Old February 10, 2000, 20:57   #31
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:30
Local Date: October 30, 2010
thats why they are the best unit lol
Old February 10, 2000, 21:02   #32
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Ming: Sorry, my wife is coming so now I'm overwhelmed.
Plus, I'm having fun playing scenarios. You can imagine the satisfaction when I played Hitler in '2194days of war' and destroyed the Soviet Union in 4 turns. BTW you should try this scenario before Captain Nemo makes it more difficult. His new scenario, Red Front, was extremely hard and now he's trying to revise '2194days of war' using the new techniques he developed from 'Red Front'.
Old February 11, 2000, 02:48   #33
don Don

MasterBob, you must be the no-trading idiot Sgt Sheets beat up in MP.

Old February 11, 2000, 12:55   #34
Sten Sture
Emperor

My fav unit combo would be the Alosaurus and the Triceratops; or the Kraken/Sorcerer. Damn, I've been playing too many scenarios too...

Now for the real purpose of this post:

------------------
I already look quite stupid enough - Graag
Old February 11, 2000, 14:10   #35
klesh
King

Local Time: 19:30
Dips/Spies, Caravan/Freight, these are fun to play with, but they can be terribly unrealistic. No need to poison water supplies 8 or 9 times, or build a wonder in 1 turn with freight. I enjoy having a realistic struggle where each move is crucial for strategic dislocating the enemy.
The armor unit has good attack and very respectable defense, and there is no eliminating a huge AI Civ in one turn using the railroad. Those things don't happen. And if it means that my final score isn't 30,000% or whatever....fine, I had a fun time anyway. It's no fun to see just how perfect you can be. Trying to contain blunders and such is just as enjoyable.
Old February 11, 2000, 14:11   #36
klesh
King

Local Time: 19:30
Damn....double post ......sorry y'all
[This message has been edited by Field Marshal Klesh (edited February 11, 2000).]
Old February 11, 2000, 15:36   #37
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 17:30
No, it's not about how perfect one can be, but about strategies that wins, within the context of the game of course.
Old February 11, 2000, 17:57   #38
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
Without a doubt!
Scouse Git + Vet Battleship
Old February 13, 2000, 21:42   #39
Graag
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

My vote for best pair or team of units is pikeman and catapult. When both of these are vet in the early game, and parked on a hill by a city, that city doesnt have a prayer

Although a close second is pikeman and settler, this is great combo in the above strat, as it makes the trusty pikeman even harder to remove, and of course means much more effective borders can be maintained between two civs (try getting through 2 vet pikes and 2 vet catapults in a fortress on a hill )

Graag

------------------
You should never smoke in pyjamas, you could start a fire and burn your face

[This message has been edited by Graag (edited February 13, 2000).]
Old February 13, 2000, 23:59   #40
David Floyd
Emperor

quote:

(try getting through 2 vet pikes and 2 vet catapults in a fortress on a hill )

Well, for starters, I guess you could just go around, either walk your unit around the mountain, or bypass it with your units in transports.

I don't play much multiplayer, but what you should know about me is that late in the game I'm the navy king.

I'm not so good early game though, lack of practice.
Old February 14, 2000, 00:45   #41
Graag
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Play yourself some mp, I'll duel you if you like.
You will discover that pikes and catapults on a hill are very nasty, if the hill is in the right place.

Oh, and everyone is king towards the end of the game, but you'll see that mp games very very rarely (esp. duels) get that far.

Graag

------------------
You should never smoke in pyjamas, you could start a fire and burn your face
Old February 14, 2000, 03:10   #42
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

thats cause all the opponents concede way to early IMO
Old February 16, 2000, 22:23   #43
Sergeant Sheets
King

Battleships are good for two things: High seas terrorism (with missiles this task is done for) and harbor defence. The enemy has to exhaust five to ten missles to get a battleship, if property fortified.
[This message has been edited by Sergeant Sheets (edited February 18, 2000).]
Old February 17, 2000, 07:40   #44
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Sergeant Sheets

A vet battleship has many uses. If you like playing as a Democracy it allows the continuation of war without your Senate intervening. Let me explain.

If your neighbours on a nearby continent persist with “sneak attacks” – as they always do – the battleship permits you to blockade their coastal towns. If they fail to put anything to sea they can’t do much to harm your empire. (All this assumes that you are well ahead in the tech tree – as you should be playing in demo) Once you have bottled up the enemy forces on their own territory they cannot contact you for peace. They cannot send their emissaries out to your ships. Hence, no Senate conducting deals behind your back.

