Old November 30, 2000, 09:12   #121
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I was going to let the early spy be used for all the sueing until the other units came along.

A few notes:
1)How are the pollution settings? About right, too low?
2)Does anyone want to re-insert the Subneural Ad? I never used it, preferring to build offensive units at that stage of the game, but some people have called for it in other threads.
3)Is the Nanite Factory unbalancing?

In looking through the DiffDB, I noticed some new flags; max ahead, min ahead and max behind and min behind. They appear to be aimed at working like Gedrin's Disseminate triggers that I put into the Med mod I. I am glad to see them in there. They should help keep the AIs from getting either too far ahead or behind the human.

In the units text, there are a couple of new flags; IsMounted and Explodes. I don't know what the IsMounted does, but the Explodes gives the unit's bombard attack what was called 'splatter damage' in Warcraft. I thought that I had seen evidence of this playing the game, and finding this flag proves it. Another improvement, as far as I'm concerned.

Finally, here is a paste of the new unit build lists. I feel pretty good about this arrangement.

# 13

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SPECIAL {
Unit UNIT_DIPLOMAT
Unit UNIT_SLAVER
Unit UNIT_ABOLITIONIST
Unit UNIT_CLERIC
Unit UNIT_SPY
Unit UNIT_LAWYER
Unit UNIT_CORPORATE_BRANCH
Unit UNIT_TELEVANGELIST
Unit UNIT_EMPATHIC_DIPLOMAT
Unit UNIT_NUKE
Unit UNIT_CYBER_NINJA
Unit UNIT_INFECTOR
Unit UNIT_ECO_TERRORIST
Unit UNIT_ECO_RANGER
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SPECIAL_PEACEFUL {
Unit UNIT_DIPLOMAT
Unit UNIT_ABOLITIONIST
Unit UNIT_CLERIC
Unit UNIT_NUKE
Unit UNIT_LAWYER
Unit UNIT_TELEVANGELIST
Unit UNIT_EMPATHIC_DIPLOMAT
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SPECIAL_MILITARIST {
Unit UNIT_SLAVER
Unit UNIT_SPY
Unit UNIT_LAWYER
Unit UNIT_CYBER_NINJA
Unit UNIT_NUKE
Unit UNIT_INFECTOR
Unit UNIT_ECO_TERRORIST
Unit UNIT_ECO_RANGER
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SPECIAL_NUCLEAR {
Unit UNIT_NUKE
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_LAND_SETTLER {
Unit UNIT_SETTLER
Unit UNIT_URBAN_PLANNER
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SEA_SETTLER {
Unit UNIT_SEA_ENGINEER
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SCOUT {
Unit UNIT_SPY_PLANE
Unit UNIT_SCOUT_SUB
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_DEFENSE {
Unit UNIT_SPEARMAN
Unit UNIT_HOPLITE
Unit UNIT_PIKEMEN
Unit UNIT_MUSKETEER
Unit UNIT_INFANTRYMAN
Unit UNIT_MACHINE_GUNNER
Unit UNIT_PLASMATICA
Unit UNIT_LEVIATHON
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_OFFENSE {
Unit UNIT_WARRIOR
Unit UNIT_SWORDSMAN
Unit UNIT_MAN_AT_ARMS
Unit UNIT_SAMURAI
Unit UNIT_MUSKETEER
Unit UNIT_INFANTRYMAN
Unit UNIT_FASCIST
Unit UNIT_HOVER_INFANTRY
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_RANGED {
Unit UNIT_SLINGER
Unit UNIT_ARCHER
Unit UNIT_CATAPULT
Unit UNIT_CULVERIN
Unit UNIT_CANNON
Unit UNIT_ARTILLERY
Unit UNIT_FUSION_TANK
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_MOUNTED_RANGED {
Unit UNIT_JAVELINEER
Unit UNIT_MOUNTED_ARCHER
Unit UNIT_HORSE_ARCHER
Unit UNIT_SELF_PROP_GUN
Unit UNIT_WAR_WALKER
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_MOUNTED_FLANKER {
Unit UNIT_LIGHT_CAVALRY
Unit UNIT_HEAVY_CAVALRY
Unit UNIT_KNIGHT
Unit UNIT_DRAGOON
Unit UNIT_CAVALRY
Unit UNIT_TANK
Unit UNIT_HOVERTANK

