Old February 2, 2001, 01:43   #1
Steve5304

Local Time: 09:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Corporate Spam in Forum !
hey no joke before i registered for Apolyton forum i never got a single junk mail........Now it wont stop comin.Is apolyton endorsing this? or is this the work of Corporate Hooligans?

no prejudice to apolyton if they permit it

thanks anyway

---------------------
'Enslave the enemy'
Old February 2, 2001, 01:47   #2
phoenixcager

I've never gotten any junk mail since I joined.

------------------
phoenixcager
------------------
of the the Civilization Gaming Network. Visit the CGN Forums

Old February 2, 2001, 01:53   #3
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

It aint Apolyton but AOL's fault. I have an aol SN that no one knows nor do I chat with it, yet as soon as i log on, it starts getting flooded with spam. The spammers have figured out how to harvest logged on users.

On this note, my sincerest thanks to Apolyton for being one of the few that doesnt sell its member list. Then again, if they start, I'll send in my legions/archers to crush them. Of course, they'll probably plot a wrong path to Apolyton's site and end up attacking some other site

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old February 2, 2001, 01:59   #4
Steve5304

I figured as much. Apolyton is a good Community , Its
competition was smashed years ago.And im suprised these guys havent gotten greedy and sold our personal stuff , and loaded the site with Banners.

Well Lets hope apolyton doesent go nuts now that i pointed out it is a monopoly

Old February 2, 2001, 02:06   #5
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:20
A monopoly you say... that can't be so... time to split it up so it doesn't have so much power. Sorry Markos you and Dan can't be friends anymore. The rules are the rules... well actually since neither of you are in the USA, screw their rules.
Old February 2, 2001, 04:33   #6
Pyaray
Call to Power II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 01:20
I own my own domain name. I create a new e-mail address each time I register something that wants my e-mail address. You would be amazed at the number of companies that sell there lists. I don't want to list any of them because it's possible that somehow their registration information got out without their consent. Like packet sniffers and the like. And I don't want to be "slanderous". But I have learned a lot from this practice. Since each time I register it's a unique e-mail address, I know exactly which companies have done it to me. Additionally since it's a unique address, I just kill that address and I no longer get the spam. It is really shocking and disapointing how many "respectable" companies participate in this practice.

The most ridiculous thing that has ever happened to me was I signed up for a new internet account, and didn't even log on to it for 2 days. When I logged on two days later I had 5 spam messages already waiting for me, even though I hadn't given a single person that address yet. If a spammer can breach an ISP's security to get the user list, they will. Some ISP's aren't very well secured against this kind of query since it isn't actually comprising their system. Matter of fact, in days of old, it was considered acceptable to query a host system for the logged in users, so you could tell if your friends were on. Sadly, some ISP's still allow this.

Also, as far as I know, I have not received any spam at all from Apolyton. This is a very nice community, with very well maintained standards.

Why did I bother to write so much on this subject? Well, it has something to do with the fact that I have 18 pieces of spam sitting in my inbox right now.

Pyaray