Old February 13, 2001, 14:44   #1
Jen Dragon
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is this board as dead as CTP2
I noticed about 3 posts a day, I hope CTP2 boad isnt drying up and blowing away, the game will go with it.
I keep hoping Activision will put out another patch to fix the fatal crash bugs, I can send them a saved game or two the will crash when they end turn.
I was hoping that continued posting would make them reconsider no more patches. Guess I will have to uninstall the game and pull out Test of Time, hey that one is still on my hard drive.... go figure.
Old February 13, 2001, 15:21   #2
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:23
We're not drying up but working on the mods/maps/scenarios and thus don't have much to talk about until beta testing is going and most of that happens via email. Don't got back to ToT, it's done and this is the next great challenge... contribute, get involved... GET HOOKED
Old February 13, 2001, 21:05   #3
Chris B
Warlord

wow ther, Jen's right. apolyton really has been a ghost town lately. Medmod hasn't been updated in a month. Alexander in 10 days. there are hardly any new forum threads poular. we were swamped with em just a month ago.
Old February 13, 2001, 22:03   #4
phoenixcager

I've been wondering the same thing recently. It seems the 'normal gamers' (those that don't do modding) have disappeared.

------------------
phoenixcager of the Civgaming Network.
Visit the CGN forums.

Old February 13, 2001, 22:09   #5
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:23
I've got a more simple answer. I've just been too busy with work recently to be able to post/mod anything.

Oh, and being given Baldur's Gate II on saturday hasn't helped on the time stakes either. It's awesome!

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
[This message has been edited by Dale (edited February 13, 2001).]
Old February 13, 2001, 23:46   #6
jkadabomb
Warlord

BALDUR'S GATE II IS THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME(except for counter-strike). Right now I am in chapter 5, btw Dale, KILL YOSHIMO when you get the chance, he is a traitor(find out in chapter 4) also don't join Bhodi, She is really working for the final boss, join the thieves, they are the lesser of 2 evils,(story splits in chapter 3, where you have to decide to join some vampires or thieves)
Old February 14, 2001, 06:54   #7
Gwap
Chieftain

I'm a "normal" gamer (i.e. normal in the sense that I just play the game and download mods from others). But playing on a slow machine between work and private life (yes I try to get one) doesn't really get games finished quickly. That, and me being a rubbish player, of course.

I'm still trying to read up on the Forums daily, and post annoying responses

But I may be the exception; of course, those who don't mod maybe don't think the game has a long attention-grabbing spell. Who knows?

------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Old February 14, 2001, 20:41   #8
Chris B
Warlord

yer right dale, my getting Age of Kings hasn't helped. But I'll be back on civ the second the new edmod update or next alex scenario comes out.
Old February 14, 2001, 21:15   #9
Dale
Emperor

I'll come back to CTP2, just wanna get through BG2 first.

BTW jkadabomb, DONT SAY ANYTHING! I'm still in chapter 2. Wanna finish all the quests before I pay the $15,000. Actually, I find Yoshi a good companion. Though I'll keep ya warning in mind. Yeah, I've already decided to join the thieves not the assasins. Oh yeah, in the Renal quest, did you do Edwin's sub-quest? I took it on then everyone started complaining and moaning so I cracked it and killed Edwin and got the key for Mae'vin's strongbox. Is that what you did?

Chris:
AoK is unreal mate. A great game. Get the expansion pack for it too if you haven't got it.

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old February 14, 2001, 21:16   #10
Dale
Emperor

Double-post.
[This message has been edited by Dale (edited February 14, 2001).]
Old February 14, 2001, 21:37   #11
MrFun
Emperor

A lot of people, like myself, have other things in life besides computer games.

How about - unversity classes, campus organizations, full-time jobs/careers, families, hobbies, etc.
Old February 16, 2001, 02:34   #12
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:23
In response to the header:

YES!!!
Old February 16, 2001, 04:27   #13
MarkG

i guess you're not seeing the discussions in the other ctp2 forums...

Old February 16, 2001, 04:43   #14
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 10:23
I can't speak for anybody else, but I have just stoped playing CTP2 .. and falled back to CIV2/TOT & SMAC .. I even played CTP1 recently, so I could play a hotseat game ..

To be quite frank .. I feel cheated .. and want little to do with CTP2 at the moment ..