}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_MARINE {
Unit UNIT_MARINE
Unit UNIT_STORM_MARINE
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_PARATROOPER {
Unit UNIT_PARATROOPER
Unit UNIT_SWARM
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_ANTI_AIR {
Unit UNIT_MOBILE_SAM

}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SEA_TRANSPORT {
Unit UNIT_CATAMARAN
Unit UNIT_GALLEON
Unit UNIT_TROOP_SHIP
Unit UNIT_CRAWLER
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_NAVAL_ATTACK {
Unit UNIT_FIRE_TRIREME
Unit UNIT_CARRACK
Unit UNIT_SHIP_OF_THE_LINE
Unit UNIT_IRONCLAD
Unit UNIT_DESTROYER
Unit UNIT_BATTLESHIP
Unit UNIT_PLASMA_DESTROYER
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_NAVAL_DEFENSE {
Unit UNIT_LONGSHIP
Unit UNIT_MONITOR
Unit UNIT_PT_BOAT
Unit UNIT_FRIGATE
Unit UNIT_MISSILE_CRUISER
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SUBMARINES {
Unit UNIT_SUBMARINE
Unit UNIT_NUCLEAR_SUBMARINE
Unit UNIT_MOREY_STRIKER
Unit UNIT_KRAKEN
Unit UNIT_DREADNAUGHT
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_AIR_ATTACK {
Unit UNIT_DIVE_BOMBER
Unit UNIT_ATTACK_HELICOPTER
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_AIR_DEFENSE {
Unit UNIT_FIGHTER
Unit UNIT_INTERCEPTOR
Unit UNIT_STEALTH_FIGHTER
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_BOMBER {
Unit UNIT_BOMBER
Unit UNIT_JET_BOMBER
Unit UNIT_STEALTH_BOMBER
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_AIR_TRANSPORT {
Unit UNIT_CARGO_HELICOPTER
Unit UNIT_AIRCRAFT_CARRIER
Unit UNIT_SPACE_PLANE
}

UNIT_BUILD_LIST_FREIGHT {
Unit UNIT_CARAVAN
Unit UNIT_Z_FREIGHT_TRANSPORT
}
Old November 30, 2000, 14:05   #122
skorpion59
Prince

Wes,

Looking good so far but playtesting will be the ultimate test. (Fondly remembering the many MONTHS spent playtesting all the mods). Of course, since I still have no copy at all of CtP2, I am going to have to sit this one out for a while. (Maybe Mr. Ogre can go down on his lunch hour and put the copies in the mail). Just seems a little ironic that none of the CtP1 mod/CtP2 beta people, who are in the best position to answer questions and stiple all this insane negativity/problems, have no copies.

One question though, what if you replaced some of the special units in the 'Special Lists' with offensive units? I for one, would rather have more offensive units than special units? From your experience, do you think this would give more offensive punch to the AI or just mess up the game balance.
Old November 30, 2000, 14:58   #123
Paulypav
Warlord

Local Time: 09:46
Wes,

I've noticed in one of the other threads that there seems to be a problem building fusion plants due to the Nanite Defuser. The Nanite Defuser destroys all nukes including nuclear plants, however the nuclear plant is a prerequisite for building the fusion plant. Therefore, once the Nanite Defuser has been built Fusion Plants are unable to be built.

First, and anyone can answer this. Would this be a glitch or is the Fusion Plant a quasi-nuclear energy source that would not be buildable with the Nanite Defuser.

