Old April 13, 2000, 10:06   #1
Bohlen
Prince

Local Time: 17:37
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Surprise win
I finished a game last night and to my surprise, I actually won. I didn't think that would happen because the estimated AC arrival times for my ship and the evil AI Zulu ship were one year apart, with the Zulu arriving in 1992 and my Russians in 1993. Knowing this, I sat down for my last turn in 1991 and waited for the Zulu ship to land, beating me by one year. However, to my surprise my Russians landed in 1992, giving me the win. I went from bummed to thrilled. I have never seen an AI or human player AC estimated landing be that far off. Granted, it was only one turn, but it was in that one turn that I thought I was going to be beaten. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
Old April 13, 2000, 13:04   #2
klesh
King

Local Time: 18:37
I don't think I've ever had the AI send a ship to AC, let alone actually have to race it. The date they give you for arrival is an estimate? Wow, you'd think if we were sending 10,000 colonists to AC we'd have a better idea of their arrival time!

------------------
I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!
Old April 13, 2000, 13:29   #3
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 22:37
I think this is a case of rounding errors. Say the estimate was 12.7 years, it would say 13 years but land in the 12th year.

Just think: if you played as the French or Germans you would have lost.
Old April 13, 2000, 13:33   #4
Bohlen
Prince

I wish I could say the same about not having to race an AI spaceship to AC. I just started winning at Deity and have been going the tech race/AC route without initiating any wars as a strategy. So far so good, but this one has me a little puzzled.

I'm pretty sure when you launch your spaceship, you are given an estimated landing date. Yes, you would think that if a civ had the technology to go to another solar system that they would know exactly when they would get there. Must be that space/time thing that is confusing them.
Old April 13, 2000, 20:32   #5
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The travel time would've been rounded, and because you were the white civ, your turn came first.

Which, I've just realised, somebody else just said too.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old April 14, 2000, 19:39   #6
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Hang on guys! Surely in SP the human player plays first! so it doesn't matter which Civ you have selected... Now in MP...
Old April 14, 2000, 21:45   #7
Panda
Prince

Scouse Gits: In SP the order of play is very determined by the colour: White goes first, purple last. So if there's a race to build a wonder the highest colour player has the advantage.

Easy proof: Start a SP game, choose purple, check the Top Five Cities report. Everyone else has already built theirs.

----

You know I feel unsettled by all these Civ players who play at Deity and win consistently. I play rarely, and only as King and still find myself in the situation above.
Old April 23, 2000, 10:17   #8
Mad_Conquest
Settler

I have never raced but, I have had my ship arrive 1 year before it said it would.
Old April 29, 2000, 03:15   #9
Beels Bub

Congratulations on your win! I had a game similar to that one once. I was playing as the Zulus. The Russians launched a spaceship identical to mine the same turn I did. I won the game by spending almost 120,000 gold in four turns to bribe enemy units and plant nukes in the capital. I captured the city one turn before their spaceship would have beaten mine to Alpha Centauri.

Old April 30, 2000, 01:08   #10
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Hey, if fate is on your side and you win, don't complain.
Old April 30, 2000, 15:42   #11
SandMonkey
Prince

Local Time: 16:37
i bet i could think of some sweeter victories.... like not have my but whooped by the AI! Or not letting the AI even get tanks!

------------------
SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
-Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
"It's just a flesh wound!"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site
Old April 30, 2000, 22:42   #12
Bohlen
Prince

If you could reach AC without initiating any warfare and no AI had yet discovered or stolen Mobile Warfare, now that would be a sweet victory. But can it be done?
Old May 1, 2000, 00:49   #13
SilverDragon

I love those wins where you make a last minute comeback, like every city of yours has been conquered except for your capital. You desperately launch for AC, but all the AIs are attacking you. Your last defender falls, leaving your city defenceless, and tanks are one square away. But then your colonists arrive on AC, just in time. There couldn't be a sweeter victory.

------------------
Long live the Communists!
-- SilverDragon

Old May 1, 2000, 17:34   #14
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

There was one time when I found myself in the unfortunate position of playing gooseberry in a shooting war.

I was the Chinese, and because it was my first go on the game, I was playing badly on Prince. I found myself sandwiched between the Zulus and Americans, and unable to make much of an impact on their cities, as my dragoons didn't have much of an effect on their Armor units.

Finally, having lost an Explorer to dodgy Zone of Control problems, I checked back and found that the Americans had left a border city completely undefended!

My explorer had a good explore and conquered the city. I happily took Mobile Warfare, and won back the entire Asian continent before the game ended!
Old May 2, 2000, 00:30   #15
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

quote:

I was the Chinese, and because it was my first go on the game, I was playing badly on Prince. I found myself sandwiched between the Zulus and Americans, and unable to make much of an impact on their cities, as my dragoons didn't have much of an effect on their Armor units.

Gee...I can imagine it now, dragoons flying against smoothbore guns
Old May 2, 2000, 09:32   #16
Bohlen
Prince

"A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!" SQUASH!