amjayee
Prince

Local Time: 11:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Openciv3 - Religion
Religion

Created: May 23rd 2000
Updated: -

There has been popular demand for presenting religion in the game. This section tries to create a description of religion system. I will update it according to the discussion. From the beginning of the description you can see, when it is updated, and what was changed.

Religion is an entity, whose purpose is to convert as many people to their faith, and to worship something. Religions could work in similar way as civilizations. They are the only entity, that can own temples and other religious structures, though they could be built by civilizations and given to the religion. Religions follow their own ai, and they usually don't care about political or geographical borders.

Religions rise and fall like civilizations.

The religious system is little different from the others; there are no "skill levels" or such; There is only an overall figure of "religious activity", RA; the more the player gives power to the church, and the more he funds it, the more CE is used for religious work. Certain amount of CE would be needed to maintain current level of RA, if more is used, the level will raise.

The RA count will be used to determine the role of church and its effect on people and society; Very religious people is easy to convince to go for "crusades" against the "pagans" of evil civilization x. If certain religion is powerful, it will spread to other civs, making certain influence on their religious life, eventually causing them to believe in the same way as you, giving you possibility to gain certain level of control of their civ without needing to conquer them.

But, the more the church has power, the less you have it; there should be also some disadvantages for being very religious. Quite obvious consequence is the stagnation of science; the concept of "heresy". Also, the church will probably take some authority from you. These are visions; this is what it could be like. Of course certain theological information could be researched, too, as science; monotheism or polytheism, cult seremonies, dogmatic clashes, etc.

I hope I can update this soon. -amjayee
Old June 10, 2000, 14:32   #2
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

If you want a decent Religion model, check out the List v2.0. It's put together by Raingoon, Will, me and someone else whose nick I can't remember (sorry). The only problem (as far as I can remember of course; it's months ago I worked on it) is that it used the population system of Civ2, but I think that can be corrected easily after some thinking.

M@ni@c
Old June 11, 2000, 14:28   #3
amjayee
Prince

M@ni@c:

Could you please make a short summary of that religion system? I'm too busy to check it out right now. All ideas are welcome to this section.
Old November 4, 2000, 02:44   #4
heardie
Prince

Local Time: 20:34
^Bump^