Old March 1, 2001, 04:32   #1
Ice Man
Settler

Local Time: 09:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
whats up with ctp2?
i've played each and every civilization game released till today and i have some words to say about ctp2.

First of all, i would like to ask,
-the reason of these tons of differences made in call to power series, is it related with trade mark stuff of sid meier's civ?
-aint pollution exegerated?
-combat logic is hidden from player or what?

Complaint: unit names

*should't unit names be reffering to very famous units known to everybody in the ancient times?

Hoplite? Phalanx was a much more famous unit than hoplite ?
and where are legendary troops of ancient times, Legion? Chariot? also musketeer was defining a type of troop in history, why change in its name as "infantryman"? today our soldiers in our armies also called infantry...

"Cyber ninja" what a name! come on?

- Suggestion:

unit names should be more conceptical, not "marine" (which is a specific name) but should have been "infantry" (which is used generally).
we are talking about the "civilization of humanity" right? i dont beleive each and every nation had marines in the time..

Complaint: wonders

*shouldn't advantages gained by wonders had be related to the structure and its ancestors?

(in ctp1) Labrynth ---> Free caravans??? what is that? , first of all what is labrynth meant to humanity in civilization of mankind? and what is the relationship between labrynth and caravans??
London exchange ---> more effective brokerages. <--- thats okay.

- Suggestion:

by the way, what happened to Stonehenge? Greatwall? Hooverdam? you couldn't be missing all these stuýff could you?

Complaint: technology tree logic

*Shouldn't technology tree having names of the discoveries that have changed the history, and humanity?

Where is currency? Code of Laws? Electronics? theory of gravity? plastics? these are the milestones of historical science.

- Suggestion:

Also tech. tree , inventions and output should be seperated under sub-trees in each other. Sid-meier's civilization had that mistake in past,
Ex: "automobile" is not a scientific discovery, the important thing here was the "reciprocating motion". that was the scientific discovery and steam engine and/or internal combustion engine" was the invention and eventually "transportational revolution" was an output, which is a concept will allow us to produce automobiles made possible by this scientific discovery.
Players really interested in details. the more they are excited, the more they search. they even memorize all specifications about units, advances. But if the game logic fails, excitement is dead.

Complaint: information windows

****Ctp1 had much better information windows than ctp2. in the ctp2 any costs about any action/penalties are not displayed! i cant see how much costs an advertisement action by a "corporate branch" no costs nothing told. in the Empire window, even details option enabled, it doesn't show any "details". In ctp1, there shown what player needed to know, goverment bonuses on science, franchised and added production points to empire shown in the empire window, sue and selling indulgences shown as cost while selecting that option from units command window. Also, nothing about pollution is showed, i mean which building is polluting what levels, quantity? only written in the great libary about the building is "increases pollution".

i see nothing here in this game! that empire window is useless by now.

by the way,
in unit manager, i can see maintanace costs of a single catapult for instance, but if i have 36 catapults? and 286 units in total? i sure have to carry a calculator playing the game.

- Suggestion:

more and more information.

The very cool things about game

*new battle mod, watching is really enjoying (still couldn't understand the turns tough)
*mayor and public works concept is really easyness.
*Bombardments
*new easiness at space travel, space cities and underwater cities,
*new unit voices, really boosting my excitement during game.
*unit animations, they are no longer pigeons as they were.
*upgrading 9 unit limit to 12 unit, thank god.
*caravan system, much more easy and useful for revenues.
*Musics of course! in ctp1 they were hell, boring! in ctp2 musics are nice piece of work.
*to be able to attack cities by naval units.

And miscellaneous:

*what about bridges? wasn't mankind building bridges for railroads at the time? or building underwater tunnels for today? why to wait till maglevs found?
*Today gold is not used for currency anymore, i suggest that gold icon and name should be changed to "money icon" and "credit" names after bank has found.
*Diplomacy is primitive, each and every time a diplomat must sent to each and every nation to establish embassy after a war. aint there an easy way out?
*When a breaktrough made by scientists, a specific window should be seen, maybe a great library picture of the discoveries should be placed to background. Player doesn't feel that he just made a big level up in history?
*is there any bugs in audio/sound fx in the game? units respond "by voice" sometimes, mostly not. (when they want to?)
*i havent encountered any "city overcrowding" problem in ctp2 ? whats up? are there anything wrong with me? in ctp1 that was a real problem.
*pollution control is very hard in the game, looking for red cities from nation manager window, and than adjusting levels from city manager window is a rwal pain, aint there an easy way out? a level of pollution indicator inside city manager window? or an anti-pollution mayor maybe?
*A city view is missing, it was a good thing to go in and look inside your city, buildings, wonders...
*Is there a proble with the AI? They never attack me? no attempt to capture my cities? moreover they are stronger than me in military?
*How is Unit placement defined in combat? why are my artilleries insist on being on front whenever i decided to capture a city or go in to battle?
*what happened to paratroopers? why not they jump to far hexes as they did in ctp1? they were hell, useful!.

------------------
-------------------------
without good, no evil
without one, no all
without desire, no need
Old March 2, 2001, 01:19   #2
Gwap
Chieftain

You have just quoted some of the very reasons I have not touched CTP2 in a week or so.

