Old December 20, 2000, 01:17   #1
SirBradleyG
Settler

Local Time: 09:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Trouble With Advances

I've just started working on a modification for CPT2, however, I am having trouble adding advances to my game. I entered an Advance structure into Advance.txt and entered an icon variable to Advanceicon.txt, incrementing the number at the top of the page. I also placed an entry in gl_str.txt. Still I am getting a database error that tells me that that it cannot find my ICON_ADVANCE variable in the icon database. I checked the spelling of the reference in advance.txt and advanceicon.txt. They were both the same. So I'm stumped and my modification project is haulted.

If anyone knows the solution to this problem, please key me in.
Old December 20, 2000, 02:02   #2
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:45
Post the lines you added, it's probably something small and probably dumb... I've been there... Well apparently you got the answer... and now I know that all advances go into uniticon.txt.... interesting... another thing activision forgot or hasnt' mentioned sofar... any docs soon?

Omni
[This message has been edited by OmniGod (edited December 20, 2000).]
Old December 20, 2000, 21:35   #3
SirBradleyG
Settler

Local Time: 09:45
quote:

Originally posted by OmniGod on 12-20-2000 01:02 AM
Post the lines you added, it's probably something small and probably dumb... I've been there... Well apparently you got the answer... and now I know that all advances go into uniticon.txt.... interesting... another thing activision forgot or hasnt' mentioned sofar... any docs soon?

Omni
[This message has been edited by OmniGod (edited December 20, 2000).]

I didn't know that either. So does that mean advanceicon.txt is no longer needed or are entries required in both text files? That would be redundant.
Old December 20, 2000, 22:44   #4
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:45
I've had the same trouble. I'm adding new wonders, units, buildings, and techs to the Alexander scenario, and the only way I've been able to do this so far is rename existing ones. That's fine for my purposes, but may not work for other people. There's probably a file or two that needs changing, that hasn't been changed. No obvious candidates that I can see, if you've change the Great_Library.txt and glstr.txt too. It could be one needs to edit the files in the aidata folder too. For instance, there is a file called AdvanceLists.txt there, listing the priority of techs for each personality type. Could it be that if a tech isn't mentioned at all there, it will cause an error?

Otherwise, Activision, help!

Also, it seems obvious that all the files ending with icon.txt aren't functional, since all that stuff is now in the uniticon.txt. If you look closely at a file like advanceicon.txt, you'll notice that all the info corresponds to CTP1 (CTP1 techs, not CTP2's). There could be useless text files scattered all over the place.