A patch would of course change my mind !! but thats wishful thinking.

------------------
"Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon
Old February 16, 2001, 05:31   #15
phoenixcager

dp
[This message has been edited by phoenixcager (edited February 16, 2001).]

Old February 16, 2001, 05:34   #16
phoenixcager

I too, have dug out my CtP1 to play PBEM. I'm still playing one game of CtP2, but it gets more boring each day. It's like playing an opponent who's not interested in the game.

------------------
Visit the CGN forums.

Old February 16, 2001, 12:27   #17
wittlich

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B on 02-13-2001 08:05 PM
wow ther, Jen's right. apolyton really has been a ghost town lately. Medmod hasn't been updated in a month. Alexander in 10 days. there are hardly any new forum threads poular. we were swamped with em just a month ago.

Your right about the Apolyton CTP2 site being a ghost town - but the Apolyton CIV3 site is going strong

I, and most likely other civers, basically gave up on the CTP2 site when Activision "threw in the towel."

Now the forum discussions at the CIV3 side of the house is hopping...everyone is waiting with baited breath of its eventual release

Of course, even though I now "camp out" at Apolyton's CIV3 Site, I still stick my head into the CTP2 forum just to see if anything new is happening - just because there will not be anymore offical patches being released for CTP2, that doesn't mean the talented folks here in the forum won't post any new game modifications.

My burning question concerning these mods is the (hopefully) eventual release of a mod which will make the multiplayer aspect of CTP2 playable...I guess I can always dream, can't I?

Old February 16, 2001, 18:30   #18
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:23
Personally, I don't understand why somebody would want to spend 2 years talking in a forum about a non-existing product. But then again, I thought the 3 month wait for CtP2 was stretching it a bit and got a little old. The Civ3 forum does/did have a valid reason for being but it is a bit too much like a Civ-centric OT forum for my taste. Luckily for Apolyton, I am in the minority here so the Civ3 forums should keep going for quite a while.
Old February 17, 2001, 16:01   #19
Roman
King

The Civ2 forums are certainly not dead. Check them out!
Old February 17, 2001, 18:44   #20
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 05:23
quote:

Personally, I don't understand why somebody would want to spend 2 years talking in a forum about a non-existing product.

I think many people simply enjoy knowing that they might (...juuuust might...) have some input that gets taken up by Firaxis for Civ3. And even if not, it's simply quite interesting at times to consider how a game like Civ3 ought to be or could be designed.

Also, many (all?) of us feel that Civ3 is really our best and perhaps last chance for a long, long time to see a civzilization-type TBS game done well. Some even believe that if Civ3 fails, this genre is in major trouble. So I guess you can say it's quite suspensful to those of us who've been playing the games for years...
Old February 17, 2001, 22:35   #21
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 18:23
I stopped looking at these forums a couple of weeks ago. Partly because I was on my honeymoon and partly because I stopped playing CTP2. I was pretty happy with my first game but while playing my second game I thought, "Ah, this is just like the first game." I really don't feel like playing anymore. I wonder if it's because CTP2 is dull or if it's just too similar to Civ2 which I played for a long time. I'm sure I will buy Civ3 when it comes out and I'm curious whether I will quickly tire of that like I did CTP2. Anyway, I'll probably see you all again when Civ3 comes out and I return to get lots of great information at Apolyton.
Old February 18, 2001, 15:11   #22
jkadabomb
Warlord

Hey Dale, Edwin gave me Mae'Vers key. He is probably the best mage in the game that you can get. Although he is evil. I am in chapter 7. Almost about to beat the game. I crushed the shadow dragon and fire dragon quite easily. Fire dragon gives you Holy Avenger +5. I got some awsome weapons, Silver Sword +5(AN AWSOME SWORD, KILLS TONS OF ENEMIES INSTANTLY, IN FACT PROBABLY HELPED ME DESTROY THE DRAGONS SO EASILY), Carsymor(holyavenger)+5, The Equilizer +5. To tell you the truth the dragons are pretty easy since they fight alone with no allies. Also I am going to get the Crom Faeyr, probably the best weapon in the game. And you need Keldorn to use the Holy Avenger +5(Carsymor +5) He is the only paladin in the game.
Old February 18, 2001, 15:32   #23
wittlich

quote:

Originally posted by yin26 on 02-17-2001 05:44 PM
I think many people simply enjoy knowing that they might (...juuuust might...) have some input that gets taken up by Firaxis for Civ3. And even if not, it's simply quite interesting at times to consider how a game like Civ3 ought to be or could be designed.

