Old December 12, 2000, 03:17   #1
ContradictioN

Whats it going to take to export the terrain files and import them back in?
?

Old December 12, 2000, 14:31   #2
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Care to elaborate?
Old December 12, 2000, 16:42   #3
phenyl
Settler

Local Time: 09:44
i am pretty sure he means changing the graphics of the terrain tiles themselves. i dont have an answer, but i dont think this has come up yet.

Old December 12, 2000, 17:04   #4
ContradictioN

yah, I just hate some of the terrain images, they are either so messy or too dark. I also don't like the farms, they don't link up like in civ2, so it doesn't look like you've done a lot of work to your land. So I want to work on fixing that for myself.

Why don't Activision 'get it'? These guys DO play civ don't they?

I feel like, some company has taken Monkey Islands story, and ripped out the jokes, killed elaine and made lechuck nice.

Old December 13, 2000, 15:35   #5
AeonOfTime
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 10:44
I gues this is a subject that hasn't really been approached yet...

Editing the game graphics isn't going to be an easy one, I guess unless we find someone good enough to hack the way the guys at activision compiled the game graphics.

I know of a few guys that did great work on the might & magic series, where the system was similar, all the game graphics compiled into a few huge files. They found a way to extract the graphics for editing, and put them back in...

Unfortunately, they are not interested in civ games... :-(

But maybe these postings are gonna make some ideas sprout? I certainly do hope! those farm graphics are really hideous, especially the advanced one, they completely destroy the look of the map later in the game when you have a lot of them...

Peace, Aeon of Time
Old December 13, 2000, 16:29   #6
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:44
I was working with some people on the inside of Activision for several months, getting the Alexander scenario together. During that time, I repeatedly pestered Mr. Ogre about allowing the terrain graphics to be changed. He gave some vague promises that he would do something about it, but obviously only as a low priority, if other stuff was done. He said the game would have to be shipped first before he considered it.

So recently I emailed him again to see what's up on this issue, but haven't gotten a response. I also asked about the Samurai scenario, which if you'll notice contains a few terrain graphics different from the regular game (for instance a bridge and a village). How they did that, I'd sure like to know.

I think if they get to this in a patch will depend on how much people ask for it.
Old December 13, 2000, 18:52   #7
ContradictioN

well, wicked, the shores are the best terrain tile by far, but I can't stand some of the others!