Old January 9, 2001, 11:54   #1
BIGDADDY
Settler

Local Time: 09:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Naval bombardment?
Granted I am only on my third attempt at playing CTP2, and I havn't seen a post referring to my particular problem which usually means I am missing something simple. How do you get naval units to bombard cities and ground units on shore? I have tried both the unit options menu for when a naval unit is selected and the right click options menu. The result is the good old red circle with a line through it; no go. I have made it up to the level of ironclads and still no luck. I even tried to cheat and creat a battleship to see if it is an option reserved for later tech. To my dismay I found the so called cheat menu was just a game editor that lacks the most common cheats like creating a unit. I would deeply appreciate any help. I would like to be able to play this game some day.
Old January 9, 2001, 12:56   #2
Petunia
Settler

Heaven forfend the manual or the "Great" Library should tell you what various units can do. Or much of anything else.
Hang in there until you get battleships. A stack of battleships will clear off enemy units on the coast for you very nicely and whittle down the defenders in a coastal city. Only other decent bombardment stack is stealth bombers.
We have fallen into the trap of assuming, in default of any instructions to the contrary, that CTPII units work like CTP units. A little documentation would spoil our fun, I guess. And the "Official Strategy Guide" for CTP by BradyGAMES was unhelpful. I will probably buy the Brady CTPII guide anyway, in a triumph of hope over experience.

------------------
For his pleasures, there is no news of them.
Old January 9, 2001, 14:02   #3
Falconeer
Chieftain

In some convoluted attempt at 'balance' Activision decided to ignore history and make it so that Ship Of the Lines and Ironclads couldn't bombard land. To change this and make it right, go into your CTP2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\Units.txt file and find the entries for ironclads and ship of the lines and add: "CanBombard: Land" (minus the quotes) to them down towards the end of their entries. You'll see where.