Old January 6, 2000, 21:34   #31
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:29
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I couldnt do it. I tried every way I could think of. Even modified the rules.txt a bit. That would be a neat trick if possible but I just dont see it. Anyone else have any luck with it??
Old January 6, 2000, 23:02   #32
SandMonkey
Prince

Local Time: 17:29
Sorry Aurelius, but i can't do it either. I guess you have an old version of civ2.
Old January 7, 2000, 03:47   #33
Aurelius
Prince

Well,

Daggonit! I'm going to set my mind to that neat display graphic concept right away. Can I ask a really stupid question, how do I tell what version of civ II I have? The credits only give the names of various contributors. My civ files are defaulted under a file called mps. The manual, which I have NEVER read is buried in the garage with some random box among many(very disorganized.)

Aurelius.
Old January 7, 2000, 06:35   #34
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Sorry if I am telling grandma how to suck eggs, but ...

If my memory serves me right the fortifying bomber trick worked in v2.08 (the standard CD version available in the UK - I just checked your profile, Aurelius, I have no idea what the standard issue is in the states) but is no longer available after applying the v2.42 patch - which you can get from the Microprose site at ftp://ftp.microprose.com/pub/mps-online/new-versions/civ242.zip

Hope this helps ...

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited January 07, 2000).]
Old January 7, 2000, 08:54   #35
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:29
Aurelius,

To determine the version of your software, click on Game, then Game options. Look at the title of the box that is then displayed.
Old January 7, 2000, 09:43   #36
Aurelius
Prince

Hi Scouse Gits,

This is the second time I can recall this grandmother sucks eggs thing. I only understand it due to a great word site:
http://clever.net/quinion/words/index.htm

Teach not thy parent's mother to extract
The embryo juices of the bird by suction.
The good old lady can that feat enact,
Quite irrespective of your kind instruction.

But your info is very appreciated.
And thanks Dave,

Guess I have Civ II 1.07.
Of course, one answer leads to another question: Do I have to buy a new Civ game to play Multiplayer?
And MWHC,
I've nearly got that nifty graphic thing figured out. Downloaded Ws-ftp LE as you mentioned in another post. Captured the screen on my civ II version and now I need to convert the damn thing and resize it. I like those graphic you post--oh...ah...especially the hut pattern one

Aurelius
Old January 9, 2000, 04:05   #37
Aurelius
Prince

Well,
This is more of an exercise in putting up a picture like MWHC than proving that bombers can fortify outside of cities. With CivII ver 1.07, they can fortify! So here is the silly picture:
http://www.farmhand.com/civImages.html

Well, since nobody with a modern version can fortify bombers, I'll stop...I promise

Aurelius.
[This message has been edited by Aurelius (edited January 09, 2000).]
Old January 27, 2000, 11:47   #38
Andromeda
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Aurelius and Jim W ! I was very interested in your comments on Blitzkrieg, still a much-loved favourite of mine after all the years.

You may be interested to know that it is now available in computer form, as a scenario of The Operational Art of War Vol. I, and can be downloaded free from one of the TOAW sites. It was a strange feeling to see that ol' familiar map on my computer screen ! The AI plays a pretty good game too !
Old January 27, 2000, 17:45   #39
Aurelius
Prince

Hey Andromeda,

Blitzkreig was a great game. When I started playing Civilization, I was reminded of the old days of wargaming. I'll have to download the game from the site you mention.

Back in those youthful times, I lived in a house full of avid gamers--there was War in the Pacific(?) ,Diplomacy--Europe, Diplomacy altered for 14 players on a world map--friend made this huge sheet of a world map, Battle of the Bulge, Panzer Blitz, D&D or Advance D&D--a favorite and Bliztkrieg was my favorite wargame. Chess/Poker/go! That was a fun house! A bit nerdy perhaps !

Aurelius--Mr interdiction.

(BTW--is there still a defcom (sp?) convention?)

