Old February 14, 2000, 07:39   #1
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Vanishing Wonder
Maybe this should be posted in MP - if so, sorry, but I don't know my way round that forum.

Last night, playing hot seat against SG(2), I was happily sleazing my way across this mini-continent (large map, small land mass, archipelago) with my Crippled Science City (SG(2) had nabbed the Colossus whilst I was innocently building the Hanging Gardens) quietly building the Great Wall when ...

No warning - no Egyptians have nearly completed their great project - no nothing - just an announcement that The Egyptians had completed the GW! Quickly rush to my CSC to find - a s*dd*ng elephant! - no chance to change to another Wonder - no choice about what I would like just this bl**dy great pachyderm sitting in the middle of my lovely city consuming resources that I can scarcely afford!
Is this normal with hot seat / MP games?
Am I wrong to be, "P*ss*d of as H*LL" is there a cure?

HELP!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old February 14, 2000, 12:40   #2
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 15:30
SG(1) - this is just a hotseat phenomenon. When it is not your turn, the AI runs your empire so you can end up getting into a war, building a 200 shield temple, trading gunpowder for pottery, or launching your incomplete space ship. Okay, I'm not sure about the last one, but you get the idea....

Quite a bad deal.
Old February 14, 2000, 15:15   #3
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

yes the ai is absolutely nuts..... moving all your troops out of the city for fresh air... while you go into disorder.... even better is when they have a revolution and go to republic whilst your were origionally a monarchy....
Old February 14, 2000, 16:41   #4
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

That's a good one. Why not give the other human player republic so he can go revolution as well?

I think fortified units have a better chance not to go out of the city for fresh air.
Old February 14, 2000, 20:15   #5
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Dunno about that. I've had the AI send my fortified units all over the place.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!

Old February 14, 2000, 21:37   #6
Artourus
Settler

Anyone else care to report similar stories?
Old February 14, 2000, 21:41   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Actually this is a little off topic but not really.... one of my favorite readings in the "tales from the diplomatic front part II" series, was when the human players reported about the way the AI Sioux acted after inheriting a large empire that one of the humans had built..... the ai was just hostile and an absoulute bully and the way that everyone referred to it as a leader made me chuckle more than once

------------------
I am the kind of guy who likes to eat cereal in the morning while watching tv in my undershorts.
- Roger Clemens
Old February 15, 2000, 02:16   #8
Aurelius
Prince

Uh oh, SG[1], I decided to play against myself in hotseat just to see what the story was with the variant and the same thing happened to me. But I got a horseman in exchange for my nearly built HG! Most disappointing. Fortunately, my other civ is looking like a SSC.

Hey War4ever, now I understand why your hero is Roger Clemens. And you probably like Homer Simpson too

AU
Old February 15, 2000, 03:02   #9
Aurelius
Prince

Oh geesh, Artourus, you asked for other Hot seat games...I made an alliance with the mongols. They were very hostile and I was surprised how easily we got an alliance by just giving them writing. Well, two or three turns later they just up and kill two units and were were still ALLIED! This hotseat is too unpredictable...maybe like mp.

AU
Old February 15, 2000, 04:43   #10
War4ever
Emperor

Actually Aurelius.... Roger is my idol and i am not a homer or simpsons fan.... its ok but i don't really watch it per say
Old February 15, 2000, 06:07   #11
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Thanks guys, I guess a sidetrack to Trade is very much in order ....

Another (possibly silly) question - if the AI 'plays' for you during your out-period is it in any way influenced by the default settings of your civ - i.e. does it assume that SG(2) is expansionist & civilised just because he plays Roman or that I'm militaristic (where did they get that idea) when I'm a Cart?

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old February 16, 2000, 01:12   #12
Sten Sture
Emperor

SG[1] - I think it does make a difference; I might try to play as the Persians (Civilized Rational Perfectionist??) to minimize AI treaty breaking and wonder abandonment. (but don't tell SG[2])