Second, if this is a glitch, is it possible to modify the code so that the Fusion Plant is not dependant upon building the Nuclear Plant

------------------
“The American people have now spoken, but it’s going to take a little while to determine exactly what
they said.” — President Clinton
Old November 30, 2000, 15:01   #124
Metamorph
Warlord

It's Deja Vu all over again...

Are you interested in hearing some suggestions and ideas for altering the economic model to one which is, uh, better? Less conducive to cheese, more challenging in higher difficulties and harsh terrain, and so forth?

My, how this all sounds familiar, just like old times... Sigh...

- Metamorph
Old November 30, 2000, 21:54   #125
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

To answer Adam's question about bombardment: yes, that is exactly what I mean.

As for the Legion, I plan to use that as a special wonder-enabled unit. I have a list of these units on page one of this thread.

For multiplayer, all players have to be using the exact same files, but if they are, they can play together. From what I hear, the Med mod 4 is quite popular with multiplayers. I even had one guy write in to complain that he liked to play with the original settings, but that it was hard to find partners who didn't use the Med mod.

Hi, Don. Nice to see you back on the boards.
I forgot to insert the Noble and Spy into the special unit lists. I haven't really looked at them yet.
In Ctp2, you set the unit-types built as a percentage of the total number. It is not city-based like Ctp1. Thus, you can set special units as, say, 2% of the total, or whatever you want.

As far as play-testing, I hope that between our Ctp1 experience and the refinement of Ctp2 over Ctp1, that play-testing will be measured in a few weeks rather than months, at least for the basic version of the game. Then we can play with all the slic stuff I am sure the gee..., ah, guys here will come up with.

Metamorph, I read you thread with interest. If you have some specific proposals, I would be very interested in hearing them. You could post them here, or in your own thread, since that one seems to be concentrating on the topic of terrain and pop.

If I might suggest something: How about changing the settings for radius 1 so that each pop only collects one tile's worth of resources, rather than 8/6 th's, as it is currently? This would slow down early growth, and help address any ICS concerns people have.
It may be that this would be all that is needed, so that we wouldn't have to get into changing terrain values and improvement effects and all that.

Btw, can someone explain to me why improvements' costs increase at a much faster rate than their benefits as you move from basic to advanced improvement types?
For example, farms cost 200 for a benefit of 10 food, while hydro farms cost 1,400 for a benefit of 30.
Old November 30, 2000, 22:13   #126
colorme
Warlord

Wes,

Regarding the farms, this is probably better, because you don't want a slightly advanced player to run away with the game (which is what a proportional increase with advancements would do).
Old December 1, 2000, 01:45   #127
ajbera
Prince

I assume, then, that one unit bombarding a stack would (pre-explodes) just hurt a single unit, but with 'splash damage' has the potential to hurt others in the bombarded stack? If so, this is an improvement.

Question, Wes: why maintain the Samurai instead of changing over to the Legion? Or at least why not add the Legion to the new units? I'm not criticizing; I'm just curious. My personal preference is for the Legion, so I'll probably rename it and swap sprites when I get the game.

Another question: can two (or more) people using the same mods play multiplayer together? Or will these changes only be valid for single-player games? Given the anticipated improvements in the AI, single-player won't be bad, but I'm sure many will wish to play the modified version with other humans.

Keep up the great work, Wes.
Old December 1, 2000, 09:22   #128
Dragonfly
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:46
I have only been playing the game for a week now, but I noticed a lot of things that were out of whack, and I look forward to the new med mod with great anticipation.

My $0.02 - It take too long to get to Monarchy. Maybe an intermediate government type ?

Love the idea of the refugee trigger - can anything be done about re-apportioning slaves. Seems my front line cities get huge, but my capitol gets none.

Really liked the idea of Railroad increasing food through re-apportionment. Could something be done with creating a "hidden" building (say "Depot"), giving it a +10% food, and give all cities the building upon the Civ's reaching Railroad tech? Just a thought.

