Old December 15, 2000, 22:27   #1
gp3
Settler

Local Time: 09:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Multiplayer Fixed? I think NOT
OK..this is getting really, really annoying!!

MP TCP/IP & IPX is still having resyncing problems. We got the new patch, was really excited to finally be able to play a full game, and the game bombed out around 2400bc. One of our players over the network gets stuck constantly resyncing. The resyncing window comes up, the status bar just sits there. No movement. You have to click cancel, reload, and the same thing happens.

So, is this a MP game? Do you playtest this thing before you ship it? And if you DO playtest it, FIRE THOSE PEOPLE!! You want real playtesters? Send me an email, because you need help bigtime.

Mainly, I think everyone is disappointed with this game. It's a wonderful game to play all by yourself, but don't lie to us. For multiplayer, the thing is crap. It's worse than crap, it's vapor-ware!!!

Sorry for sounding negative, but your wasting my time!
GP3

Old December 23, 2000, 23:14   #2
aebbeka
Civilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEM
King

Local Time: 03:18
I am not seeing what everyone is saying is so bad about multiplayer (other than no PBEM). I have been playing a MP game over our LAN and have gotten to about 100 BC and have had no problems.
Old December 24, 2000, 15:41   #3
TheReverend
Settler

Glad to hear it. @8-)

Maybe only the people having problems bother to post to this board at all - even so, there's a lot of us. It's good to hear that someone is having success with CTP2 MP.

Is this [i]after[/] you installed the patch? The patch certainly has helped MP stability - although the jury is still out on just how much.

If you've had a game with no problems without installing the patch, well that seems like a small miracle. @8-)

Merry Christmas!

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith

Old December 30, 2000, 21:25   #4
sthuler
Settler

Local Time: 10:18
Have some minor problems in Multiplayer, too
- constant resynch (but working one at last!)
- only host seems to have accurate ETA for constructions : other ppl have elapsed time OK in memory, but doesn't display well
- have a phantom IA : I mean I have only one IA but the computer adds one during IA turns! Funny, isn't it!
- oh, and can't load bombers in air-carriers if they are loaded with missiles! Really annoying!

That's all... Minor, thogh and CTP2 is really GREAT!
Old January 7, 2001, 18:14   #5
AnthemX
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by sthuler on 12-30-2000 08:25 PM
Have some minor problems in Multiplayer, too
- constant resynch (but working one at last!)
- only host seems to have accurate ETA for constructions : other ppl have elapsed time OK in memory, but doesn't display well

I had the synching issue as well on the non-host machine pre-patch 1.11. Now it still happens, albeit less frequently. However, now when it does, it crashes the non-host!

We also see the ETA issue... very odd!
Old January 8, 2001, 14:25   #6
wittlich

What exactly did the patch actualy fix? The multiplay funtionality of the game is still broke.

My friend and I have been trying to complete a multiplayer game since we bought the copies of CTP2 (yes, we actually shelled out the money for two full versions of the game!

Anyway, we have noticed that prior to the patch and even after the patch, if you are the host, the game (for you) is playable. However, if you are the other player(s), the constant resyncs totally destroys the enjoyment of the game. These resyncs occur when ever someone unloads units for any type of transport (be it boats, helicopters, ect.). It's almost as if the unit or unit(s) become permanently "attached" the the respective transport and the game doesn't recognize the eventual separation of these intities - hence the resync. After the resync occurs, the units are back on their respective transports as if the disembark command was never recieved. This is even true if you disembark the unit and move the transport away - after the resync, the units are back with their transport, even though the transport is in the new location!

We have found out that if the person who is not hosting the game wants to disembark units, the current host of the game has to actually leave the game - hense making the other player the host. The former host then rejoins the game (dynamic joining has to be "on" from the setup) and the new "host" can then drop off his/her units. Now if the former host wants to offload units, then the other player has to leave the game, making the former host the host again. We have noticed that this is very time consuming and not really a viable work around. Needless to say, interest in playing the game quickly wanes. On a LAN game you can easily talk to your opponent and hand-off the hosting control....but on a WAN/Internet game? This is not feasible. We even tried it but had to stay in telephone contact to inorder to coordinate our moves (I'm in North Carolina - he's in New Hampshire) -Talk about a "killer" phone bill!

