Old February 18, 2000, 16:16   #31
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:30
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Scouse Gits 2..... i know you need pottery for the HG ..... but i still take B.W. or H.R. and then make the switch to pottery after Monarchy

only one non monarchy tech ....... if possible for me ..... then pottery.....unless i get everyones favorite from a hut WArrior Code
Old February 18, 2000, 23:41   #32
Rasputin00

still dont know how you guys defend so well without Phalanx, Many times a phalnx in my city is al lthat has prevented me losing my captial in an early part of game when the Raging Hordes come tearing across the blackness. Warriors will never hold of the barbs and when an army of barbs attacks a horse or two wont be sufficent to kill all of the attackers... I msut be misisng something , it seems to me that the barbs will attack your weakest point.

Old February 19, 2000, 00:38   #33
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Rasputin...... many of my defenses in x1x1 are based on warriors and dips..... plus lately i have gone back to pumping out settlers again.... with a new twist.... upgrading cities in four city intervals..... trying to time everything just right is nerveracking..... and time consuming... so far i am not sure its working.....
Old February 19, 2000, 23:25   #34
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 18:30
Ras, part of the secret of defending with warriors early, is to move them out of the city to mountains when you see them coming. Even if they don't survive it doesn't cost you population and hurt barbs can't do as much damage to your cities.

Another trick if it's raging hoards and the barbs are on you quick, is to send your settlers out a little farther and not drop the third city. Until then, you capital is save from barb attacks and it usually leaves you with vets. Nothing funnier than watching a single warrior defend successfully against three chariots on the same turn. I've held off the third city a couple of times when my capital was beseiged early my multiple barbs.

Granted you want to get the cities down quick but not at the expense of your capital.

RAH
Lord of the Ferrets

RAH
Old February 20, 2000, 09:59   #35
Rasputin00

Am i reading you right rah, in that you are saying until your third city the barbs cant conquer your capital , if so you are wrong, because in one game i was palying i only had 2 cities founded and the damn barbs attacked my capital (warrior only) and conquered it, of course game was over for me then , with no palace my production was down and i couldnt catch up to everyone else....

Old February 20, 2000, 18:44   #36
War4ever
Emperor

while i too have succumbed to losing my capital early before, in a game last night i had 7 cities and three barb chariots strolled on my capital making my only warrior in it a vet..... perhaps i was lucky.... however two of my outer rim cities weren't so lucky next few turns
Old February 20, 2000, 19:54   #37
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
There's a school of thought that says the Barbs can't take your capital if it's your only city. Frequently, as Rah points out, you'll see a lone warrior holding out against multiple chariot attacks. It is kind of amusing to watch.

Until, for no understandable reason, the Barb buggers do take your capital! They can do it, even if it's your only city. They've done it to me. Thus I no longer subscribe to the school of thought that Barbs won't take your capital if it's your only city.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!

Old February 20, 2000, 20:13   #38
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Interesting to see the variety of responses here. In a previous thread, No one had claimed to have lost a defended capital to barbs when it was there only city. I never have. (and that's a lot of games) And since someone suggested that it worked until the third city was placed, I have played under that assumtion. And I HAVE NEVER lost my Capital to barbs. Maybe I'm just the luckiest sucker alive or maybe hosting has something to do with it or the raging hoard setting. It would be nice if we could get some definative answer on this one. Where is XIN when we need him?

Any other experiences with this?

RAH
The Luckiest Lord of the Ferrets
Old February 20, 2000, 20:37   #39
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I have bumped an old OCC thread for reference. In the games that you lost your capital, what were the settings.
http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HT...tml?date=19:29

I couldn't find the earliest thread that discussed this.

RAH
Old February 20, 2000, 21:06   #40
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I had to go test this.
Set up an MP game with just myself an one ai.
Deity, Raging hoard, 2x1x and played the Romans.
Built one city and put one warrior in it and then set the city to no growth or production once it got to size three and waited for the barbs.
Over 20 attacks by horseman and chariots.
Not one lick of damage to the warrior.
I even reset one sequence when dual chariots attacked a couple of times. No damage.
Went all the way to 500 bc. Capital survived.
Please try to replicate this test.

If i get a few spare minutes, i'll try it with two cities.

RAH
[This message has been edited by rah (edited February 20, 2000).]
Old February 20, 2000, 21:30   #41
War4ever
Emperor

i am willing to bet Finbars lost capital was a glitch..... i have only lost my capital when being careless and it wasnt' with only one city either..... however this does not guarrante that this is absolute.... although i feel as if it is.... bugs or glitches appear in civ2 all the time.... as far as i am concerned..... a nuke could appear from a lake on a barb trireme and i wouldn't be surprised
Old February 21, 2000, 06:47   #42
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
LOL War, Perhaps not surprised, but sure as hell somewhat upset!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old February 21, 2000, 07:57   #43
SlowHand

Bronze,then the path to Monarchy.
Usually.
If I'm fortunate enough to build on rivers or near other specials that can get my trade and science cooking, then I may take some good war advances first. Like horses,wheel and/or warrior code.
[This message has been edited by SlowHand (edited February 21, 2000).]

Old February 21, 2000, 08:25   #44
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:30
Regarding the single-city vs. barbs: I agree with rah; this has never failed in my experience. When I first discovered this (a couple years ago), I cheated some barb armors next to my city, which was defended by a warrior. Not a scratch on the warrior.

I believe finbar plays on the mac; maybe that explains his different experience.
Old February 21, 2000, 08:39   #45
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

The single city is untouchable for barbs!

The question is if two cities are?

Edited part: Since Rah posted about holding off the third city.

Carolus

[This message has been edited by Carolus Rex (edited February 21, 2000).]
Old February 21, 2000, 12:01   #46
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

I've seen the same thing happen when I only have two cities... Either that, or my non vet warriors were a heck of a lot tougher than I gave them credit for

Yeah rah, you brought it up, so go test it!
Old February 21, 2000, 21:25   #47
finbar
Emperor

Yeah, I play on a Mac. It was a customised map, a duel hosted by someone else, Deity and Raging Hordes. By the zillion. The first couple of attacks left my Warrior unscathed. Then came a swarm of chariots - boom!

I know it's happened to at least 2 other players - one Mac, one PC. I screamed loudly when it happened, because I was under the impression that it couldn't happen. These 2 players told me to stop grizzling, it had happened to them.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!

Old February 21, 2000, 21:28   #48
finbar
Emperor

PS. On the other hand, in the countless other games I've played, my capital (as my only city) has survived onslaughts that would have decimated any other city.

So maybe it's a glitch. If so, it's just a tad annoying.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!

Old February 22, 2000, 04:03   #49
War4ever
Emperor

like prozzack said..... it sucks to be you
Old February 22, 2000, 07:11   #50
finbar
Emperor

Go change a nappy. (That'd be a diaper to you)

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!