Go, go, go !
Old December 1, 2000, 21:12   #129
Dragonfly
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:46
Thanks for the tip on how to get slaves to go where you want. I had forgotten about this. It was in CtpI I believe, and I have used it. Just forgot the strategy. Thanx again, and now I'm off to enslave the americans.
Old December 1, 2000, 22:10   #130
Matte979
Warlord

One commect about the numbers for special units.

If you put these at 1 the AI will only build max 1?

Wont that be to few? 1 transport.

Played around with the goal and strategy files myself to see if i could get the AI to attack more. I had som limited success. Seems there are a few factors that needs to be tweaked. First the priority of the attacking GOALs Then how many to consider i beafed these up to alot then tweaking max executed aswell.

Also I beleive the factors how to judge if attack strength is enough in strategy.txt need to be lowered somewhat i lowered all of them to only need 10% of the army attaked strength, seems now the computer players attacks everything . Its better than before but probly just should lower them a little bit. Just to get the swarm attack.

Going to implement some of your stuff tomorrow and try to tweak the AI just by changing strategy and goals to see what the affect will be on AI behaviour.
Old December 1, 2000, 23:16   #131
colorme
Warlord

Matte,

If you keep those attack ratios so low, won't the AI NOT attack in force then (because basically any unit it has will be enough to attack)?
Old December 2, 2000, 01:35   #132
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Slaves will only be sent to a city if there are troops enough there to suppress them. Therefore, you could move troops out of cities that you didn't want slaves sent to right before you attacked.

As for the food, I would like for you to be able to build food caravans, which I thought were supposed to be included in Ctp2. There may be a problem with getting the AIs to use this, though.

I finished the unit build queues in the strategies.txt today, and this is what the default setting looks like.

// Number of special units that should be built
SettlerUnitsCount 1
SeaTransportUnitsCount 1
AirTransportUnitsCount 1
SpecialUnitsCount 1
ScoutUnitsCount 2

// Types of special units that should be built
SettlerUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_LAND_SETTLER
SeaTransportUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SEA_TRANSPORT
AirTransportUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_AIR_TRANSPORT
SpecialUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SPECIAL
FreightUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_FREIGHT
ScoutUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SCOUT

// maximum percent of conventional units to build before building
// special units of specified type
BuildTransportProductionLevel 0.25
BuildSettlerProductionLevel 0.25
BuildScoutProductionLevel 0.15

// Unit Percents must total to 1 (100%)
DefensiveUnitsPercent 0.10
OffensiveUnitsPercent 0.10
RangedUnitsPercent 0.15
MtdRangedUnitsPercent 0.10
MtdFlankUnitsPercent 0.10
MarineUnitsPercent 0.02
ParatroopUnitsPercent 0.01
AntiAirUnitsPercent 0.10
NavalAttUnitsPercent 0.07
NavalDefUnitsPercent 0.07
SubmarineUnitsPercent 0.06
AirAttackUnitsPercent 0.02
AirDefUnitsPercent 0.07
BomberUnitsPercent 0.03

// Types of standard units that should be built
DefensiveUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_DEFENSE
OffensiveUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_OFFENSE
RangedUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_RANGED
MtdRangedUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_MOUNTED_RANGED
MtdFlankUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_MOUNTED_FLANKER
MarineeUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_MARINE
ParatroopUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_PARATROOPER
AntiAirUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_ANTI_AIR
NavalAttUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_NAVAL_ATTACK
NavalDefUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_NAVAL_DEFENSE
SubmarineUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_SUBMARINES
AirAttackUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_AIR_ATTACK
AirDefenseUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_AIR_DEFENSE
BomberUnitList UNIT_BUILD_LIST_BOMBER

This stuff always looks so nice and neat when you are posting it. Anyway, you need to review the previous post listing the specific units in the build queues for this to make complete sense. The defense units are set low because I assume the militia triggers will be active in the mod. Also, I assume that when the tech isn't available to activate some of the lists, like airattack, that the AIs divide up the unit percentages among those queues that are active.
Old December 2, 2000, 05:58   #133
Matte979
Warlord

Yes exactly. That was what happened. The main problem i seem to have is that the grouping of units to armies don't seemt to work that well. Not sure why. because sometimes they group armies. Maybe some of the units get other goals so they can't group i am not sure. Going to mess around with it this weekend and report what i find.

