Old January 9, 2001, 09:55   #1
Duckman
Settler

Local Time: 09:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Did they ruin the Ruins?
I'm not a high-end player. No major war campaigns for me! I just like playing it through. As with each Civ game I start at the beginner level. I'm on CTP2's beginner level. I have traveled the entire map and haven't run into one ruin! Did I miss something? Do they only appear under certain conditions?
Kudos by the way goes to Activision for fixing the Ruins (hey, that's an oximoron. I just realized that) in the CTP1 game so that one couldn't cheat by saving before entering a ruin, reloading if it was a bad ruin, and re-entering and getting a better result. It cuts down on the cheating.

------------------
There is no such thing as nothing!
Old January 9, 2001, 10:25   #2
Floris O
Prince

That's a very keen observation of an oximoron, I wouldn't have found it

About the ruins: I can't help you, sorry. I've never had any problems with ruins. Maybe it's a one game only bug.
Old January 9, 2001, 10:46   #3
Bluevoss
Prince

I don't think they show up on beginner, and some of the map options cause then to disappear. One way to check - set up the map and game options the way you want and then launch the editor. Click on the eyeball option so you can see the entire map - that will show you that ruins will be in play given the options you've chosen. Then exit the editor and relaunch a new game with the same options.

------------------
Bluevoss-
Old January 9, 2001, 14:08   #4
Falconeer
Chieftain

In order for ruins to show up you have to be playing on at least "Medium" setting. Another one of those "Why'd they do that?" things.
Old January 9, 2001, 16:39   #5
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 04:17
Yes, Falconeer is right. Beginner and Easy levels do not have ruins, along with some other features that the designers must have thought were "too difficult."

I also like the way content of the ruins are apparently set in advance so that reloading does not allow a different content, but I seem to remember that C:CTP was the same way. Regardless, it's a good feature.
Old January 10, 2001, 01:44   #6
MrLeN
Chieftain

Hmmm, I did'nt know that as I have never tried the beginner level. That is one thing that REALLY pi$$es me off! I don't know why they add/subtract things from level to level. What they should be doing is adding/subtracting "$Values$" sheeeeesh!!!

------------------
It's better to close your mouth and let everyone 'think' you're stupid, than open it and let everyone 'know' you are.
Old January 10, 2001, 02:00   #7
down th' pub
Warlord

Was it my imagination or do all the ruins turn into a little barbarian warrior instead?

I started my first game at 'easy'and an hour later the next at medium, which turned out easier because of above.

Of course I may have imagined the whole thing.
Old January 10, 2001, 14:34   #8
Duckman
Settler

Thanks for all of your responses. You had confirmed my suspiscions. I guess it is time for me to turn it up a few notches to get the same play I had in CTP1. Still, I was never a great player. I just enjoyed playing.
Also, I did notice the Ruin "no-cheat" modification was in CTP1 as well, but I also noticed changing the map configurations (particularily the diversity setting) seemed to affect the number of ruins available. Kudos there, as well.