Old December 15, 2000, 20:05   #1
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Maximum size of maps...
Theoretically there should be no limit, but in play testing I have found (through work with Matte) that 210x210 is the maximum size that allows for the AI to create and use roads. A vital link for any civilization. The 3 number as pointed out by Scorpion has like it's predecessors been left behind and not implemented... it has no effect on the characteristics of the map... Saying that, now I have to redo a few maps... DAM... if anyone has found anything else that seems to go haywire when you increase the maps above 210x210 please let us know... I don't want to recreate maps over and over again... I've not checked palpatine's world map yet to see if it is also affected by the size issue. I would love to have found a solution other than shrinking map sizes but in a week of testing nothing has been shown... so, off to the editor to rework my map...

Omni - the unhappy editor
Old December 15, 2000, 21:46   #2
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:44
210 by 210 is okay by me. 9 times larger than the largest map Civ2 allowed, I believe. Anything larger and the game would get unwieldy for a variety of reasons, anyways. Either you're eventually managing a huge number of cities, or there's a huge number of civs. Either way, the program must move like a snail on most computers.

You sure it isn't 212 or 216 or something? Computer limits always seem to be non-even numbers like 32 or 128, and 210 sounds too even.

If you're only a few tiles over, perhaps you could just trim one of the sides and be okay. Maybe edit the text file map data is saved in for instance, if all else fails. Delete a few bottom rows and change the number at the start of the file. Just a thought.
Old December 15, 2000, 21:47   #3
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:44
double post
[This message has been edited by Harlan (edited December 15, 2000).]
Old December 15, 2000, 22:15   #4
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:44
I redid the map and it looks okay.. if you play the map you'll notice the change.. maybe I had to trim 30 tiles from the horizontal direction but it runs nicely and will be posted in 10 minutes... just one more quick test and it should be up... as for if it's 212...213...214... does it matter... I tested 215x215 and it didn't work thus it's between 210 and 215... if you care to find the exact value be my guest... 200 is good enough for me

Omni
Old December 16, 2000, 06:00   #5
Matte979
Warlord

Local Time: 09:44
That must be it I used 200 * 200.

Played it until 1600 AD yesterday everything seem to work nice. Also starting to mess with the AI again.

While working on the AI, I run into the problem that they can't have enough of units in the early middle game, musketeer etc because the support cost is to high. So I lowered the support cost of some of the middle units.
The AI have no problem building them I have given them a good production bonus. But to bad they can't upkeep them all. Seems I solved the problem with a lot of old units by changing the obosolete techs they seem to disband units when they are obsolete. Before some of the units didn't get obsolete until very late. Changed that and looks good.

When I have a fullscale computer attack I will let you all know because thats my goal. I am starting to think its a mixture of the strategy file, goals and number of units. They have a lot of units in the start of the game and if I change the attack /siege goal they attack, but one more thing they are chosing only the enemy they dislike most. Usually thats the other computer player. Needs to fix that.

Have to check the regard costs seems they dislike each other a bit to easy, will try to identify and change regard costs. or wait for activision to release a patch for the diplomacy whatever comes first.

/Mathias

[This message has been edited by Matte979 (edited December 16, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Matte979 (edited December 16, 2000).]