Old January 22, 2001, 17:58   #1
roalan
Warlord

Local Time: 04:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hasbro
What short memories you all have. Remember BOTF from Hasbro and how there was the same support as Activision gave CTP@ and you all said NEVER AGAIN WILL WE BUY A HASBRO PRODUCT.Just like Activision aye??. I do not think either Co. is worried because they know you will be back buying the next product just in case it is a good one.
Old January 22, 2001, 19:39   #2
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 09:19
Actually Hasbro got itself into some serious financial trouble with it's gaming division and had to sell it off to Infogrammes.

You see? What comes around goes around...
[This message has been edited by CapTVK (edited January 22, 2001).]
Old January 22, 2001, 20:20   #3
wittlich

So what is "BOTF"?

Old January 22, 2001, 22:24   #4
Spiker22
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by wittlich on 01-22-2001 07:20 PM
So what is "BOTF"?

Star Trek: Birth of the Federation

Old January 22, 2001, 23:28   #5
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:19
I actually found BOTF a good game. I had not one problem with the thing.

I've also had similar success with other Hasbro products, so to me they are a good publisher. Besides, Hasbro doesn't program any of its games, it's only the publisher/name on the box. Activision on the other hand programs AND publishes. So my thinking is Hasbro shouldn't be shot for poor programming in its products, it's only the name on the box. However Activision IS responsible because it programmed CTP2 internally.

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 23, 2001, 09:29   #6
wittlich

LOL! Yep I also have Star Trek Birth of the Federation - played it for a couple of days then got tired of it...now it too is sitting on my bookself collecting dust. Your right, Birth of the Federation was NOT impressive at all!

Old January 23, 2001, 09:32   #7
wittlich

However, to this day I still play Hasbro's Risk...The original version (I thought the newer RISKII version was too restrictive on the multiplayer side of the house).

Old January 23, 2001, 19:26   #8
roalan
Warlord

I only mentioned what most of the other forum messages stated on the boards. I do like BOTF though it is a little slow.I would buy from Hasbro but most of the people on the forums would NOT
Old January 25, 2001, 06:35   #9
Gwap
Chieftain

Wouldn't boycotting Hasbro not mean that you boycot *all* computer games... and trading card games... and roleplaying games... etc. Ok, you could always buy Microsoft stuff

Then again, Hasbro are just a large publishing house. They don't know the first thing about computers or games or anything. They know about business (more or less profitable). That's the way things have worked out in the computer games industry. Small development companies go to a big corporate one to get their games distributed, marketted, and basically, sold.

And this is where the real issue is: the small companies only care about whether the big companies want to distribute for them. To the big companies, sales volumes (or more properly sales margins) are the important thing. A group of hardcore afficionados of one particular niche-product will have little influence on their profitability. There's plenty of idiots buying Pokemon (can *anybody* explain to me what THAT is anyway ).

Now, here I wanted to put a conclusion. But I can't think of any. Sorry. Too much effort to delete this again. If you have a conclusion, let me know

------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Old January 25, 2001, 12:36   #10
roalan
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Gwap on 01-25-2001 05:35 AM
Wouldn't boycotting Hasbro not mean that you boycot *all* computer games... and trading card games... and roleplaying games... etc. Ok, you could always buy Microsoft stuff

Then again, Hasbro are just a large publishing house. They don't know the first thing about computers or games or anything. They know about business (more or less profitable). That's the way things have worked out in the computer games industry. Small development companies go to a big corporate one to get their games distributed, marketted, and basically, sold.

And this is where the real issue is: the small companies only care about whether the big companies want to distribute for them. To the big companies, sales volumes (or more properly sales margins) are the important thing. A group of hardcore afficionados of one particular niche-product will have little influence on their profitability. There's plenty of idiots buying Pokemon (can *anybody* explain to me what THAT is anyway ).

Now, here I wanted to put a conclusion. But I can't think of any. Sorry. Too much effort to delete this again. If you have a conclusion, let me know

Its not me I will buy Civ3. If the message boards for BOTF are still around check them out and see how many people mentioned they would never buy a Hasbro product again. Hasbro only.