Old January 26, 2000, 20:23   #1
DeathEvan
Settler

Local Time: 23:29
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I think I'm the only one... so all the strat. I can get would help.
Sorry for the extremely long subject line. :::Sigh::: Anyway, I'm probobly the only one who can't beat Civ 2 right? :::listens to the boos, and dodges the rotten fruit::: I really do try, but I think I play it to perfectionist to get anywhere.
That's also most likely the problem. Also, I make an alliance with the AI, then they do something idiotic like steal something from me... again, and again, and again. Then I get pissed and froget what I'm doing then eradicat them.
Usually after that, I go back to being perfectionist again. Right now, I'm the Chineese, and I have 29 cities and at war with the English, BUT it's already 1795, and rocketry hasn't graced my side while the English started to build their ship. Plus, their military is far better than mine. Any suggestions?

Evan
P.S. sorry it's so long.

------------------
Otaku extrodinaire, and friend to the opressed kawaii.
DeathEvan
Old January 27, 2000, 18:43   #2
Bird
King

Local Time: 19:29
Save your money, build spies, and buy four or five English cities. If that's not enough, buy some more.
Old January 27, 2000, 19:42   #3
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 18:29
Excepting OCC, I refuse alliances. To win, found as many cities in your patch as possible early. This is easier in monarchy. This denies territory to the AI, and in time, they all will grow. Next, capture/bribe rival cities to increase your power and decrease the AI power.
If you plan to win by spaceship, don't trade techs after industrialization. Build your ship quickly and hang on. The AI will steal all it needs and attack you, so be prepared.
If you plan to win by conquest, go all out, build only militarily useful things. I like to win through economics. I build mkts etc. and happy wonders, then go to fundamentalism and bribe away rival cities. Fundy and taxes at 80% generate incredible gold flow.
Also, before 1750, demand tribute of any civ that is not hostile. You will be surprised at how much you get. If a civ offers a cease fire, refuse and they will often sweeten the offer. It's only a game,..try it.. If they are offended and declare war, wait a few turns, and you can get peace again.
Old January 29, 2000, 11:41   #4
kcbob
King

Local Time: 17:29
Evan, you didn't say what level you're playing. If you're trying too hard of a level, ease up. It took me 5 to 10 tries just to figure out Chieftan level. And don't play anything above the easiest barbarian level for a while.

Having said all that, just be patient with yourself. It'll come to you. I promise. And don't worry about the perfectionist approach. I lean toward that and it does work.

As for real advice, someone mentioned above in the thread (sorry, but I forget whom) to buy English cities. Diplomats and spies (especially spies) are POWERFUL units. Use them extensively. Bribe, bribe, bribe.

Good luck.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited January 29, 2000).]
Old January 31, 2000, 10:17   #5
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 23:29
And go back through the old threads contained at this site: you'll pick up a wealth of strategy that'll have you kicking butt fast.