Old December 25, 2000, 11:30   #1
Darth_Kristian
Settler

Local Time: 09:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Should i buy the game?
Should i buy CTP2?

I really loved CTP and CIV2 and im really good at both games but im afraid that CTP2 will be to easy and that it won't be any fun?

Should i buy the game?

Please help me!!
Old December 26, 2000, 10:34   #2
Davor
Chieftain

Buy the game if you can find it cheap. I bought the game at first for like $70 Canadian and I returned it cause it bothered me that I couldnt place my workers where I wanted them and on the earth map there are no Ruins in the game.

I bought it in a bargin bin for $15 and its ok since I got it at a cheaper price. The game is good but not for $70.

Davor
Old December 26, 2000, 19:16   #3
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 04:17
If you liked C:CTP, DK, you'll probably like the sequel. I've only had it since Christmas (it was a gift), so have had very little exposure to it, but the general atmosphere and play seem very much like the original, with a few changes here and there.

The interface has improved, for the most part; to me it was one of the most irritating features of the original. However, it still seems like you have to click, click, click to get the screen you want (I haven't mastered the keyboard shortcuts yet). And I can't find a list of cities with their current production displayed.

If you can find it for less than $20 bucks, I'd say go again and buy it.

With regard to the Earth map, Davor, can't you edit it and place ruins in appropriate places? I guess then it wouldn't be a surprise.
Old December 26, 2000, 22:35   #4
Davor
Chieftain

HI Purple. As in anthor post i did i cant figure out how to create a scenario with ruins on an earth world. I tried but I am missing something. never works. I wish it would have been easier as in Civ 2 wich was easy. make a change click on save and it was done. noe in CtP 2.

Davor
Old December 26, 2000, 23:37   #5
tomdy2k
Chieftain

hi

i just bought the game too. i downloaded patch and am playing mayans on medium difficulty and i got americans, irish both attacking me and scottish trying to pick a fight so as far as the ai maybe the patch is what helped. i've had civ 2 for 2 years and the ai has never been this aggresive so early in a game on this level.
Old December 27, 2000, 00:44   #6
jkadabomb
Warlord

From what Ive heard the patch did absolutely nothing to make the ai better.
Old December 30, 2000, 11:59   #7
Darth_Kristian
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Kristian on 12-25-2000 10:30 AM
Should i buy CTP2?

I really loved CTP and CIV2 and im really good at both games but im afraid that CTP2 will be to easy and that it won't be any fun?

Should i buy the game?

Please help me!!

Allright guys i bought the game for 500 Norwegian Kroner , that is about 50 US Dollars.

I finished my first game yesterday and i ended up winning by military force.
Every one of my cities were well above size 40 when i destroyed the last city.(i used an Eco-Ranger).
I played at medium but i thought that it was to easy.
I think ill move up a difficulty for my next game.

But i think i should apply the patch first.
My game had a fault that caused me to gain -1.000.000.000 public works.

I only managed to regain about 20.000.000 of those so i could not build any tile improvements from the middle of the game.

Oh and is there any way to boost your science , i couldnt have gotten all of them with the speed that my recearch progressed at the end of the game.

Well im about to play the WW2 scenario now (ill apply the patch first).

See ya

Old December 31, 2000, 01:05   #8
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 02:17
Should you buy the game?: Good question. If your totally desperate and can't wait for Civ3 and want something different than Civ2 I first would suggest buying Alpha Centauri. Why? It's similar to Civ2 in presentation and overall enjoyment and Alpha Centauri is much more challenging than CTP 1 or 2. Why not CTP2? (1) Way too easy. I have played on every difficulty level up to and including very hard (not impossible yet) and I have destroyed the computer opponents every time. I have never played a full game of CTP2 because it got boring and I restarted. If you read other posts on this board you'll see some people have said that even impossible is too easy. So keep this in mind that if you found Civ1 or 2 easy to beat CTP2 will be a wash.
(2) If you really liked Civ1 and 2 you may be disappointed by CTP2. The CTP games just aren't as fun as the Civ's.
If you've already played Alpha Centauri and are sure you don't want to play Civ2 again.....CTP2 may fill part of the gap until CIV3 is out but not all....I myself have already gotten out my copy of Alpha Centauri. I'll probably install it soon but I'm going to give CTP2 one more chance by playing a game on impossible difficulty level first.
I wouldn't say don't buy it but be aware that CTP2 does not stand up to Civ1,2 or SMAC. IMHO.

Good luck.
Old December 31, 2000, 02:46   #9
ACOLKitty
Prince

Location: Triangle of Death Founding Member and Ambassador to Polytubbie land.
I would agree that SMAC is a better way to go. You can get it for almost nothing then buy CTP2 when it is cheap.

CTP2 is far too weasy. The tips on making the AI more agressive help alot, but may need to be bumped up even more.
Old December 31, 2000, 18:38   #10
Darth_Kristian
Settler

Well yes , SMAC is more difficult than CTP2 but i think the games are just as entertaining.

And if you really want a good challenge , let the computer start with an advantage (by using the editor)
a few extra cities and some more techs , a couple of units , that usually makes the computer stronger.

