Old January 29, 2000, 18:16   #31
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 17:30
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Well, it didn't work. My strategy was only good for taking a few cities at a time. I had a hard time holding the captured cities so I had to invest valuable resources for immediate defense - which slowed my offense. I did manage to knock the Russians down to 2nd place, but what remained (as I found out after I retired early) was that the Russians, Zulus, Indians and Carths each had about 12-15 large cities. From that point forward, all of those civs were equal to me in techs (after they stole Adv.Flight and Rocketry), so it would very hard going just to maintain what I already had.

The next time I play a similar game, I will start earlier in destroying other civs. I was handicapped at first by starting in the middle and then exploring the lower left quadrant. Most of the other civs were in the upper left and lower right quadrants - therefore my contact with them came late.

War4: I'm sorry to disappoint you, my friend. I'd spent two weeks playing this game on a very accurate map that I created. As it turned out, the map (covering NY state and the surrounding area) was too good - way too many great spots for 7 civs to develop quickly.

My next games will be finally playing on small maps, so I can learn how to take out civs quicker and eventually, leading to OCC.

Thanks for all of the help and comments.
Old January 29, 2000, 20:09   #32
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:30
hey Steve i would be interested in that map for a try an chance of email it to me at dieselonly@home.com

------------------
I am a civ addict. ARE U 2??????

icq 30200920

Old January 30, 2000, 01:18   #33
Steve Clark
King

War4: No, all five of the remaining civs are big, it's just the Russians were the biggest. At this point, I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I attacked about 1-3 size 11/12 cities per turn, accept cease fire for a turn or two, then start back in. Everyone's catching up now and I still have a ways to go (they are attacking me with armor and very soon, bombers). I weakened the Russians considerably but now must turn my attention to the Zulus after finishing off the last German city. I fought mostly on two fronts, just couldn't fight on three. Might have to fight a modern war against like units.
Old January 30, 2000, 12:50   #34
kcbob
King

C Rex,

Cities in disorder? Moi??? I don't think so. I'll have to pay more attention to that but I think the buggers justed waltzed on in and zap... no more city.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
Old January 30, 2000, 16:13   #35
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Steve.... thanks for the game.... i am going to give it a whirl today and let you know how i am fairing in it.

------------------

icq 30200920

Old February 1, 2000, 19:16   #36
War4ever
Emperor

Hey there Steve Clark.... well i gave the map a whirl and it was a toughy.... i played as the spanish and did well, but man it was difficult. You are right about the good starting spots.... too many of em.... so it was war the whole game and i won but only by taking huge losses....

I took to long to contain the french who were the only power left of any size when i finally met them on the other side of the river. The one area of the map i didn't explore of course.

SOL saved the day as did Sun Tzus.... without those and wall i would have been toast. I got gardens as well and no SSC.

Dips and spies.... and damm to many techs to monarchy.... slowed me down. I won in 1974 nuking the last three French cities and para dropping troops in..... great map .... i want to try it again. BTW i played for about 20hours straight on it..... was a load of fun.

I am designing my own map when its done perhaps you would like to give it a whirl?

------------------

icq 30200920

Old February 1, 2000, 22:31   #37
Steve Clark
King

War4: Thanks, I'm glad you liked the map. Maybe I oughta post it in the maps section of Apolyton? I'm curious as to your starting location and how many civs were in Canada. It took me about 20 hours to play until the 1880s, but over a 2 weeks period.

For those who wants to know what we are talking about, it is this...

I am a geographer by education and a computer cartographer (map maker) by profession for almost 20 years. Ever since I started playing CivII, I have always wanted to design a map to play on. I chose my home area of New York State because it offers quality geography for civing and personally, it is the homeland of my ancestors since 1799 and a place that has alot of meaning to me. Anyway, to cover all of New York State, I included the eastern half of Ontario (separated by the ocean squares of the St. Lawrence, Lake Ontario and Lake Erie), the northern half of Pennsylvania and all of New England to the eastern part of the Connecticut River valley. Within this area, especially New York State, I included all of the significant rivers, lakes and mountainous/hilly areas. Using my skills as a cartographer, the locations of the shorelines and rivers are spatially accurate (within the confines of the editor). The size of the map is 59 x 94, a little larger than normal. If anyone else wants this map, I can email it to you.
Old February 2, 2000, 02:46   #38
War4ever
Emperor

i imagine those nasty french were behind the great lakes.... took me forever to figure out where they were..... i had to nuke everyone once someone stole mobil warfare... i didn't want to deal with those tanks coming at me..... i wished i had saved it now to send you a copy.... oh well next time..... and hey do you have any other challenging maps ???

------------------

icq 30200920

Old February 9, 2000, 19:05   #39
Lazlo
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:30
I definitely agree that MGE AI is extremely much more aggressive than in v2.42.
It is too bad, because I am not that interested to play multiplayer. Just wanted to play some of the scenarios in the CD but it is quite boring, always the AI with such an aggressive posture against me, even the ones that should be supposed to be my allies!
Microprose should make the Vic2 Fantastic Scenarios executable freely available, so we can patch the MGE and go back to old (and good!) diplomacy.
Old February 9, 2000, 19:29   #40
Sten Sture
Emperor

I posted a couple of MGE diplomacy tricks for AI attitude at the end of the second OCC comparison game thread. I was able to land in 1791 with multiple allies by waiting to re-contact the AIs until I could gift them five things to get their attitude up from uncoop to worshipful. Hide your strength by developing your Potential instead of your army and population, keep your cash invested in rush building improvements, minimize military units to keep from being Supreme, and be aware (thru embassies) of who is fighting whom: these general ideas can make MGE almost as balanced as v2.xx in diplomacy.

I do agree with Lazlo though that in some scenarios it could make the game almost unplayable.
[This message has been edited by Sten Sture (edited February 09, 2000).]
Old February 10, 2000, 02:06   #41
kcbob
King

Thanks for the tips, SS. But giving FIVE things to each AI? How do I get that far ahead? Are you talking strictly research items, money, military units, or a combination of all?

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
Old February 11, 2000, 01:25   #42
Sten Sture
Emperor

Five total... map trading counts.

I'm not arguing that it is a good solution! but unless someone can figure out a way to hex edit the anger and aggressiveness - it may be all we have.