In addition, when the game resyncs, the following occures with the non-host machine:

All of his cities revert back to the "stone ages" - even if you're in the modern age.

All of his listening posts, sonar buoys cease to work.

If the non host was building tile emprovements at the time of the resync, all emprovements which are in the process of being built disappear - along with the PW spent on them.

Science Research - Lets say the non-host originally had 18 turns to discover Economics (for example) and currently had 6 turns to discover the advance - a resync occurs - the turns left for the research advance is back to 18 turns! Now this is not a real "show stopper" since the non host in reality still only has 6 turns left, and will recieve the advance at the end of the final 6 turns. However this is very un-nerving to constantly see your research revert back to its start.

I am convenced that this game could be very enjoyable and entertaining - but these Multiplay bugs/errors must be address in order for CTP2 to actually be called a "Multiplayable" game. As it stands now, Activision is guilty of false advertisement when they advertised CTP2 as a mutliplayer game.

My friend and I have sence gone back to playing CTP, CIVII-TOT, and CIVII Gold. But sence we have accomplished all of the features of these games, there is nothing new for us to look forward to. I realy hope Activision comes out with the REAL patch for CTP2 soon....
Ciao!

Old January 12, 2001, 21:09   #7
RevBPS
Settler

I'll have to agree with Yoda that CTP2 1.1 can now actually be called multi-playable, albeit still with annoyances.

The LAN games I've played recently have gone pretty smoothly, with the only issue being that the client still doesn't always get reliable info about "turns until next advance", "turns to build next unit/improvement", etc.

The one internet-based game I played had worse problems. This was with 3 people: me on a Win98 machine, my girlfriend on a Win2000 machine in the same room, and our friend 30 miles away on a Win2000. First my girlfriend tried to host - I could join, but our firend couldn't. Next our friend tried to host - again, I could join, but now my girlfriend couldn't. Finally when I hosted with the Win98 machine, both could join. @8-\

We've played for about 4 hours so far, and in that time, our friend has been booted from the game 4 times. If he dropped during my girlfriend's turn, she would become the host, and then he couldn't join, so she would have to quit the game, making me the host, and they would have to both dynamically join. Didn't ruin the game - but hardly smooth sailing. We are all on DSL lines, so this should not be blamed on our connections.

I've posted with some harsh criticism of Activision, so I want to reiterate that the reason these game problems are so annoying is that when it is working CTP2 is a really fun game to play. It's not the perfect incarnation of a Civ-based game, but they did a good job with it. I have not been tempted to go back to Civ2, Civ, or CTP1.

That said, Activision's promoting the 1.0 game to the public as a "multiplayer game" was dastardly. Hey! Do not sell broken games to the public for $50 and then fix them later. Seriously. Stop it now.

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith

[This message has been edited by RevBPS (edited January 12, 2001).]
Old January 13, 2001, 01:43   #8
yoda
Prince

Local Time: 01:18
Patch 1.1 has gone a long way to solve the MP problems.
I've completed several games now with only minor resync. problems. However, there are still some problems between different people seeing different things on their computers. But in general, MP is now playable.

But you are right about one thing... these people SERIOUSLY need competent play-testers and should get them from dedicated players.

Yoda

quote:

Originally posted by gp3 on 12-15-2000 09:27 PM
OK..this is getting really, really annoying!!

MP TCP/IP & IPX is still having resyncing problems. We got the new patch, was really excited to finally be able to play a full game, and the game bombed out around 2400bc. One of our players over the network gets stuck constantly resyncing. The resyncing window comes up, the status bar just sits there. No movement. You have to click cancel, reload, and the same thing happens.

So, is this a MP game? Do you playtest this thing before you ship it? And if you DO playtest it, FIRE THOSE PEOPLE!! You want real playtesters? Send me an email, because you need help bigtime.

Mainly, I think everyone is disappointed with this game. It's a wonderful game to play all by yourself, but don't lie to us. For multiplayer, the thing is crap. It's worse than crap, it's vapor-ware!!!

Sorry for sounding negative, but your wasting my time!
GP3