A lot of trade goods and more land-mass is also good as the computer finds it easier to expand that way
and they can build more troops , they dont have to send their troops across oceans either , and i know the computer is lousy at doing that , the biggest invasion i ever had across an ocean was two marines in a longship and support from an empty aircraft carrier.

If you really trie you enjoy CTP and CTP2 , don`t discard it just because it does not have SID MEIER labeled on the box.

Now could someone please help me with science!!!!!?
Old December 31, 2000, 21:45   #11
Simpleton
Prince

I would agree to waiting until CTP2 is in the bargain bin. If you can wait you'll feel you got a much better bang for the buck.
In my case I feel I got ripped. I played 2 games of CTP never to completion, cause it just wasn't fun and I paid $40 bucks for it. Thats $20 per game.
I have played 5 games of CTP2, none to completion and I paid $80 smackers for it. Again $20 bucks per game.

On the other flip of the coin I think I've played at least 100 games of Civ2, 99% of them to completion and at $40 bucks that's $.40 per game....Thanks Sid....
Old December 31, 2000, 22:43   #12
mosquitodriver
Chieftain

NO
Old January 2, 2001, 06:58   #13
Deathwalker
Prince

NO don't buy it, I bought it and within a week I wentack to Civ 2, this has happenned on CTP, SMAC and TOT. None of them have lived up to the expectation and it is very easy to win even on the hard levels, though if you liked CTP you should get it, but get it cheap or wait for the price to drop.

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old January 2, 2001, 14:20   #14
Alisia
Chieftain

What is the problem with everyone? Man, try to have fun

Instead of a war-like nation, go soft. Try to become friends with the other nations. Try to be nice for your people. You all seem to know the disadvantages of the AI. So, work around it.

I am tryong to create the Utopia I'd like to live in. Only a limited amount of cities. And no major terraforming. And I try to keep polution at a minimum. Because of my smaller size, I need to put quite some effort in my science, and often have to trade for new advances. And the AI is not easy to trade with . Try to win the game "diplomaticly", by becoming allies with everyone. Just try it...

Follow your ethical guidelines, not what is most powerfull. It is a civilization game. So create the one that you really want to live in. Not the one that is capabel of defeating a computer game as fast as possible. That is wank
Old January 2, 2001, 17:44   #15
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:17
quote:

Originally posted by Alisia on 01-02-2001 01:20 PM
Follow your ethical guidelines, not what is most powerfull. It is a civilization game. So create the one that you really want to live in. Not the one that is capabel of defeating a computer game as fast as possible.

I did follow my ethical guidelines in my first game. Played world map as Australia, and just like in real life external pressures from other countries tried to dictate where I colonised, and who I traded with. So I just build an army and conquered them all.

Bring on the Aussie Social Revolution!

OMG! What a thought. Us slack-ass Aussies revolting???
Old January 2, 2001, 21:18   #16
rwz
Chieftain

Actually Alisia you make a very good point. I think that Ive been conditioned by SMAC that sooner or later (mostly sooner) everyone is going to gang up on you so you better attack first to beat them down. In SMAC I sometimes played NICE. Did not start wars and when offered peace accepted it. It was very challenging and fun, and yes there was plenty of action cause some one would always do a Pearl Harbor on you. I haven't tried CTP2 this way, Ive always been attacking. So maybe thats the next challenge, try to win by being the nice guy!
I think this could get kinda boring with out the aggresive AI but its worth a game. Does any one know if the AI civs grow to hate you if your number one in power, science, points, etc?

Old January 3, 2001, 02:04   #17
Qilue
King

I'm also wondering whether or not to buy CTP2. I did buy C:CTP and really tried to like it, but the interface turned me off the game so fast.

So, I ask this, should I spend another $90 for CTP2 having wasted $90 buying C:CTP?

(btw, I'm in Australia)
Old January 3, 2001, 08:44   #18
Alisia
Chieftain

Believe me, you will have a hard time... Just getting a peace treaty is nearly impossible. I play with a lot of nations, and only Portugal is nice to me. I got one near-enemy, that is Nicaragua.

The list?
1) Nicaragua
2) Japan (me)
3) Portugal

So, I guess number two and three are ganging up on one?

All the other nations are more or less friendly, ie. they arent at war. They refuse to make peace though. But heck, no way I am going to give them tech!!!
Old January 3, 2001, 09:20   #19
Men
Settler

You will quickly tire of the game. The weak AI makes it far to easy to win by military force on any difficulty setting.

Save your cash or wait till it hits the bargain bin.
Old January 3, 2001, 14:48   #20
Alisia
Chieftain

THEN - DO - NOT - USE - A - MILITARY - VOICE

Vous comprends?
Old January 3, 2001, 18:26   #21
supremus
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Kristian on 12-25-2000 10:30 AM
Should i buy CTP2?

Should i buy the game?

Please help me!!

I'm not the right person to give you any advise. I bought CTP I and tossed it in a drawer some months ago. I was waiting for opinions from the CTP II early buyers to listen first impressions, and in according to what I have heard I'm not going to buy it. I don't have too much time to play, so I use the time I have with Civ2 and I will continue waiting for Civ3.
P.S. SMAC is a good option if you want something different while waiting.

