Old January 4, 2000, 14:05   #1
Sieve Too
Prince

Local Time: 23:28
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The AI can move its capital city instantly if it has 1000 gold or more. You need to keep capturing the new capital until the AI has less than 1000 gold. Unfortunately, that's the only way. Interestingly, if you or the AI lose your capital and don't bother to rebuild the Palace anywhere, then there is no way at all to destroy the new space ship short of destroying the entire civ!
Old January 4, 2000, 14:18   #2
higdon
Settler

Thanks. The Vikings have a lot of money ($9000+), a lot of cities (35+), and a lot of anger. This is going to be brutal, I'm afraid.

Bob Higdon
Old January 4, 2000, 15:51   #3
klesh
King

Local Time: 19:28
Sieve,

That's exactly what has just happened to me.
I captured Barcelona from the Spaniards and destroyed their competetive spaceship.
They now have no capital but are rebuilding.
I have such a lead and there is no way they can catch up.
See ya on AC!
Old January 4, 2000, 16:53   #4
poppawoppa
Warlord

Local Time: 15:28
higdon

I had a game where the French were already launched and expected to land in 16 years. I used the time to build almost exclusively the Howitzer, along with a few tanks for the 3 move points.

The year before the French were to land, I opened up an all out assault against them, First taking Paris. The French civ split into two civs, French and Carthaganians. A new French capital. (They had started with about 19000 gold so I knew I had a long battle) New Capital was assaulted next, and again after capture the French (remaining) split into French and Sioux.

This continued as I had over 100 Howitzers to bring into play against the various new French capitals, and they split into Aztecs, Japanese and Romans. Each time with a new capital until the split with the Romans, when they finally didn't have enough money to buy a new palace. Then I finally got the message I had been waiting for.....The French Space Ship has Been RECALLED. Within two more turns, I had wiped out the French, the Barbarians had destroyed the Japanese and the Romans (who only had units, no cities) and I was resting my Howitzers in Barracks cities, to push the Aztecs, Sioux and Carths off the world which I considered my Diety Province.
Old January 4, 2000, 19:32   #5
Smash
Emperor

I think you might be sunk in this game.For every 1000 gold you will have to capture another capitol.Sometimes the capitol will move a million miles away.Kinda hard to get them before their SS arrives.At least they havn't launched yet.Good luck

ps..when you do get them(I know you will) make sure to capture the capitol intact.As mentioned,if the cap is destroyed you will have to wipe them out completely to stop the SS
[This message has been edited by Smash (edited January 04, 2000).]
Old January 5, 2000, 01:36   #6
higdon
Settler

Destroying enemy spaceship
I cross-posted a similar message in the help forum earlier today. The issue is simple: How do you knock out a rival's spaceship?

In a game I'm playing the Vikings were furiously building a spaceship in their capital city, "A." I conquered that city and expected to see the spaceship destroyed. That didn't happen. Instead the capital (and the undamaged spaceship) were moved to city "B."

What did I do wrong, and how can I kill that spaceship? Please don't tell me that I have to wait until it's launched and then go after the launch city . . .

Bob Higdon
Old January 7, 2000, 15:59   #7
higdon
Settler

Well, things went well. I systematically knocked out other Viking cities and depleting their treasury. When it was below $1,000, I came in with the howitzers, took the capital, and destroyed the spaceship they were building. It worked like a charm. In a few more turns I reduced the once powerful Vikings to a tiny village that is surrounded by my Sioux. They have not attempted to rebuild the ship.

Thanks for the input on this issue. I don't know how anyone would ever figure it out. I surely don't recall seeing this strategy mentioned in the book.

Bob Higdon
Old January 7, 2000, 18:41   #8
FreeChina
Chieftain

In MP, if you were to SELL your palace, would your spaceship become invulnerable?
Old January 7, 2000, 20:05   #9
Smash
Emperor

you can't sell your palace.At least I can't.

There is a trick you can do-move your cap to a size 1 city after launch.This way your cap will be destroyed not captured if someone should try.Your SS will continue on its merry way.The cap must be captured to destroy the SS.This is a cheat for sure.
[This message has been edited by Smash (edited January 07, 2000).]