Local Time: 09:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I only play my own creations,im afraid its the only way to get the kind
of game i want from the systems,however uniersalis is the best thing
ive seen in along time,although it has some niggles its the most indepth
addictive rewarding game system ive EVER seen, the game is complex, so you
have a steep learning curve but its worth it.If you like depth and long
term playing this will keep you at your computer till firaxis do their
thing.Get the 1.8 patch and play grand campaign.
Hannibal
Old March 29, 2001, 01:08   #32
David Murray
Prince

Hi,

Chronus, I was one of the few who actually liked the original Call to Power I game. I was a lurker back then from the CTP1 forum, and I never posted there because everyone was complaining about the game and I just couldn't understand why they didn't like it (and I didn't understand any of that slic stuff). But things changed with experience!

But even little old me...usually so passive and not quick off the draw to complain...has got a sick feeling in the gut over CTPII. I recommend you buy an all-time classic like SimCity 3000 or Red Alert 2, I don't know about Europa Universalis (I personally prefer to play the board game version of Risk ) but I definitely, definitely, definitely would recommend NOT to buy CTPII unless big things happen with the MedMod...but that looks unlikely. The MedMod at the moment does absolutely nothing to improve the AI and various bugs and ommissions are still glaring in this game.

Personally I'm going back to older games like SimCity 3000 and Half Life...they just make CTPII look like a p*ss in the wind...but I'm waiting for GTA3 and Civ3 eagerly though.
Old March 29, 2001, 01:11   #33
David Murray
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Skeeve on 03-28-2001 11:31 AM
Not to answer for David, but I think if the game is selling for under $20 than it's still worth it.
Maybe I'm just saying that because I paid $50!

I would probably buy it for $15 if I was bored.

quote:

edit: By the way, Dave, thanks for the info on sim city 3000. I'm going to check that out.

Just make sure you check out SimCity 3000 Unlimited. www.simcity.com SimCity 3000 is on the bargain basements now, but the unlimited version has more buildings, bells and whistles in it.

[This message has been edited by David Murray (edited March 28, 2001).]
Old March 29, 2001, 02:58   #34
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 05:26
Wes:

As you know, I have great respect for your work. I will do my absolute best to give it a sincere effort. But I warn you that I ordered 4 computer games...this month! ...and even more honest, I haven't even thought about CtP2 in a while.

However, please keep me posted. I think it's simply outstanding what you are doing.
Old March 30, 2001, 22:13   #35
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:26
Thanks, Yin. I think you will be very surprised at what you find in the modpack.
Old April 4, 2001, 11:42   #36
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 04:26
Been on a golf vacation that last week.

Wes, I always like to encourage the type of work you and many others regularly do for games. I guess I'm willing to give it one more time. Maybe it will lessen the feeling of being ripped off on this one.

I tried to download the frenzy mod and the diplo mod but could only find instructions on the diplo mod. So I gave up. I even posted looking for more help on the frenzy mod, but the traffic here has been kinda slow.

Just point me in the right direction and I'll give it a shot, and If I'm successful, I'll even report back on how it went. But please keep in mind that the two biggest things that ruined the game for me was having to starve/disband 40+ cities and the wuzzy AI.

RAH
I wish I had more time to tweak also. I'd probably be good at it after 30 years of programing and designing decision trees.

Old April 5, 2001, 00:54   #37
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 12:26
You know, I am pretty disappointed by the replies here, but so I was disappointed by the AI. I thoght CtP 2 will be great, as I loved CtP I, and was sure this will be an improvement. It is. Everything, but the AI. After I applied the DiploMod, it went better, but I still spend most of my SP playing time playing SMAC.
It's a pity to see that all that effort made by Activision was lost. I look forward to the Medieval Pack, even though it'll be very hard to download.You know, I am pretty disappointed by the replies here, but so I was disappointed by the AI. I thoght CtP 2 will be great, as I loved CtP I, and was sure this will be an improvement. It is. Everything, but the AI. After I applied the DiploMod, it went better, but I still spend most of my SP playing time playing SMAC.
It's a pity to see that all that effort made by Activision was lost. I look forward to the Medieval Pack, even though it'll be very hard to download.

------------------
Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old April 7, 2001, 04:46   #38
Will 5001
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

There is so much potential in CTP2 but the AI behaviour and the bugs let it down . I have actually been playing the game without the movies and the sound ever since i bought the game . I stopped playing the game and went on to RedAlert 2 and simcity 3000, but I have given the game a second chance using the mods. I am persisting as I neverr like to see a game unfinished as I mastered Civ2.

I await Civ²²² with interest
Old April 8, 2001, 04:36   #39
scorpio10
Settler

I started playing again after tweaking the unit stats to give those AI wanderers a fighting chance. Well, a fighting chance on the hardest levels where the AI can keep up, and maybe even surpass, in weapons techs... I finally lost a city (for about two turns) when the AI caught me off guard with a modern unit that I simply couldn't beat with my garrison. Now I actually have to research weapons techs instead of just going for the wonders... that lone Fusion Tank taking out an entire stack of regular tanks is a humbling experience...

------------------
Evolution does not work in straight lines, but the minds of some scientists do.

-- George Gaylord Simpson
Old April 9, 2001, 22:54   #40
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Thanks, rah. I plan on having the public release version out sometime this month.
I hope things are under control in the OT. I wondered if Ming got burned out when I saw the new moderator news.
Old April 10, 2001, 17:27   #41
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 04:26
Thanks Wes, I don't search through the ctp2 forums much any more. If when you release it this month, you could post something in this thread, I'll make sure to at least check this one thread out regularly.

Yeah, Ming finally got a little extra help on the OT boards. He needed it. I personally can't believe they suckered somebody else into it, especially MTG.

RAH

Old April 12, 2001, 01:04   #42
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Well, I hope Ming gets a break now. Maybe he could take a second job as a kindergarten or junior high teacher after his trial by fire here.
Btw, I feel sure that when the public release is made, it will be in the news here.
Old April 16, 2002, 03:52   #43
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 10:26
Little did we know what was on the horizon. I think that for many CIV3 was the catalyst that has now sparked the CTP2 revival
Old April 16, 2002, 10:02   #44
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 11:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
But afterwards I will play with new city styles, ages and goods.
Done

Year it is a long time since I posted this.

-Martin
Old April 17, 2002, 03:09   #45
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 02:26
You can definitely see the progress that has been made in the last year. I wonder what the next year will bring.
Old April 17, 2002, 14:28   #46
Jacko
Settler

I think that CTP2 fell short when it came to testing it, I think this is why so many people stopped playing it. But after discovering this site and the mods on it produced by some very good modders, the enjoyment I get out of the game has increased greatly. I still think that a lot of people play this and that it is still the best civ game out.
Old April 21, 2002, 20:32   #47
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 02:26
Amen, Brother...
Old April 24, 2002, 19:15   #48
DeanToth
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:26
YES!!!
I actually still really love Call to Power II!!!! I have CivIII and was super disapointed by it. At first, it looked great... but as time went on I was annoyed by:

- you can't stack units
- having to have a worker unit for every tile I want to improve
- a lack of variety in units and tiles
- when it comes time to choose your next science advance, the window doesn't show you what the advance will give you... you have to open the library each time and study the tech tree
- the tech tree seems smaller
- you can't stack units

I had hoped CivIII would keep all the magic of the earlier Civ games *AND* incorporate the dramatic improvements that Call to Power I and II had thought up (such as public works vs workers). Alas I was sorely let down and thus I am BACK TO THE CALL TO POWER fold!!!!! (despite it's AI faults; it is a great multiplay game).