Constructive suggestions for AI please
Okay, seems like I'm not the only guy who would like to see a more intelligent AI. Let's see how you (us) mod-makers could attempt to overcome these (shame on activision and its hackers!). Let's summarize the requirements as far as AI is concerned, based on what folks have posted:
1. AI military should be more strategic in terms of picking targets. Personally, I think this is a lost cause in CTP2.
2. AI military should attack in force. There may be some hope for this.
3. AI diplomacy should be improved drastically. In particular, in evaluating proposals. No more, "reject one turn, and propose the same thing next turn"! Perhaps the diplomacy AI files may be overhauled.
4. AI should attempt to take back its important cities that were captured (Another lost cause, I believe). Especially its capitol!! And especially, because of all its cheating, these turn out to be my best cities!!
5. AI should learn how to transport a big force across water (lost cause again).
6. I haven't checked in CTP2, but in CTP1 AI1 would declare war with AI2, then ask me (the good guy) for help against AI2, and when I do declare war on AI2, former dude would declare peace, leaving me hanging to dry! See point 7.
7. Alliances, etc. should be made more strategic. Likewise diplomacy. In the current set up, the AI is at war with everyone and their daddy, ALMOST ALL THE TIME! What's up with that??
8. Small thing. Show the AI how to use its carriers please.
9. Small thing. Show the AI what limited aircraft fuel means.
10. Show the AI that when its at war with me, it needs to protect its settlers, transport ships, etc. I'm NOT MR. NICE guy!! I get sick of expelling its damn settlers who're trying to settle inside my borders, JUST A FEW TILES AWAY FROM THE FIERCEST BATTLE IN ITS HISTORY!!
11. Personally, I don't see the point of the AI leaving units outside the protection of cities during a war. But I may be wrong about this one.
12. Please reduce the GOAL_HARASS and GOAL_BOMBARD of the AI. This is a positive nuisance. The fool sends out one (!!) cannon to bombard my biggest armies. It works only because I'm too lazy to bother about killing the stupid cannon.
13. Stop this nonsense where the biggest, baddest AI (due to its cheating, of course) becoming a third-rate power in less than a hundred turns. I mean that takes away ANY ILLUSION that you're playing a worthy adversary.
Okay, that's my AI wishlist. Hope some of the more knowledgeable folks at apolyton can begin to offer remedies. Please don't keep us in suspense until the mod!!