There also seem to be a number issue here. Alot of units mean more armies so the theory above might be right.

/Mathias
Old December 2, 2000, 14:02   #134
colorme
Warlord

Matte,

One thing I plan to do is to use SLIC to group units and see if that helps. If you look at the various scenario files, you'll see some commands that can be used, such as
getarmyfromunit() and grouporder().

Unfortunately, since the SLIC documentation is not out yet, it's unclear what parameters some of the useful commands may need, such as moveorder().

So, theoretically, one could select good units for the AI (using SLIC), get them to move to a particular location, group them into armies, and make them attack opponent's city.

One problem I see with this approach is that the dumb AI might decide to over-ride some of these commands you program. If it doesn't, then you could see massive attacks taking place, due to above program!!

Similarly, the empty transport problem could be solved
using SLIC. Get the AI to board units into the transport, protect the transport with warships and move them to the right unloading location.

Bottom-line: Let's wait for the SLIC documentation, and we might see some good mods.
Old December 2, 2000, 17:28   #135
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Well, my copy of the game arrived yesterday, so I have been able to actually try and see if the Med mod II will load. I have gotten re-aquainted with how frustrating mod-making can be sometimes. For those of you planning on playing with the strategies.txt: don't use the new unit categories; they don't work. See my Help needed! thread for details. This really needs to be addressed, as it will hamstring any efforts to get the AIs to build effective armies if we can't increase the number of categories from the current 5.
Also, all that time I spent re-arranging the const.txt was wasted. The flags in it are hard-coded into their respective lines, and the game crashes if they are moved.
Anyway, here is a listing on my speific changes to the const.txt:

Empire sliders work correctly now.

PERCENT_RIVER 15 # percent of land with a river on it ( was 5 )
RIVER_CELL_WIDTH 4 # Size of cells to be searched for river starts ( was 5 )
PARADROP_DISTANCE 10 # how far away can paratroopers drop? ( was 20 )
PARADROP_SUCCESS_PERCENT 75 # a miss results in a drop to a neighboring square (was 100)
ASSAULT_DESTROY_BUILDING_CHANCE 1.0 # chance of an assault on a city destroying a building ( was .1 )
BOMBARD_DESTROY_BUILDING_CHANCE 0.4 # chance of a bombardment on a city destroying a building ( was .1 )
COMBAT_VETERAN_CHANCE 0.25 ( was .1 )
MAX_REQUESTS_PER_PLAYER_PER_TURN 4 ( was 3 )
SLAVES_PER_MILITARY_UNIT 2 ( was 3 )
FLOOD_CHANGES_COAST_TO_WATER_CHANCE 0.1 ( was .5 )

AI_GOAL_TIME_SLICE 125 # time in milliseconds for an AI frame
AI_MAX_TIME_SLICE 1250 # (in milliseconds)if the ai exceeds this time its turn is ended
AI_TOTAL_TIME_SLICE 15000 # (in milliseconds) if the total time in time in the ai player exceeds this its turn is ended
(These settings were increased by a factor of 5.)

I also tried to correct the Television improvement, which is unbalancing with its current settings. I changed it to give 3 gold per size, and to have 45 upkeep. This means that a city has to be size 15 before Television can turn a profit, and from then on it gives three gold per size.

I was contacted by Harlan last night about his graphics mod, so hopefully he will have that straightened out and back to me soon. When he does, I think I will post the first alpha (everything is too rudimentary to even be a beta at this point). I am able to get the scenario to load and work, as long as you don't choose a civ which uses one of Harlan's new city types. All the new units will come up, the only problem being having no pics for the Ctp1 units I am using.
Next I will work on the unit abilities and availabilites, to try and get them somewhere reasonable within the current tech chart.
[This message has been edited by WesW (edited December 02, 2000).]
Old December 2, 2000, 20:43   #136
lev
Warlord

Hey Wes -

Do you have a renaissance-era special-forces unit?

