Old December 29, 1999, 14:54   #1
FreeChina
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:28
Local Date: October 30, 2010
AI always goes Fundy at end of game. Grr.
In every game I play, towards the end of the game, all the AI players go Fundy once they've researched all the technologies. This is extremely annoying, not to mention unrealistic.
There is a way to fix this problem, though. Go into rules.txt and raise the value of Future Technology from 1 to 5 and that keeps the AI from doing a mad switch to Fundamentalism. (which is such a massively abused government and leads to an all-out world war, especially when more than one civ is using it.) Sometimes I disable the Fundamentalism technology in the rules.txt file.
Your thoughts on this?
Old December 29, 1999, 15:02   #2
crowatbitemedotcom
Prince

Local Time: 17:28
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about changing the rules to prevent this. Usually in the games I use to play (I've only been playing OCC lately) the AI went fundy fairly quickly, about the time they got marines or alpine troops. In fact, I don't think I've ever played a game where the AI was researching a future tech, so I don't think your fix would help me. I view it as a challenge to take over the world (I hardly ever went for AC) while staying in a democracy to keep the science up.

And whatever you do, don't build the Manhattan Project. Unless you want all hell to break loose.
Old December 29, 1999, 15:18   #3
FreeChina
Chieftain

Just wondering, if the Project is destroyed, can nukes still be built? If the answer is no, a strategy for a nuclear-free world would be to use caravans to build it in a size 1 city, then buy engineers in that city, disbanding the city.
Old December 29, 1999, 22:57   #4
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:28
you guys are taking all the fun out of the game..... of course its not realistic but the best games are when your fighting the zulus and the French to the death and the Chinese and Indians are going for the moon.
Everyone who plays this game has lost and shook their head going .... what the @#$#@ did i do wrong? Complete mastery is no fun what so ever which is why MP games are the way to go...... ai is just to predictable and although many humans are too.... the ones that change accordingly are the true masters of the game.... even if they lose
Nukes are not to be feared.... but expect consequences for using them thats all
Old December 30, 1999, 00:35   #5
Krushala

I don't think I've had a game where the ai has gotten all the techs. Every once in a while I'll **** with them and give them all my techs. But I usually have them beaten down to a pulp by the time they get robotics (not good to let the ai get howitzers). They usually switch to fundamentalism because I'm kicking the **** out of them, not because they have nothing to research. But I don't play a peaceful game at the end. Depends on your style of play I guess.
Old December 30, 1999, 03:32   #6
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

i never "give" the ai anything... nothing in life is free and either are my sciences... however i believe in receiving "free" gifts for my patience... and i have little so i require alot of pacifying.

------------------
War is the answer when you need to strike first.

War is the answer when you think you should strike first

war is the answer when you think others may strike first.

Old December 30, 1999, 10:59   #7
Bohlen
Prince

Local Time: 18:28
War4ever: I agree with you concerning taking the fun out of the game. Changing the rules in order to make the AI's actions more "convenient" for me is just not my style. I love the challenge and if I ever change rules.txt I'll do it to make the game more challenging, not less. Hell, the challenges that this game poses are limitless given the different maps and starting locations alone, not to mention how you and the AI interact with each other on any one of the 400 turns. One game I'll kill the AI and in another I'll get my butt kicked. I still find the AI challenging, although I'm starting to dive into the multiplayer world now.

FreeChina: I'm not sure about whether or not nukes can be built if MP is destroyed, but what a great idea! I, unlike War4ever, can't stand nukes and pretty much turn into a huge wimp leader if the AI has some nukes.

I too never give any techs to the AI. Trading is ok if it is with a small nation that is not a threat. My experience has been that the AI switches to Democracy on me in the late stages. Maybe that's because I'm a dip/spy junkie who like to buy his way to the top.
Old December 30, 1999, 22:53   #8
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 18:28
You can't stop nukes by destroying the wonder city. It's been tried.
In my last game, the americans got ahead in tech(they built GL), and stayed in democracy to the bitter end. I played on one of the download maps(the name escapes me) which had six large continents. With a civ on each, the AI got a big lead and I could not build my normal wonders. Such a map should make for a more challenging game.
Old December 31, 1999, 21:48   #9
Carch
Rise of Nations MultiplayerPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: Multiplayer

Local Time: 16:28
war4ever writes:

Quote:
i never "give" the ai anything... nothing in life is free and either are my sciences... however i believe in receiving "free" gifts for my patience... and i have little so i require alot of pacifying.
Doesn't sound like you play the MGE. The AI is just as stingy as you--and they will gang up on you and declare war if you don't give 'em stuff every fifth turn or so. Usually easy to defend against, but it can sure slow ya down.

_/\ C
Old December 31, 1999, 21:54   #10
War4ever
Emperor

Carch .... i have every civ title out their and the only one which i play is MGE and i have been playing for just over a year on it.. I goto war with everyone pretty much at the same time if necessary... i don't care.... now in MP against humans well.... that is a different story

the ai to me is relatively easy to beat almost all the time... just trade trade trade and expand expand expand... really it is that easy
Old January 1, 2000, 04:32   #11
Carch
Rise of Nations MultiplayerPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: Multiplayer

Local Time: 16:28
Yeah... I stopped playing ICS in solo play because it got so boooooriiiing. The AI is a lot more of a challenge if you limit yourself to a few cities.

If the Mac version wasn't so buggy, I'd love to do a lot more multiplay--for a real challenge--but I've had extremely rotten luck there.

Cheers, and happy new years!
_/\ C
Old January 5, 2000, 08:31   #12
jlmk
Settler

Well, the AI always goes fundy here.I have tot.I don't mind.I'm the softy kind.The whole world can be embroiled in a nearly world war 3, but not much can make me help one side.I pay up their demands all the time.Usually.Sometimes I ignore them.
Old January 10, 2000, 05:55   #13
don Don

Fundy is the most unbalanced govt. It is ridiculous. Except for OCC I don't play with unmodified rules, and the first thing I did when I "discovered" that the rules could be modified was to change Fundy unit support from 10 to ZERO. If they want free units they can build Fanatics.

Apart from that I've mostly experimented with movement rates and prayed for Civ3.
----------
Shameless plug for the Civ3 List effort:
MOVEMENT, SUPPLY, ETC. (ver 2.0)
Movement Summary