Old January 28, 2001, 19:08   #1
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Community Forums
quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 01-28-2001 06:55 AM
threads for general gaming articles like this are placed here cause this still remains the "Community" forum

That is interesting. I can't say I ever thought the Civ2 forum was the Community forum, not even back in my Civ2 days when I actually went to the Civ2 forums. Shouldn't a community forum be an unbiased forum that everybody visits every time they are here. The only forum close to that would be the Apolyton forum, wouldn't it?

All that aside, I enjoyed reading Pyaray's article. Hopefully, it has helped to open some people's eyes a little. Being a programmer, I am constantly amazed people think we can turn out 100,000 lines of bug-free code in just a few hours. They simply can't understand what a massive undertaking most programming projects are.

Thanks again Pyaray.
Old January 28, 2001, 19:26   #2
MarkG

the civ2-general being the "community" forum is left over of our first days...

Old January 28, 2001, 23:08   #3
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:20
quote:

Originally posted by skorpion59 on 01-28-2001 06:08 PMBeing a programmer, I am constantly amazed people think we can turn out 100,000 lines of bug-free code in just a few hours. They simply can't understand what a massive undertaking most programming projects are.

Here here, I agree. And I'm only a part time programmer! Don't know much about DirectX yet, but I'm getting there.

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 29, 2001, 00:07   #4
MidKnight Lament
King

I was wondering about the "community forum" myself. That's the first time I've ever even been in there.

------------------
- MKL ... "And a sun that doesn't set but settles" - Augie March
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org ............. All welcome.
Old January 29, 2001, 04:28   #5
Pyaray
Call to Power II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 01:20
quote:

Originally posted by Dale on 01-28-2001 10:08 PM
Here here, I agree. And I'm only a part time programmer! Don't know much about DirectX yet, but I'm getting there.

DirectX isn't so bad, as long as you don't actually need Direct3D or DirectPlay. Those are pretty rough. But DirectDraw and DirectSound changed PC gaming for the better.

Pyaray
Old January 29, 2001, 04:49   #6
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 10:20
They certainly did!! DirectX is a wonderful thing, one of the reasons WinNT4.0 never took off in the game community, as its version was sooooo slow (protected memory is sooo slooow).. and Skorpian is certainly correct .. its no easy task ..

However ...

Baring that in mind, we invent Design & Implementation methodologies to cope with the fact that customers expect .. like DSDM for example (RAD) ..

bases of which is .. get a quick and dirty product out, and patch it .. until the customer is happy ..

Now CTP2 players may be VERY familiar with the first half of this methodology (The quick and dirty bit) .. and you know, I was happy to go along with it, knowing V1.1, V1.2, and even V1.3 would come out, and make me a happy person again ..

But then ... the ANNOUNCEMENT ... that kindly says "We Activision have decided to scrap the bit about making customers happy, as we have your money now, and you can't do a thing about it ... Thankyou"..

To me, its not only completely unprofessional .. its devious and I for one will not be buying any games Activision make again .. you give our industry a bad name.

PS.. I believe many of the CTP2 team were not involved in this decision .. so, don't take any unflattering comments regards to Activision policy to heart .. I actually think had they followed the correct design methodolodies.. you'd of had a wonderful game by V1.3

------------------
"Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon
Old January 29, 2001, 18:12   #7
Dale
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by Pyaray on 01-29-2001 03:28 AM
DirectX isn't so bad, as long as you don't actually need Direct3D or DirectPlay. Those are pretty rough. But DirectDraw and DirectSound changed PC gaming for the better.

Pyaray

Direct3D is the course module I'm working on. But ya right, DirectDraw/Sound are great.

quote:

PS.. I believe many of the CTP2 team were not involved in this decision .. so, don't take any unflattering comments regards to Activision policy to heart .. I actually think had they followed the correct design methodolodies.. you'd of had a wonderful game by V1.3

I'm just cheesed off that I bought a Beta version for $90 (the current version is only worth calling a Beta) and don't get a Gold/release version. Or have to program that version myself!

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."