Old December 15, 2000, 14:32   #1
Dave Boshko

I like exploring then hitting reload
but seriously if the goody huts are close by you can find em pretty quick with your first warrior

Old December 15, 2000, 19:55   #2
Prince_Vegeta
Settler

Local Time: 09:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My last game I spent some time (maybe ten turns) using my settler to expore and find the best terrain to build on. I actually did better in that game than i'm doing in my present one.
Old December 16, 2000, 00:33   #3
Dominous Nemo
Chieftain

I try to find the best spot for the settler but if I can't find a highly productive land within at least 10 moves I settle for the best of what I can see.
Old December 16, 2000, 01:02   #4
Didymus
lifer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:18
One Settler: Build or Explore 1st?
I recently started my second game on Very Hard. (I quit my first after the Barb AI finished Ramayana w/o any warning. The Ramayana is one of my must-have wonders.)

Having had trouble with my slow start, I decided to explore with my settler before plunking down a city. So I popped a couple huts, got a nomad and a hoplite, and then settled down.

Now, it probably didn't matter, long-term, because I was alone on the second largest continent in the game. But this seems about the only way to make up for the slow start of having only one settler.

Do other people do this, or am I weird?

[This message has been edited by Didymus (edited December 15, 2000).]
Old December 16, 2000, 02:09   #5
MrFun
Emperor

If I do not find a productive starting point for my first city within four moves, I quit and start on a new random map.
Old December 16, 2000, 03:39   #6
rwz
Chieftain

Ive been pretty lucky, Ive always been able to settle within about 2 turns in a passable location. Two games ago I founded Rome and then found I was in a small clearing surrounded mostly by tundra. I was going to restart but decided to give it a few turns. I was soon able to find the Americans, trash them, and from their fat citys go on to world domination.
I read some where for Civ2 that you should found your 1st city on your first turn no matter what. That you can never recoup the turns spent wandering. I usually follow that advice.
Old December 16, 2000, 04:05   #7
phoenixcager

I tend to vary between explring in the first few moves and settling down almost immediately.
Depends on what kind of terrain I start on. I don't particularly look for an extremely good spot, though.

Old December 16, 2000, 05:27   #8
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

I'll explore for a few turns hoping to find a hut or 2. You are only safe from barbarians for 20 turns, so you have to be settled and defended by then.

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old December 17, 2000, 03:12   #9
Dragonfly
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:18
I usually save my game immediately, build right where my settler is, and explore with warriors for about 20 turns. Knowing where your settler started, pick a better spot is there is one, then reload and go there, and then on with the rest of the game.
Old December 17, 2000, 03:58   #10
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 18:18
Hmmm, when I read posts by players who say they've beaten the AI on impossible and the game is too easy I always think to myself, "Am I stupid? The middle levels are a challenge for me." Now I see that some (many?) players make sure everything is in their favour at the beginning of the game or they start over. Or, they use the reload option to start again after exploring. I don't do these things because I enjoy the challenge of being stuck in a rotten place and then trying to make a decent nation despite the odds or the unknown. Also, I don't play to win (I'm not a competitive person by nature); I play to make the best civilisation I can under hostile conditions. But that's just me.
Old December 17, 2000, 15:45   #11
Ioannes
Settler

Personally, I also settle ASAP. From my experience in CTP I could still beat the AI on Deity level using my resources efficiently. I'm trying to finish a 16 player Gigantic Map Very Hard game now with out having to restart. I'm very much in the lead with out any challengers. The struggle I'm having is staying interested in a game that I have already beaten. I'm going to try to approach Conquering the World and Science victory equally and see what happens. Waiting for 190 turn will be a struggle.
Ioannes

------------------
Old December 18, 2000, 09:50   #12
Didymus
lifer
Warlord

Anatolia:

I'm not as eager to reload/restart as my comments may have made me seem. I folded partly because it was my first game on Very Hard; partly because I got NO warning about the Barbs nearing completeion on the Ramayana (when I could have bought it the previous turn ); but also largely because my strategic position was dismal. I would have needed to take out the Americans, with whom I was sharing a medium-sized half-artic continent. And all the nearby landmasses were settled.

