously amused. If nothing else the graphics update is worth putting up with all the rest of it.
Old December 31, 2000, 11:09   #28
BUSHIDO
Settler

ok, i played the germans and the french. Even on the hardest level it was to easy. With the French i even invaded germany. But the new units and the new tile improvments are great. though it is a pitty that there arent any infantry units. on other thing why isnt there a way to capture fortifications? or is there?
i hope that there will be more WWII scenarios but with more units and in africa and the pacific

------------------
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
-Sun Tzu- 'the art of war'
Old January 2, 2001, 10:14   #29
Mirada2000
Chieftain

Made some,
it is not compatible with French versions of the games, because it the fact plant completement.

Old January 4, 2001, 09:08   #30
Deathwalker
Prince

I remember reading a preview of the game and one of the things they mentioned was a world encompansing World War 2 scenario. Does anyone know what happenned to it?

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow