Old February 24, 2001, 08:34   #1
Hindle
Settler

Local Time: 09:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CD Not recognised Problems
Hi

I got ctp2 some time ago and have NEVER played it because when ever I put it in the drive the computer will not recognise the CD. Has anyone else had this problem?

Not a problem with the CD as it works in some other computers, Its not a pirate copy either.

Please help me

Thanks

Hindle

ICQ 77905883

hindle@techie.com
Old March 17, 2001, 01:41   #2
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 04:25
Are you sure that your cd drive is working properly? Try some other games and music cd's in it to be sure that it plays all cd's properly. how old is your computer? I have seen some older cd drives that are not able to read some of the newer cd's that are coming out.

------------------
DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
Old March 17, 2001, 02:07   #3
ncross1
Settler

I have the identical problem. My machine runs all my other games and music CDs, including other brand new games. The disc works in other machines. Another copy of the disc didn't work in my machine either. Its not looking good...

Old March 17, 2001, 09:04   #4
alley_cat
Chieftain

Whatdo you mean "not recognizing"? Can you access through My Computer or you just can't start the game?
Old March 17, 2001, 23:27   #5
Chris1111
Chieftain

Yeah I have the same problem. I was able to install the game no problem. I picked my civ,map, options etc and when I went to click begin it shuts off and says call to power 2 cd not in drive. I hit retry and took CD out and put back in and still does it, also rebooted etc. Every other CD I have works fine.

12X CD rom if that matters
(yeah I know its old)

Old March 18, 2001, 02:08   #6
ncross1
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by alley_cat on 03-17-2001 08:04 AM
Whatdo you mean "not recognizing"? Can you access through My Computer or you just can't start the game?

I stick the CD in, the drive makes a few noises, the light flashes for a bout a minute and then stays on. If I look in My Computer it has the drive labelled E: and it never picks up the disc's name or icon. If I douple click it says device not ready. It is as if it is a disc format it does not recognise. Toshiba says that I don't need ever to update any drivers, so it looks like tough tit. The software store let me try another copy of the game, same story.
Old March 19, 2001, 00:17   #7
joseph1944

I would call Tech support at Activision if it is possible from NZ.

------------------

Old March 19, 2001, 04:17   #8
ncross1
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by joseph1944 on 03-18-2001 11:17 PM
I would call Tech support at Activision if it is possible from NZ.

I would but for having to get up in the middle of the night and spend thousands of our worthless NZ dollars waiting on hold. Probably could by a new CD drive!

Anyway, in an act of desperation, I made a backup of the CD on a friends computer (who has a burner, and on whose computer the disk works) and stuck the copy in my machine - WORKS LIKE A CHARM! Can't figure why the hell it works but it does, and the old one still doesn't. But don't care, am planning a ritual sacrifice of the original to the Gaming Gods. I think acid, followed by blast furnace and verbal abuse.
Old March 19, 2001, 15:08   #9
ncross1
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by joseph1944 on 03-19-2001 12:09 PM
Now that you have a game to play send the old disk back to Activision for a new one. Just tell them it will not work. Do not tell them that you have made a copy of it. They should replace it for free.

I don't think that will work, as the two original copies I tried both didn't run. And I have the box and the manual and stuff, so why would I want to? To get a disc with the design on it? I have that still, just it doesn't run the game. I can look at it while I play And it is legal to make a backup for your own use, so no worries there.
Old March 19, 2001, 23:59   #10
joseph1944

As long that work for you no problem. Over the years I have had a few disk go bad and the gaming company has always replace the disk for free without sending in the box or manuels. Good luck.

------------------

Old March 20, 2001, 01:09   #11
joseph1944

Now that you have a game to play send the old disk back to Activision for a new one. Just tell them it will not work. Do not tell them that you have made a copy of it. They should replace it for free.