Old December 6, 2000, 11:13   #1
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
North America Map Review
For anyone who downloaded my North America map from OmniGod's link, if you have any comments good or bad, please post them under this post.

thanks
Old December 6, 2000, 16:07   #2
Phalanx2000
Settler

Local Time: 09:44
Please forgive my ignorance, but I found two mapes at the link you posted in a thread on this site. Currently I am playing the one that supports 14 civs. Would that be yours?

If so, I dig it, but I would have added more trade commodities to it. Are they random? I started as the Native Americans, killed off the Mexicans and the Americans and am doing ok, but all I have is tea in the rockies, a couple hardwoods towards florida and emeralds somewhere else... need oil in Texas, man!!! Lots 'o oil!!! (or whatever commo works for that)

If yours is the other map, it'll have to wait.
Old December 6, 2000, 16:11   #3
Phalanx2000
Settler

Ignore my last post, i am ignorant... I didn't realize you did the N. America one only
Old December 6, 2000, 16:18   #4
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

If your talking about Omni's World Map... the goods are random, until someone comes up with a way to implement more than just monetary changes for goods... hopefully in the near future...

Omni

(sorry didn't mean to interfer with your review thread)
Old December 7, 2000, 00:39   #5
MrFun
Emperor

Don't cha worry Omni - I won't go and nuke your cities for posting.

Seriously, any thoughts from you are welcome in this topic just like anyone else.
Old December 7, 2000, 03:30   #6
OmniGod
Prince

Hey can I get a copy of the original map file, since the scenario load and the savegame aren't loading up on my computer... but every map file does.... it's strange... I don't remember changing much... awell think about that another time

Omni
Old December 7, 2000, 11:05   #7
MrFun
Emperor

Hey Omni, I e-mailed you the original map file of North America.
Old December 9, 2000, 04:30   #8
MrFun
Emperor

No reviews from anyone? wow
Old December 9, 2000, 06:10   #9
Semjaza
Settler

Yup, we're all too busy playing it to comment on it!
Old December 9, 2000, 20:28   #10
MrFun
Emperor

Hey Semjaza, did you seriously download my North America map? That's cool if you did - when you do find time, I would like to know what you think of it.
Old December 9, 2000, 20:34   #11
OmniGod
Prince

Okay my review time... I've played the map for 250 turns and haven't found any real problems other than the northern islands (already addressed). There is no slowing down based on civs or size since the map is within the outlines given by acti... things that would have made it even better would have been starting with 2 settlers and militia unit in a ship landing on an already partial occupied north america... you could have real possibility with the map... another thing for future maps, is detail... detail is pretty important especially if you're doing a smaller scale map or a magnified region... just a comment, and I'm not sure how much you can detail 60 degrees by 120 degrees but overall I'm enjoying the map and can' wait for your next one...

nice job

Omni
Old December 11, 2000, 03:48   #12
Semjaza
Settler

MrFun,
Sorry, for not going into more detail earlier...I am currently playing two games, one with Omni's map (which btw really rocks! --- see my post elsewhere on this forum) and your North American map. I am currently playing as the Russians on yours and everything is looking good after 300 turns. You did a great job with the map! Thanx! Omni made some really good points concerning your map (he is the expert after all!), especially concerning detail. I noticed certain areas of the map that seemed a little out of place (but this may just be me and definitely does not need any major concern over) that could have been expanded on, but the map is good enough for me though, and I am really enjoying my game so far. Besides, I doubt I could have done a better job! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into it! Thanx again...Look forward to playing on any new maps you may create...

------------------
Just another Civ Addict
Old December 11, 2000, 12:23   #13
MrFun
Emperor

I have an idea of a possible map or scenario that I'm thinking of creating next.

late 19th century through first half of 20th century Africa - the European imperial powers race to divide the African continent for themselves

This would include African states who have a chance in fighting to keep their independence and perhaps change history.

What does anyone think - good idea, or forget it?
Old December 11, 2000, 15:04   #14
OmniGod
Prince

A map of europe and africa ia a great idea and the scenario actually sounds pretty good... too bad you couldn't start the europeans with cities, and units and have the africans in huts... patch?? But I was thinking about a euro/africa map the other day scaled, and detailed... but if you're going to do it... then I won't bother... good luck...

Omni
Old December 12, 2000, 03:26   #15
Semjaza
Settler

MrFun,

Being an ex-South African myself, I think doing a European/African map would be really great! BTW, why does Activision (and I believe in the other Civ games too, if my memory serves me well) insist on using tribe names as opposed to real city names? I noticed this with both the Native Americans and the Zulus. I would love to see a map/scenario done of South Africa and the struggles between the British/Dutch/German/French and the many African tribes they ran into during colonization. I also would love to see a map/scenario in a similar vein done ro reflect the Americans/Mexicans and the Native American Indians. I just don't know if there is much interest in these two areas.

Just my 2 cents...

------------------
Just another Civ Addict
Old December 12, 2000, 18:27   #16
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I am quite impressed with the North America map. I am in the 1700's and have noticed no problems with the map. There is only one thing I am confused about: Why do the Russians start in Alaska? I know they settled Alaska, but their capital, Moscow, and most of their empire was not there. Plus, their really annoying me, the Native Americans.

Other than that, I really like it!

Jonny
Old December 12, 2000, 19:42   #17
phenyl
Settler

a african colonization map would be the one of the best ideas if the game play would support it. you would problaby have to package it with some sort of modification to distances from empire and things like that (for revolts, etc..)

but geography-wise a europe to africa colonization map would be very good to play because of th variety of terrain and difficulties in transport. i dont know about the end game though. ??
Old December 13, 2000, 00:32   #18
MrFun
Emperor

I am going to begin background reading and researching for a historical fiction novel that I will begin writing next year during my break between semesters at my university.

However, I WILL take time out to make this map since there seems to be some interest in it. I look forward to tackling it.

I will make this map size more vertical than in width for this Europe and Africa map. But it won't be too exaggerated in height compared to width.
Old December 13, 2000, 05:21   #19
Semjaza
Settler

Jonny wrote:

>There is only one thing I am confused about: Why do >the Russians start in Alaska? I know they settled >Alaska, but their capital, Moscow, and most of their >empire was not there. Plus, their really annoying me, >the Native Americans.

Personally, I feel by throwing in the Russians on the North American map makes it a lot more interesting. Thanx again, MrFun, for a great map!

------------------
Just another Civ Addict
Old December 13, 2000, 15:13   #20
MrFun
Emperor

The reason why I added Russia in this North America map and scenario is because I did not wish to add Maya or Aztec, since either of those two would have been placed too close to Mexico's starting point.

So, I thought - "what if Russia had developed a North American colonial empire in the NW?" Granted, this means that you'll see Russian city names as well as its capitol from the Old World on this map, but nothing is perfect.
Old December 15, 2000, 11:27   #21
MrFun
Emperor

Has anyone kicked ass in the North America map so far?