TIP of the MONTH: Play Europa Universalis (available in Western Europe (in German, Swedish and English)), but if you're in Turkey your best bet is an internet software vendor (I used www.softwarefirst.com)

Other software vendors available (just so people don't think I get commission

------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Old July 13, 2001, 18:07   #3
Ruffinshot
Settler

A phalanx was a formation of.... hoplites! Hence the 'hoplite' unit, named after the shield (hoplon) they carried.
Old July 13, 2001, 21:02   #4
ENGINEER
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:53
A lot of the complaints you made have been worked on or fixed in one of the mods like Med Mod II, Dipomod, or Craddle. Try one and write back.
Old July 14, 2001, 08:27   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 11:23
Re: whats up with ctp2?
Quote:
Originally posted by Ice Man
The very cool things about game

*mayor and public works concept is really easyness.
I agree with you in most of the cases, but there's a few things I can't agree on. Like the puplic works...I just hate the public works concept, it's great it's not in Civ3 otherwise I would just get dissapointet.

The worst thing about the public works is the prices, I'm not talking about the prices themself for building a farm, but about the prices to "upgrade" a farm to advanced farm (for example), it should be more like it was cheaper to "upgrade" a farm to advanced farm than to build a new advanced farm

And roads does only give a better transportation for units, but roads does give a lot more than that in real world

Quote:
Originally posted by Ice Man
*Is there a proble with the AI? They never attack me? no attempt to capture my cities? moreover they are stronger than me in military?
The AI is even worse than that, the last game I played, I finnished without any wars...Until year 1000 AD I was the civilization with the lowest rank in everything (first time I played that diffecult level), from around 1000 AD my economy blew skyhigh, after my economics was good enough I started making a lot of "war toys" just in case, this means in short time I became the strongest civilization in the world...And I litterally bought the enemies cities one after one (The last one I couldn't buy though ).

This way I won the game without getting into battle!

The worst thing about the AI (can't remember you mentioned that one), is this: The AI never transforms any kind of land, I'm not (only) talking about the transform from mountains to grassland, but from forrest to grassland, if they build a city in the forrest they only build roads to that city...and that looks pretty dtrange for a future city
Old July 14, 2001, 08:36   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ENGINEER
A lot of the complaints you made have been worked on or fixed in one of the mods like Med Mod II, Dipomod, or Craddle. Try one and write back.
What does those mods change? I don't want to play some mod that only is playing during the old days or something on some other planet.
Old July 15, 2001, 11:23   #7
ENGINEER
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:53
Okay then you should try Med Mod II. The name is misleading. Wes started on the first Med Mod for CTP 1 to fix the Medival period in the game, but just kept on fixing it to improve the game overall. Med Mod II is just a sequel to the first one. It improves the whole game with better AI, new units, tech tree, functions, better everything. It includes many peoples ideas such as Dale's Dipmod that fixes many of the AI's idiot moves and is about to even include dipomats pictures to give CTP 2 a move "human" touch. Just try it and read the read me's. His mod vastly improved CTP and is doing the same to CTP 2. Try It!

Now Craddle improves the whole game also in differents ways with a more aggresive AI and new units, but focus on making the ancient age last much longer, but still goes on in to the future. Read the other CTP 2 forum on all the neat stuff they have added.
Old July 15, 2001, 12:21   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I just downloaded it now, 2 bad I proberly can't test it before friday, since I'm outta town for a few days
Old July 15, 2001, 12:27   #9
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:23
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

What does those mods change? I don't want to play some mod that only is playing during the old days or something on some other planet.
Man, you are really wrong here!!! Medmod despite its name changes the whole game. Just try it. I was like you. I bought CTP2 and i hated it it went direct to teh drawer. When i heard about that civ3 was coming i was at the civ3 forum everyday. Surfing around apolyton, i discovered the medmod. and give it a try. Now take a look at my signature under here.

Quote:
The AI is even worse than that, the last game I played, I finnished without any wars...Until year 1000 AD I was the civilization with the lowest rank in everything (first time I played that diffecult level), from around 1000 AD my economy blew skyhigh, after my economics was good enough I started making a lot of "war toys" just in case, this means in short time I became the strongest civilization in the world...And I litterally bought the enemies cities one after one (The last one I couldn't buy though ).
You should really try craddle mod. This one you are right. all of his changes are at the ancient/medieval times. But the modern/future is still there not changed though.
-Jean Rostand
Old July 15, 2001, 12:29   #10
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:23
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

Man, you are really wrong here!!! Medmod despite its name changes the whole game. Just try it. I was like you. I bought CTP2 and i hated it it went direct to teh drawer. When i heard about that civ3 was coming i was at the civ3 forum everyday. Surfing around apolyton, i discovered the medmod. and give it a try. Now take a look at my signature under here.

Quote:
You should really try craddle mod. The AI is incredable it looks far diferent from what you all described. They even almost conquered me once. Although at This one you are right. all of its changes are at the ancient/medieval times. But the modern/future is still there not changed though.
-Jean Rostand