Old January 2, 2001, 02:00   #1
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 09:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Does anyone want lists of .txts to mod?
I am creating a list of what different txt files to find what in if you want to modify it.It's only small now but I will be expanding it in the future.Some people have said they were interested but i wanted to know how many people need it.

------------------
" mind over body "
Old January 2, 2001, 12:55   #2
Davor
Chieftain

you mean you will list the txt.files to change? if so i would be interested in such things. I hope i didnt read it wrong.

Davor
Old January 2, 2001, 17:45   #3
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:18
Count me in too.

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 2, 2001, 21:07   #4
rwz
Chieftain

I'd want it!
Old January 2, 2001, 21:18   #5
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Wouldnt it be easier to post to a web page than to mail them out?

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old January 2, 2001, 21:48   #6
MapleLeaf
Warlord

Local Time: 01:18
List of files alone is only a half of a deal. Most gamers will need examples to be able to make modifications they want. Anyway, count me in, please.
Old January 3, 2001, 01:10   #7
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Most of the files i've toyed with have been quite easy to understand and some even have explanations written in beside them still I will post some examples if you want.
I am mailing the lists to Mark and hopefully he will be posting them somewhere on this site, again it's still small but i am expanding it and putting in helpful tips along the way.
It is mostly lists of files but with tips and warnings along the way
Glad to see so much interest.surely the game can't be so bad you all want to change it

------------------
" mind over body "
Old January 3, 2001, 01:47   #8
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:18
quote:

Originally posted by Darkknight on 01-03-2001 12:10 AM
Glad to see so much interest.surely the game can't be so bad you all want to change it

It's not so much that, but that we want the Artificial Stupid to be able to play Artificial Semi-Stupid.

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 3, 2001, 01:53   #9
Bluevoss
Prince

I'm in.

------------------
Bluevoss-
Old January 3, 2001, 04:46   #10
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

I've actually got the AI running around with stacks of units attacking my cities. unfortunately for the AI, I like mass defense. But I have had some cities taken and had my butt kicked a few times. The biggest problem for the AI is that I stack alot and its internal check says it cant beat me so withdraws. This game might have potential after all. I mostly just used the tips in the threads and played around myself with the values. Play test it with cheat mode on so i can see how the Ai reacts to the changes. If after a few dozen turns it looks like they are getting smarter, I'll play a game until its obvious I cant lose. Then make more changes.

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old January 3, 2001, 22:05   #11
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

What files did you edit and could you mail me them so i can have a look i've tried uping the amount of offensive units he builds by edithing the UnitBuildList.txt and also the Strategies.txt Ive noticed more offensive units but he still hasn't attacked me much.

Gondhi_dm@hotmail.com

------------------
" mind over body "
Old January 4, 2001, 01:06   #12
wyrmcrusher
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Alpha Wolf on 01-03-2001 03:46 AM
I've actually got the AI running around with stacks of units attacking my cities. unfortunately for the AI, I like mass defense.

Please, tell us what you did! In my game, the Irish are running around with dozens of troop ships, just sailing the seven seas!
Old January 4, 2001, 17:32   #13
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 04:18
Specific instructions for editing/adding the following is needed, although there have been some instructions on unit and advance additions...

Advances
Units
Governments
City and tile improvements

...including clearly spelled out, step-by-step instructions, and examples of what to change in the various files, and what to leave alone.

Here's an example of what I am taking about...

I added several governments to my game, using the cut-and-paste method and replacing the word 'Monarchy' with the word 'City State' every time it appeared. I made the changes to all the other files that needed to be changed too. When I loaded the new file through the Scenario option, the game crashed with the message that the game could not find the fields for workday coeff, and so forth...

I resolved the issue in the government by leaving the SameRankAdvice line in all of my new governments to the Monarchy settings (see below for example)

################################################## ##########

GOVERNMENT_CITY_STATE {
Icon ICON_GOV_CITY_STATE
EnableAdvance ADVANCE_CITY_STATE
Rank 1
SameRankAdvice GOVERNMENT_MONARCHY_SAME_RANK_ADVICE
HigherRankAdvice GOVERNMENT_MONARCHY_HIGHER_RANK_ADVICE

My question is, does this SameRankAdvice line link up to a file and affect gameplay? If so, where do I need to go to make the change. Or is it alright to leave those lines as is?

I have yet to test the game setting with the new government, as I am still in the process of making changes though, but at least the game will load without crashing.

Changing numbers is actually very easy, but making actual additions to existing data is where the instructions are most needed IMO.

And it would be nice to have all this info in one file, available for download.
Old January 4, 2001, 23:23   #14
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Lots of different files like when editing units are connected to many other files.I edited the samarui unit into a legion unit then i wrote the first chapter of a Modification Guide the first example was how to edit the name of the hoplite to phalanx i posted it here in the creation section when i asked for ideas for chapters. I then tried it myself as the next eg. was to change it's defense rate. When i edited it i just changed everything in the files to change using ctrl-H
That didn't work i reloaded the originals(*very important*) and tried to do it more carefully going through all the files changing only the main name checking to run CTP2 after each file.The last error was to do with the exe. so I am now reinstalling the game for the second time today
What got me was i did it the first time i tried then i mucked it up the second time.I'm going to look through my legion mod and see what i did then use that as the example and give strict step by step instructions.
Anyone with info on this please mail me or reply here.
Here we go another 10 min install

------------------
" mind over body "
Old January 5, 2001, 01:08   #15
wyrmcrusher
Settler

Yes, I would like it too.

------------------
To secure peace is to prepare for war.
Old January 13, 2001, 22:19   #16
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Um as MarkG is sort of creating a similiar guide asd to what i was trying to create ive stopped writing it any specific thing you need to know about modding mail me or post it here i'll be glad to help.

------------------
" mind over body "