The only time I explore then reload is when I am trying to beat Diety, or OCC. Neither of which I have ever managed to do.

[This message has been edited by Didymus (edited December 18, 2000).]
Old December 27, 2000, 18:37   #13
mananath
Settler

I like to settle within the first 2 turns. Preferably on or near a river. The only exception to this is if a hut is visibile immediately. I will then build a warrior and immediately send him out of the city to explore. Keep in mind, i usually dont' play with barbarians so this isn't to big of a deal.
-mike
Old December 28, 2000, 00:57   #14
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:18
I like to plonk my city down within 5 turns (should know what's around the starting spot by then). If after you can build the capital and your capital is in a crap location, then rebuild to a new city, rip up your starting city and move the settler somewhere else. All that city should be doing at the start is building settlers and units anyway, so you can disband it. That way you get the best of both worlds. Good city locations, but no loss on turns without a city.

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old December 28, 2000, 18:55   #15
JC Denton
Chieftain

1) i played my third game now and i've never seen those huts you guys are talking about. yeah, i know what they are supposed to look like and i could find really a lot of those in Civ2, but i've never encountered one. is there an option to turn it on?

2) i ALWAYS build a city right where i start the game (unless it is a complete desert, a swamp or a tundra) cuz that way you are the first one to start building those wonders and i hate when AI nations build wonders

3) i don't usually play on really high levels cuz it's no fun to play for 6 hours and then losing at the end. it's ok in racing games where a match is only 5 minutes long but not here. maybe after i gain some knowledge and find out good unit combinations (tactics), i will move on to higher diff levels

[This message has been edited by JC Denton (edited December 28, 2000).]
Old December 29, 2000, 01:37   #16
Falconeer
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by JC Denton on 12-28-2000 05:55 PM
1) i played my third game now and i've never seen those huts you guys are talking aboutis there an option to turn it on?

3) i don't usually play on really high levels
[This message has been edited by JC Denton (edited December 28, 2000).]

In order for the huts to show up you have to play on Medium or above. I've played a couple games at beginner, easy and medium and saw no difference between beginner and easy (actually easy has been easier than beginner with my last victory coming in 800ad) and only a marginal difference between beginner and medium. Give it a try. In medium you get the huts that add some randomness and you can also randomize the civs you play against so it's not always the same ones over and over.
Old January 2, 2001, 11:36   #17
wyrmcrusher
Settler

I always build ASAP, but that's because I play the game aggressively. I like to fill every available nook and cranny as fast as possible, even if it means overlapping city radii. ( In Civ 2 I used to regularly build 60 to 100 cities without conquering any. )

------------------
To secure peace is to prepare for war.
Old January 11, 2001, 18:12   #18
Tjoepie
Chieftain

I use the cheat menu to uncover the fog of war and then just to see where to put my first and second city then hit restart. But I only look around my start place not to spoil the game ...
Old January 13, 2001, 17:48   #19
Quivering
Settler

I explore max 3 turns, usually none.
Old January 14, 2001, 01:02   #20
Davor
Chieftain

I have to laugh at all you guys.I agree with Anatolia. You guys complain the game is too easy but you still cheat. IF the ai is so pathetic then why cheat at the begining of the game?

also why make your settler or warrior explore the land and then reload the game? why not just go to the cheat menu and then clear the world and for of war off and see where you are instead of wasting all that time exploring. Or did I read your posts wrong?

Davor
Old January 14, 2001, 20:07   #21
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I usually settle right away, but sometimes I will explore if I am not in a desirable spot. I never explore then reload.

Jonny
Old January 15, 2001, 06:42   #22
micrif
Settler

I always settle the first round, with one exception: if my settler is next to a river I'll move it to the river and settle there.

I always start making warriors to explore. If you play it right you can have your first warrior in about 5-7 turns (depending on terain)
Old January 17, 2001, 16:34   #23
Obviak
Settler

I always try to get at least one hut before settling down. The idea is to explore with another unit while the city is doing its first build. Hate to just have wait for a build with no unit to move