Old February 21, 2000, 20:24   #1
Drago Sinio
Prince

Local Time: 23:30
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Help! How can I make my cities grow faster on D
I have been trying to beat the game on deity level, and have run into the problem of the AI civs outgrowing my cities. I have 12 well placed cities, ranging from 8 to 17 in size at this point. The problem is that some of the AI civs already have 20+ cities in some cases, and I cant catch up.

Does the AI get a bonus in growth rate or something at the Deity level?

Old February 21, 2000, 20:34   #2
Tom DeMille
Prince

Local Time: 18:30
Do you know about We Love the President Days? If you increase luxury so that half the population in a city is Happy, then WLTPD start. Your population will then increase by 1 per turn as long as you have the food to support them. Make sure your settlers have been busy irrigating the land in preparation for this.
Old February 21, 2000, 21:00   #3
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Half? Or more Happy Faces than Content Faces? Oh, and no Unhappy Faces. The odd Elvis can look after the latter.

Bear in mind also, DS, that the AI food boxes are much smaller than yours, so the AI doesn't need anything like the requirements you need to grow.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!

Old February 21, 2000, 22:54   #4
Drago Sinio
Prince

Thanks for the tip on the WLTPD thing. I did use that, but it always seems that when you grow the city, you get unhappiness, which prevents further growth. So it will grow one or two population points , then stop.

Maybe there is a specific point in the game to use the WLTPD? Like right after you build the aquducts? Or right after a Happiness SP?

And I thought the AI had some advantage in growth, a smaller food box would certainly explain the rapid growth. Thanks.
Old February 21, 2000, 22:54   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:30
"we love days" effect the different government types differently.The population growth happens in Republic and Democracy only.

other government forms can use granaries(Pyramids) and FOOD caravans to grow cities or just food caravans alone.
Old February 22, 2000, 02:04   #6
Black Bart

well if you have some of the early happiness wonders oracle, hanging gardens you can boom up to your aquaduct size if you have temples. You shouldn't have too many unhappiness problems. By the time you build sewer systems and have michelangelos and st. bach cathedral this should help pop. booming up to 20 and beyond. I admit, I don't use it as often as I should, but I have to at Deity. I don't use it much at emporer, because I'm usually ahead anyways.

Old February 22, 2000, 03:34   #7
Smash
Emperor

investigate an ai city on deity and you will see the smaller boxes.Also smaller at emperor.Same at king.
Old February 22, 2000, 03:58   #8
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

yah its not really a cheat just the ai version of the rules which are entirely diffent to yours... which is why their GNP is always way higher in the beginning.... or isthat because i dont start caravans early enough
Old February 22, 2000, 05:15   #9
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

DS - have a look at some of the OCC threads, and read the logs. These players really know how to grow a city - they have to with only one production centre!
----------
SG (2)
Old February 22, 2000, 08:37   #10
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 01:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't know...

10 to 12 cities of that size should be enough. Maybe you can grow the science city a little more, that should help some.

Try using the rest of the cities to crank out caravans and freights. If you're a clean player send them over to the other civs, if you're not reassign them to the science city first!

Edited part: Speed things up with rushbuilding, the sooner the caravans get out there the better.

Carolus

[This message has been edited by Carolus Rex (edited February 22, 2000).]
Old February 22, 2000, 10:46   #11
Drago Sinio
Prince

Thanks to all for the valuable feedback. I will have to put these suggestions into my next game and see what happens! I finished the game I was writing about last night. the Sioux beat me to launching, so I didnt win the game, but I was at least reasonably competetive. Maybe there is hope for me yet!