Old January 29, 2001, 17:44   #1
Collie
Settler

Local Time: 09:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Forbidden City
It says it removes any embassies established by the host nation - but it doesn't. Or not when I've had it, or maybe it means any embassies in your nation are removed, which is correct?

Anyway, it says having this wonder prevents any nation from declaring war on you. So by having this, presumeably I can be as much as an annoying person to the other civilisations without them attacking me if we're not already at war? If so I won't need to worry about defending my cities for a while. Anyone have any ideas about making the most of this wonder early on in the game when already starting to lag behind the others. Should I concentrate on building improvements rather than a military if they won't attack? I'm new to this so any advice would be appreciated.
Old January 29, 2001, 18:00   #2
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:21
I find this wonder a "waste-of-time" wonder. I never build it. BTW, it's supposed to be other civs can't build embassies with you. They got it wrong. As for not declaring war, an atrocity overrides this so just be a little careful what you do. If you kill civilians, you'll be in a war. Also remember that "acts of agression" by you will be considered as a declaration of war.

THATS why I see this wonder as a "waste-of-time". It doesn't give you any advantage because you can't do anything extra to annoy the hell out of the AI's.

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 31, 2001, 00:21   #3
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:21
I've never actually built this wonder, only conquered later in the game. But in my latest game with lots of goodie mods included and a nice map (pats himself on the back) I had the Germans build it and I was running a diplomat around and it was the first time I couldn't create an embassy with a civ. So it does work, and I assume when you build it then others won't make embassies with you... which is no help to your situation since the AI cheats anyways IMO scrap the wonder and put something more useful in the way, like an embassy with all civs.... isn't that more useful to everyone? Dumb Activision.

Rich
Old January 31, 2001, 12:23   #4
micrif
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Collie on 01-29-2001 04:44 PM
(...)or maybe it means any embassies in your nation are removed, which is correct?

This is what it means

Old January 31, 2001, 19:41   #5
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

I miss philosophers stone too

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old February 2, 2001, 17:11   #6
Civ_Fool
Settler

The forbidden wonder closes all foreign embassies in your nation and prevents new ones from being opened. This shuts down a small portion of the intelligence they can gather on you. It does not prevent you from opening embassies with them, so you can still gather some limited intelligence on them and still use full diplomatic functions in your negotiations.

It does prevent war, which allows you to use unconventional units to harass the AI.

Overall, there are far better wonders to build, but it can have some uses in the game.
Old February 2, 2001, 23:52   #7
Collie
Settler

I've found that it really dumbfounds the computer AI. I built the Forbidden City and then had 2 computer diplomats for the next 30 turns at least, try to establish an embassy without realising it was impossible. I expelled the idiots only for them to return a few turns later. Still not learnt from their mistake, I eventually got the advance that renders it useless and they finally got their embasseys. It's little things like that, near the start of the game that put doubt into your mind about the whole AI for the rest of the game.
Old February 4, 2001, 15:49   #8
Montezuma II
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Alpha Wolf on 01-31-2001 06:41 PM
I miss philosophers stone too

Philosophers stone was great!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they bring it back