Old February 3, 2000, 15:41   #1
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 17:29
Local Date: October 30, 2010
When to build
In a four player blood lust game, when is the best time to build the first city?
A)first turn where computer puts you
B)move around until a city site with good resources can be found.
my main concerne is whether moving around to a better city site will be good in the long run or will it only leave me vunerable?

------------------
"tongue-tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit, I" --Pink Floyd
Old February 3, 2000, 15:53   #2
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:29
Against the AI. I'll look around for a sweet spot as long as it takes.

In a MP game. I watch the top 5 cities so I know who has already started and who/how many are also spending time looking for a great city location. As long as others are looking I'll look until I find something good with at least a couple of specials... or until I realize there is no good spot (island rock).
[This message has been edited by My Wife Hates CIV (edited February 03, 2000).]
Old February 3, 2000, 16:58   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:29
With the corruption in Despotism, your first city location can make the difference of fast or slow science development.

Yes, MWHC is right on target when he says he monitors the top 5 cities to see how others are doing

Anytime you decide to search for a better location, you are taking a chance. If you don't find one, you are in serious trouble.
Nothing worse than searching for a while, and finding out your best place is where you started.

But I will always gamble to see if I can find a trade special resource. And sometimes, it is the wrong decision
Old February 3, 2000, 17:08   #4
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:29
I agree... but as always, there are those out here who think there is some special skill to all this. luck... that all this game is. I so freakin sick of dirt rock starts!
Old February 3, 2000, 18:07   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:29
legend has it that sometimes people get specials in their opening grid.Legend is all it is to me.Head for the water.This is where you will find whales.A great resource for citizen #1.On the way you may pick up NON units.Also there is a pattern,so you can build without exploring the entire city radius.Its fun to see what other specials are still in the dark or where to mine specials from grassland
Old February 3, 2000, 18:21   #6
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:29
as already stated, searching for a site with specials is a must if you have none in your radius.... getting two cities down with specials or rivers makes the difference in being first to monarchy... unless you tip too many huts before hand.

It is a gamble though and if you play enough, you will be burned many a time.... however, tipping that first hut and recieving a horsie or chariot is unmeaserable... unlessthe next hut you tip is on a hill with barbs lol.....

Wander for awhile but not too long..... anywhre from 5- 10 turns depending on what others are doing.

If your city radius has a river explore that and hope for a hut or special... if not building your capital and as many other cities on a river is an excellent idea

------------------
I am a civ addict. ARE U 2??????

icq 30200920

Old February 3, 2000, 19:44   #7
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 17:29
Thanks guys for the suggestions!