Old January 29, 2000, 11:59   #40
kcbob
King

Boy is this thread taking off on a tangent. Blitzkrieg, huh? Loved it. But you are all forgetting the granddaddy of all board games... Risk! Unfortunately, the computer version seems a bit lame. Hence, Civ II rules!

As for the original post, I have the MPG version so I guess I'm SOL. (Just tried it in an old saved game and it didn't work).

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
Old January 29, 2000, 20:44   #41
Aurelius
Prince

Hey kcbob,

I use to love risk! But recently, I played a game with a bunch of folks and one guy took over the entire board in one turn! I still don't know if it was his rules or the real rules!

Going back to Bombers, I've never been a big fan of the beast, but mixed military units have a place in Civ war. Still, the only unit that needs be built to have a chance to wipe out an entire world in one turn is the howitzer. Maybe we should start an OTC or One Turn Challenge. You'd have to fight a completely defensive war until the ONE MEAN TURN.... Obviously I've had too much fun with OCC.

Au
Old January 29, 2000, 21:48   #42
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Did someone mention RISK!

Back, in another life, I used to play three board/partner Risk. You were allowed one diplomatic note to your partner each turn.

Oh the arguments it all caused. Happy days!

----------

Scouse Git (2)
Old January 29, 2000, 22:10   #43
SandMonkey
Prince

I used to play Risk on MPlayer.... and i sucked! And when i did win.... boy did that frost my cookies when someone wouldn't report it to ladder!

But when i played the real one my dad would whoop my butt.... of course that was a few years ago and i wasn't even a teenager yet.... maybe i can take him now....

------------------
SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
-Homer Simpson

"Ecky eck ecky!"
"It's just a flesh wound!"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Old January 31, 2000, 05:05   #44
catullus
Warlord

Risk was GOOD!
With 4 or more players, one game could last the whole night. Ahhhh. Guessing the others' game assignments. Building temporary alliances to stop them. Drinking buckets of beer.
Australia was too powerful, though. I remember we had a house rule, a hand drawn line on the map directly from Japan to Oz. Better game play. And almost historically correct, too.

C.
Old January 31, 2000, 12:41   #45
Andromeda
Chieftain

Just one last word on Blitzkrieg, for Aurelius' benefit.
The website is www.wargamer.com/toaw, and the Blitzkrieg scenario was revised last month.
Old February 4, 2000, 19:34   #46
RyanR
Warlord

Local Time: 15:29
my previous strategy, before when I could not even beat Prince, was to jump to Fundy ASAP, build fanatics in all my cities, and cover the map with them.. well I didn't really cover every square.. but I tried. many times I would seige a city, with every square except the city one, saturated with 3 or 4 units. But the city took a LONG time to go down it seemed.. and it took many times 100s or fanatics to take one city.. so that is why I never beat Prince with this strategy. Sigh. This was also before I somehow got a bug that now makes it so I can get NO science in Fundy. Before I could do just as well as democracy with that extra trade bonus.
Old February 4, 2000, 20:18   #47
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:29
i loved risk the board game although the comp version sucked eggs....its no surprise that strat board games and comp game players have played the same things... best over beer and joints.... man is diplomacy fun... anyone play castle risk???

A friend of mine created a game using risk pieces with a bit of D&D and a board... which he drew a new map with swamp jungle mountain etc.... with orcs, elves , dwarves , etc.... a blast .... we play 4 times a year and it goes for ever and we all end up passing out or such.... what a blast

------------------
I am a civ addict. ARE U 2??????

icq 30200920

Old February 4, 2000, 20:59   #48
Aurelius
Prince

Prince War,

I've played a couple civ mods that involved D&D type units...some of the Barbarian Monsters were so scary that I built City Walls in a turn. I think the game was toyed with that one needed city walls to have a chance too.

Your Castle Risk sounds like a blast--though my mind is addled enough to forego the joint. You would have liked the Grandmother of all wars, 14 player diplomacy--too bad there weren't a few Chinese Worms and Smaug drawn on the sheet.

AU--never did get to see what the Stealth monster looked like as I think I got to AC post haste.