Old January 4, 2000, 10:14   #1
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 23:27
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Stealing techs
I'm late in a game, just me and the militaristic Carthaginians. I'm interested that, although billed as "militaristic", they've pretty much left me alone. They do have thousands of ships and planes all around my territory.

I've been especially interested to find I could steal a tech from them without causing "an incident" (WAR!). I tried it a couple of times in a row and the second time triggered war. So I reloaded, made my initial steal again, and waited until the next turn before trying it again -- successfully!

My question: can I steal something once every turn safely? Or will poor old Hannibal catch on eventually?

Old January 4, 2000, 12:01   #2
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Perhaps Hannibal is just waiting to bring his nukes in range to blow you away or he has something more important to do at the moment.
I would say you have just been lucky. It never happens to me but on the othersides it's World War 9 or 10 with me anyways so I have no bad consequences from stealing.
I wouldn't wait till Hannibal decides it's enough prepare for war with him asap.
[This message has been edited by Hendrik the Great (edited January 04, 2000).]
Old January 4, 2000, 19:39   #3
Matthew
Prince

It pretty much means that hannibal thinks that you are pretty much pathetic and not worth the effort to squash.
Old January 5, 2000, 08:52   #4
Sieve Too
Prince

If you have a Fundamentalist gov't, you can often get away with using Spies and Diplos without incidents. Not just stealing techs either. I've sabotaged, bribed and even planted a nuke wthout incident. Note that this applies only to Diplos and Spies. Any attacks with military units require a declaration of war.
Old January 6, 2000, 09:11   #5
Nimrod.

I think Sieve Too explained it pretty well. It also depends on your past relations with the civilisation applicable. If you've been friendly in the past, they are mjore likely to forgive future transgressions.

------------------
The next 20 years will be a fascinating time to watch the U.K.
Randomturn

I wonder if Mrs. Ming knows that her husband gets online and gives teenage boys "spankings"?
Wes W

We will not know the outcomes of our decisions today until tomorrow, and can only guess what would happen if we made different decisions yesterday
Mao