On many occasions I have used this strategy with cruisers/ironclads – but the beauty of the vet battleship comes with its ability to kill a defender in each coastal city every turn. This concentrates the AI’s attention on other things – like reinforcing its troops to the coast from their inland cities.

When playing in Fundy/Communism the vet battleship is wasted if it just conducts terrorism on the high seas. This unit destroys city defenders quickly and efficiently. It paves the way for your ground troops to conquer.

Your comments on the posting above seemed a little out of character. Were you sent to bed early?

On a happier note, I trust you are enjoying “Colonisation”

------------
SG (2)
Old February 17, 2000, 20:45   #45
Aurelius
Prince

SG's, you have to remember, Sten has a vested interest...

If we all want to be happy, I could order MPG for you and do the shipping for microprose and you could just order me the ToT and send it directly...and Sten could get richer....does sound complex

AU
Old February 17, 2000, 21:35   #46
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

AU
I'm sure we can do some kind of deal. As I have the MP version - MPGE is probably not necessary. However, I am keen to obtain the advanced CIV 2 strategy guide. I think there is one written by D. Ellis. Does this sound familiar?
----------
SG (2)
Old February 17, 2000, 21:50   #47
Sten Sture
Emperor

Ellis and John Possidente (Apolyton Poster in ToT section) did the first strat book and then John's brother David??? did the advanced one? IIRC.

Both are aware of the existence of Liverpool, but only in theory. I would be more than happy to send you a copy of the advanced strategy guide. I have one on order from Amazon thru the Apolyton store. There is also a link on the Apolyton Civ2 home page for Buying that searches online retailers for stuff. By typing Civilization II and Books I got this link
http://www.buy.com/books/product.asp?sku=30136254

Now make that damn HAS stock go up like all of the other computer related stocks in the universe!!!

The most useful unit is the Vet Frigate with Magellans Voyage 4-2-4 becomes 6-3-6 and can carry 2 land units.

[This message has been edited by Sten Sture (edited February 17, 2000).]
Old February 18, 2000, 01:20   #48
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

That was a bit catty yourself SG(2) my son. Unfortunately Sarge has been having some mailbox trouble and has not yet got his Colonisation fix - hopefully I shall be able to get it off tonight - but it looks like tomorrow now ...

Aurelius, or was it Carolus Rex - Microprose does not want my money - I filled in their purchase order for CiC, FW & MPGE some $55 worth of stuff and they said "No shipper goes to your area!" - and just try out their so called "Customer Services" area!!!!!!!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old February 18, 2000, 01:30   #49
Sten Sture
Emperor

Well it is obviously your fault for living in the middle of no-where!
Old February 18, 2000, 11:06   #50
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Well now I am really anoyed - it seems that my hard earned cash is simply not wanted in US of A!
Having (qv) failed miserably to give Hasbro money yesterday, I thought I'd do my bit for the community and order from good old trusty Amazon (with whom I have done considerable business over the last few years) using the Apolyton link of course.
What do I get, well both CiC and FW are cheaper through Amazon than direct from Hasbro but "These items can only be shipped in the US"
For ****'s sake do they believe that the Ancient Scrolls contain the secret of 128 bit encryption or something?

Aurelius
you're on! SG(2) and I will compose a shopping list over the weekend and be in touch early next week...
By the bye one of us will have to bite the bullet and reveal an e-mail address so that we can get in direct contact ... I shall twist SG(2)'s arm or is the farmhand@**** I found from your homepage valid for you?

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old February 18, 2000, 18:01   #51
Aurelius
Prince

Hi Cato,

It's valid! I think I've displayed it in public before without too much trouble. Let me know your list! I'm sorry that you don't have airplanes in Liverpool, but at least you have a slow boat in SF to dispatch the goodies--AU

By the way, going back to the thread, I like rifleman! I'm never sorry about having to develop the conscription advance.

Old February 18, 2000, 21:02   #52
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Hi AU!
We want to trade.
E-Mail coming. We DO have an airport at Liverpool, called Speke. Now pronounce it!!!
---------
SG 1 & 2
Old February 19, 2000, 01:02   #53
Sergeant Sheets
King

Yeah, mommie put me to bed too early.

Just that I have had some bad experience with battleships.

Still, I think that battleships are less effective than a good AEGIS and a couple subs filled with missiles. In MP that is a good deturant; in SP it don't do squat.