Considering the importance of mercenaries in renaissance Italy, I think a "Condottieri" unit would be a great idea. You could use the old Pikeman sprite (or the new one, and use the old one for Pikemen).

I would make Pikemen a primarily defensive unit, and give the Condottieri similar stats but better offense.
Old December 3, 2000, 09:07   #137
Depp
Prince

Wes, make farms worth while. Drop the food production in most squares so farm become important. Now any city that has a few sea squares (even if the rest is glacier) can reach max size, which is totally wrong. Those kind of conditions can´s sutain that population until the modern days (hence the best farms)
Old December 3, 2000, 15:46   #138
MarkG

Title: The Impossible Maps v0.1

Description: Official and Unofficial maps on Impossible difficulty level

Included maps:

- Samurai
The map from the Samurai scenario, with random civs on impossible difficulty level

- 6 Continents
A (not official) random map that looked nice to me...

- Small and Agressive
Command the Greeks against 7 agrresive civilizations on a small map

- The Craddle of Civilization
The Mediterranean Sea, made by hexagonian. Civs: Greece, Rome, Egypt, Persia, Assyria, Phoenicia, Israel, Zulu

Download from: http://apolyton.net/ctp2/downloads/maps/Impossible.zip

Notes:

1) It's far from complete, i'm posting this basically to show that you CAN offer a selection of civs in the start(see the Craddle map)

2) I'm sure that at least the Craddle map works as it is supposed to. The others I havent touched for a week and i'm not if there any problems with them...

Old December 3, 2000, 15:46   #139
MarkG

Included maps:

- Samurai
The map from the Samurai scenario, with random civs on impossible difficulty level

- 6 Continents

- Small and Agressive

The Mediterranean Sea, made by hexagonian. Civs: Greece, Rome, Egypt, Persia, Assyria, Phoenicia, Israel, Zulu

Notes:

1) It's far from complete, i'm posting this basically to show that you CAN offer a selection of civs in the start(see the Craddle map)

2) I'm sure that at least the Craddle map works as it is supposed to. The others I havent touched for a week and i'm not if there any problems with them...

Old December 3, 2000, 15:46   #140
MarkG

Included maps:

- Samurai

- 6 Continents

- Small and Agressive

Notes:

Old December 4, 2000, 08:39   #141
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:46
Wes,
I almost finished testing the militia code and wonder-enabling units code, I think both work properly now, so just email me the info I need to finish things up and I will (what units & advances & size sizes for the militia, what wonders & units for the wonder code).

So one of these days I'll start working on the 4th event: the unit repair thing. Before I do that however, I'd like to know if you (or anyone else for that matter) knows if there's any kind of code on this in the text files anywhere: how fast units 'regenerate' in the field, a swith to turn off the instant-healing in cities, anything else related. Having such info would make things sooo much easier for me.
Old December 4, 2000, 08:57   #142
skorpion59
Prince

This is great, I will check it out.

You know if I spend enough time learning CtP2, by the time I am done, all the map work will be done.

On a more serious side, which of the Start Location options did you use on the cradle map. It would help in finding out what works and what doesn't work when creating map scenarios.

BTW, loved your readme file that came with it.
Old December 4, 2000, 08:57   #143
skorpion59
Prince

You know if I spend enough time learning CtP2, by the time I am done, all the map work will be done.

On a more serious side, which of the Start Location options did you use on the cradle map. It would help in finding out what works and what doesn't work when creating map scenarios.

Old December 4, 2000, 08:57   #144
skorpion59
Prince

Old December 4, 2000, 16:47   #145
colorme
Warlord

Hee Hee, one can even have a medical unit that increases the rate of healing in the field
Will be useful for large stacks.
Old December 4, 2000, 16:53   #146
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 04:46
Wes,

I do not think this will be a problem, but am asking anyhow.