Old January 3, 2001, 23:31   #22
Simpleton
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Mouse on 01-03-2001 01:04 AM

So, I ask this, should I spend another $90 for CTP2 having wasted $90 buying C:CTP?

(btw, I'm in Australia)

Mouse, I would say save your $90 until it gets in the bargain bin. I paid $80 and I regret every dollar. Activision won't tell you this but I will CTP2 is a patch! Patches should be free but if they were going to charge for this one I would probably pay $30. (Of course I'm talking in Canadian $'s.) If you can wait a couple more months this you should be able to find this one used or in the cheap section since it's definitely not a keeper.

Old January 3, 2001, 23:36   #23
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

If you have the money spare then buy CTP2 rather then SMAC although SMAC had some new ideas and better diplomacy then Civ2 the changes are nothing compared to CTP2. In C2P2 you have Public Works so your not spending half your turns trundling settlers around the place building irrigation and roads. Before I bought CTP2 I would have said I liked the micromanagement in Civ2 and SMAC but now I've played ctp2 the amount of time you now have for the more important stuff like smashing the hated Mongolians into submission far outweighs the small loss of personal connection you feel to your empire. Overall I'd say CTP2 is a much better game then SMAC both graphically, (I never likes the SMAC maps it always seemed like there was only 4 or 5 colours used, ) and in improving gameplay and in actually creating a Different game then civ2.
Buy It.

------------------
" mind over body "
Old January 4, 2001, 00:00   #24
Simpleton
Prince

To be honest your not going to get entirely objective viewpoints here or anywhere. Everyone either prefers CIV2 or CTP. I know I prefer CIV2. I would suggest going to a couple of online game magazines (eg. Gamespot, PC Gamer, etc) and checking reviews for each. I wish I would have heeded Gamespots advice on CTP2. Unfortunately, I got wound up in the hype by Activision and this site that CTP2 was astounding!
Try reading a couple of reviews and see if that helps. You will see that CIV2 gets great reviews across the board and CTP2 is at best mixed. But rather than just looking at the scores read why the reviewers gave the score they did. These guys test hundreds of games so they often pickup on what works and what doesn't so they can often offer a viewpoint that is perhaps more detached (albeit not necessarily more valid, just a different viewpoint).
That's my advice. I'd only wish I would have taken it $80 dollars ago.

G
Old January 5, 2001, 00:49   #25
Jen Dragon
Chieftain

No Ive yet to finish a game even after the patch crashes dead at some point consistantly.
Old January 8, 2001, 04:32   #26
Qilue
King

Another question, does CTP2 favour a building style or a conquerer style of play? In Civ2 and SMAC, I usually play a defensive builder style.
Old January 10, 2001, 01:59   #27
Diadochi
Settler

NO don't buy CTP2

Buy Civ 2, SMAC, or even MOO 2.

They are all better games, and also cheaper to purchase.
Old January 10, 2001, 07:13   #28
GoldenComet
Settler

No, don't buy it.
I haven't even finished one single game, and I probably never will too.
Too long, too many "bugs" in AI, diplomacy and facing the same Civs over and over again.
Gone back to Civ2 (or what's left of the original after multiple changes)
Civ2 and SMAC are much more interesting and cheaper too.
Regarding CTP2 as a patch isn't far off.
Old January 10, 2001, 22:58   #29
Baloo
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Alisia on 01-03-2001 01:48 PM
THEN - DO - NOT - USE - A - MILITARY - VOICE

Vous comprends?

What? You want to try winning by Scientific victory? Heheh. That idiotic scientific victory where you must plant obelisks all over the world. Boy, the game designers must've think this kind of victory is just an afterthought or something. It's like a cross between the spaceship victory of Civilization games and the alien nexus victory of SMAC:Xfire. Yeah, good thinking and how original .

To me this game is very enjoyable at the beginning rounds. As the game progresses, I begin to realize something has to be missing here: stale AI personalities, boring (yet expansive) diplomacy options, and little rewards in nurturing a peaceful civilization. People tend to use military approach because that's the sensible way to do in this game where playing it safe is not rewarded appreciatevely. The peculiar Science victory is probably the Coup de grace.

Lastly, I'm not biased toward Civ2, CTP, and SMAC (they're old games anyway). So buy this game if it's on discount. It has the same addictive quality of any Civilization building games, but if you're an afficionado of all types of good games, this one is far from excellent.

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited January 10, 2001).]
Old January 11, 2001, 01:08   #30
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:17
How about playing the game like the Palestinians and Israelies conduct themselves in our real world?

Palestinians bomb Israel facilities and kill civilians.

Israelies are outraged about the terrorist attacks and close Palestine territories from parts of Israel.

Palestinians threaten to go to war.

Israelies threaten to go to war.

They conduct emergency peace talks.

Results of peace talks last for half a year.

Palestinians bomb some more.

Israelies close off territory again.

Palestinians . . . . well, you get the idea.