Also, many (all?) of us feel that Civ3 is really our best and perhaps last chance for a long, long time to see a civzilization-type TBS game done well. Some even believe that if Civ3 fails, this genre is in major trouble. So I guess you can say it's quite suspensful to those of us who've been playing the games for years...

I couldn't have said it better Yin!

Old February 18, 2001, 23:30   #24
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Well i've got exams coming up aswell and oh yeah i've just bought CeasarIII for £10. Excellent game. And i'm just getting into things with blender Made a couple of simple games with it Yeah! And yeah I haven't played CTP2 in about 4 days. And in there somewhere i've actually had time to sleep.

------------------
" mind over body "
Old February 19, 2001, 21:55   #25
Dale
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by jkadabomb on 02-18-2001 02:11 PM
Hey Dale, Edwin gave me Mae'Vers key. He is probably the best mage in the game that you can get. Although he is evil. I am in chapter 7. Almost about to beat the game. I crushed the shadow dragon and fire dragon quite easily. Fire dragon gives you Holy Avenger +5. I got some awsome weapons, Silver Sword +5(AN AWSOME SWORD, KILLS TONS OF ENEMIES INSTANTLY, IN FACT PROBABLY HELPED ME DESTROY THE DRAGONS SO EASILY), Carsymor(holyavenger)+5, The Equilizer +5. To tell you the truth the dragons are pretty easy since they fight alone with no allies. Also I am going to get the Crom Faeyr, probably the best weapon in the game. And you need Keldorn to use the Holy Avenger +5(Carsymor +5) He is the only paladin in the game.

I just killed Edwin after everyone started whining. Also, I remembered that Edwin and Minsc wanted to kill each other in the first BG. I have Minsc, being the best ranger in the game.

The Red dragon was EASY man! I think the shadow one is harder. BTW, did you know you can kill the dragons pretty easily by (when their circle is still blue) pausing the game, talking to dragon then attacking dragon, unpausing, let them attack for 5 seconds (count it), pausing, talking then attacking dragon, letting them attack for 5 seconds and so on. They never attack you. (It's a bug I take it).

Oh, and Keldorn does have the Carsymor +5. Minsc has the Dragon Slayer halberd. I have the Dragon Slayer longsword. The other three are missile. I've made a few other special items but have them stored. BTW, have you made the Iron Horn yet?

------------------
Old February 20, 2001, 19:17   #26
jkadabomb
Warlord

Dragon weapons suck so you'll want to get rid of them soon as you get better weapons anywyas. BTW Minsc and Edwin would work just fine in a party although they may argue alot.
Old February 20, 2001, 19:21   #27
jkadabomb
Warlord

Alright my party, me-equalizer +5, Keldorn Carsymor +5, Minsc-Silver Sword +5, Valygar- Flail of Ages +3 right hand-left hand Katana+3(best katana in the game, an awsome sword).
Old February 21, 2001, 06:38   #28
Gwap
Chieftain

This thread is starting to become Other-Gamey.

------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Old February 21, 2001, 10:57   #29
Jen Dragon
Chieftain

Thats partly the point, with so many other good games CTP2 is just slowly being accepted as a loss and spending time on games that are good or Great. BG2, is an incredible game, I got combat mission for Christmas and its also an incredible game not to mention the good games, Crimson Skys, Sea Dogs, even Sim Coaster.
I absoulutly cant wait for CIV III as some one above said It will probably be the last chance for a good civ game. CTP3 wont happen and CIV IV will be 5 to 10 years down the road. Empire Earth although real time looks interesting, I hope they do that well. I still havent got to get past the 1900 era of CTP2. I must be doing something wrong, probably keeping my saved games to close to the current time, but I hate to go back and play 20 turns again and again, a couple of turns ok but then I get in the AI crash loop.
Old February 22, 2001, 05:43   #30
phoenixcager

...or you could wait for the Mod wizards to work their magic, which should be sooner than that.

------------------
Visit the CGN forums.