Will it be possible to load maps that have been recently been created in the default CTP2 game (minus the goods) into MedMod2?

The main reason is that I am hoping to be able to use the goods Nordicus implemented and the adjusted terrain settings that you created. If these different terrain settings cause game crashes, then I will probably be holding off on map creation until your mod is released.
Old December 4, 2000, 18:25   #147
Matte979
Warlord

These two are in the const file.

CITY_HEAL_RATE 1.0
NORMAL_HEAL_RATE 0.1
Old December 4, 2000, 22:19   #148
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Here is the bulk of an email I sent to Locutus, Gedrin, and some other interested people this evening. This was obviously before I read Wouter's post above. The mod just keeps looking better. The only thing that concerns me is the unit categories limitation I mentioned earlier.

I think that you both know that I want to use the militia and refugee triggers in the Med mod II. I also want to try out a partisan trigger in the mod as well. I want it to share characteristics of both of the aforementioned triggers.
I want the number of Partisans created to be based upon city size, like the refugee trigger. I think 1 Partisan per 6 pop would be about right. I also want the units created to be based upon the technology of the civ., like the militia trigger. To represent the fact that these Partisans would be less powerful than regular army troops, I want them to be the defensive unit of the age prior to the one the civ is currently in. This way, we will not have to create new units and/or sprites for this trigger. The trigger will only activate when the civ either has a certain tech, or is under certain govt.'s, I haven't decided on that yet. Also, the trigger will only activate if the conquest distress in the city is zero. This way, if you re-take a city you just lost, you will not have to fight your own citizens.

I would like for you two to work together on this, if possible, since you both have experience with different aspects of the components of the trigger. Darryl may have done some work on such a trigger already, so I am going to send a copy of this to him as well. I think he will be active in slic work on Ctp2 as well, so I might as well try and get you guys talking regularly. If anyone else wants to comment or get involved, well that's why I am sending you copies as well.

On another topic, Wouter, have you done any work on the trigger to make it cost production to heal units in cities? (The production would come from the public works stockpile.) Having spent the weekend playing the Alexander scenario, which is awesome btw, I really realize how this trigger would revolutionize warfare campaigns in the game. I think this trigger would be a bigger boost to the game than the militia trigger. I mean, this would really separate Ctp from the Sid games in an important way, a way as significant as the public works concept and stacked combat, imo. Right now, I think 75% of the original cost per percent seems about right. I am also going to increase the chance of becoming a veteran to about 30%. This would make Ctp a lot like the Panzer General series in this regard, an aspect of reality in which I think that game did an excellent job emulating.

Btw, Gedrin, did you see my post in the Med mod II thread where there are flags in the DiffDB designed to do what your disseminate trigger does?

Finally, I had a moment of inspiration myself today. (Either that, or I finally saw something that has been staring me in the face for a year now.) I have been wanting for some Improvements' upkeep cost to be based upon city size. Well, the necessary flag has been there all along; the Television's gold-per-citizen flag. I inserted that flag into the Improvements that I wanted- gold, science, production and food, and gave it a negative value (I eliminated the set upkeep cost for these improvements). This is another thing that is going to have a significant effect on the game, and make it much more realistic. (New York City's library system costs the same as that of a small town under the current system, but obviously gives a much greater benefit.) Since the value has to be an integer, I may have to increase the effect of gold improvements to compensate, but I think this new way of figuring costs is going to be a real improvement to the game.
Old December 5, 2000, 05:31   #149
skorpion59
Prince

Hex,

Yes, you can add any map to the Med Mod provided it only uses default (or Med Mod) items.
Old December 5, 2000, 08:00   #150
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:46
Thanks Matte979 (though a little late since Wes already emailed me all the info I need ).

(BTW, for those who don't know it yet, I'm Wouter )

------------------
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." - Nathaniel Borenstein