Old January 28, 2000, 12:00   #1
Curumbor Elendil
Prince

Local Time: 18:29
Local Date: October 30, 2010
a NEW challenge
I don't know if anyone's tried this before, or if it's even possible (probably not, except maybe on chieftain level), but I thought of a new Civ2 challenge after a recent game in which I conquered eight civilizations... A challenge to conquer every other civilization in the game, 20 in all. This of course requires allowing eliminated civs to restart, & would require a gigantic map to allow each civ room to restart. That would also make it more difficult to conquer those civs, though, because of the great distances involved. It would be a Herculean feat to conquer 20 civs, for sure, but maybe it would be interesting nonetheless to see who could conquer the most civs in a single game. My record, as far as I can recall, is the 8 mentioned above, but I've never been an early-conquest type of player.

------------------
--
Curumbor Elendil
jason.sorens@yale.edu
ICQ 56126989
Old January 28, 2000, 12:06   #2
tobyr
Prince

Local Time: 23:29
Why not try this challenge in a SMALL, 4-map fantasy game? Playing, say, Buteo, try killing off the civs that show up on the surface, over and over, trying to keep the surface world clear and free so that conditions are good to restart civs? (I guess you would need one or two cities of your own on the surface).

The advantage of the small map is that it would be easy to patrol, to find and kill the startups.

Use a map with lots of islands, to keep the tribes separated from each other.

- toby

------------------
toby robison
criticalpaths@mindspring.com
Old January 28, 2000, 14:06   #3
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:29
I think what tobyr suggests could be done on pre-ToT civ by leaving a few medium-sized islands clear and killing the AIs when they reincarnate.

The problem is that you need lots of units to patrol the map and kill off the AI cities and settlers. This implies lots of cities and lots of micromanagement. But you also have to play well into the game - my experience is that the AI civs are not restarted in any particular order, so you might have to kill off Vikings, Germans, Vikings, Germans before the French finally appear. To end the game, you'd have to wait until restarts are no longer possible (AD 1750, as I recall), or go to AC after bagging your limit.

One more note - you can only eliminate 18 other civs, since the other two of your color will never appear
Old January 28, 2000, 17:05   #4
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 01:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I believe 1500 is the year. They dont restart after that. When I play on large or 100*100 map I always leave one civ to that year because it would be really annoying to patroll every island and both poles looking out for reincarnations.
Old January 28, 2000, 17:32   #5
Caesar the Great
Emperor

But... there is no way to check if someone cheated.

------------------
Its normal to be weird here and weird to be normal~ Brain

___
CtG

Old January 29, 2000, 11:43   #6
Curumbor Elendil
Prince

Tobyr--I'm a FW/MGE man, don't have ToT.

Caesar--regarding cheating,...you can't really know if someone cheated on OCC either. Sort of an honor thing.

I'm not sure myself at what date civs stop reappearing; never took notice. Well, I may try this challenge just to see what happens. It would at least be kinda neat to see that guillotine go up and down ten or twelve times. ;-)

------------------
--
Curumbor Elendil
jason.sorens@yale.edu
ICQ 56126989
Old January 31, 2000, 16:02   #7
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 01:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
hey what about splitting a civ up?this usually happens in the later stages of the games where it's easier to quickly reach the other end of the world...so this shouldn't be so hard(just send plenty of howitzers, captture, put some mechs in it, buy city walls and sam-installation and you're safe, it only takes 2 turns per city!..)I recall killing 8civs as well..just because of the civ-split!

------------------
ThermiteB(that's me!) RLZ like HELL!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 31, 2000, 19:15   #8
Curumbor Elendil
Prince

On a potentially interesting note, ;-) I once used civ-splitting in a desperate botched attempt at OCC. My ship was in space, but so was another that was going to beat me. I had no choice but to try to destroy their spaceship. So... I sent out a horde of spies (actually, I planned a couple turns in advance) to the other civ's capital (fortunately we were on the same continent), created a nuclear explosion, causing all other civs to declare war on me. Then, I had a sneaky little partisan which I had built expressly for the purpose wend its way over and take the capital. Unfortunately, although the civ split, a new capital was found, and the spaceship remained. I recall being able to send some stealth bombers against the new capital, but I don't think I took it.
Anyway, I had already abandoned the OCC requirement by then, obviously.

------------------
--
Curumbor Elendil
jason.sorens@yale.edu
ICQ 56126989
Old January 31, 2000, 21:02   #9
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:29
just a minor tidbit.... you can't conquer 20 civs as two of them are your color .... unless i am mistaken ... which i think leaves 18 to conquer BTW my record is 8 civs as well

------------------
I am a civ addict. ARE U 2??????

icq 30200920

Old January 31, 2000, 21:18   #10
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 15:29
Warz - check DaveV's post.