Old January 1, 2001, 09:26   #1
Dan PDX
Settler

Local Time: 09:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New Advance Graphics
Can someone help?

I just added Mining to CTP2. To test how things work I added only what I had to for now.

I used the new PaintShop Pro 7.0 to save the JPG file as a TGA

I added the info to uniticon.txt that I needed to have the art for Mining. I tried placing the file in several places, however they gave me a shaded backgound matching the background of the text to the right.

When I tried to copy it to ...\ctp_data\english\graphics\pictures I got a Black Background. Why?

Everything works but the picture
Old January 1, 2001, 18:56   #2
Dan PDX
Settler

I had just posted this morning that I could not see the art for the new advances that I added. I was using harln's art from another forum that I had saved as a jpg. Then I went to look for a good Astronomy file so I decided to use his Apollo file, just to see what happened. Maybe his files were saved differently.

I wanted to use the paintbrush to paint black in the center and write some text on it to see how the "First Frame" and "Icon" files were different.

When I chose a color and tried to draw the program stoped me and said something like I could not use that tool, that the tool required a non null background.

I used the dropper to pick a color from the mining graphic from the forum and chose a weird brown.

When I painted that into the Apollo picture it let me put it in. Then I added text to say "ICON" and "FIRST FRAME" and saved them with different names.

When I went to save them they told me that because of a restriction on the type of file that something about only 1 alpha layer would be saved.

I Thought that was interesting so I let it do it because he says something about alpha layers in his older unitcreation zip for CTP1.

This new picture shows up partly!

What's the secret for getting the pictures to show up all the way, and not be a big black block in the Great Library?
Old January 1, 2001, 18:58   #3
Dan PDX
Settler

Also it might have said foreground I forget.. Sorry
Old January 1, 2001, 19:58   #4
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:47
Dan,
Your problem is you're using a .jpg file. The only kind of file you can use is a .tga, save at 16 bit. Soon I'll post a huge slew of artwork all saved in this format, so hold on.
Old January 2, 2001, 00:57   #5
Dan PDX
Settler

First thank you for the info that the file needs to be 16bit. I discovered that with your help you need to save them as a 160X120, 16bit, uncompressed TGA image.

Patience is a virtue... I will be happy to wait.

However I feel a little vindicated. With all due respect Sir, I feel that you did not even read what I had to say.

I said I saved the image I saw on the web as a JPG and used PaintShopPro 7.0 to save it as a TGA.

There are about 800 topics with 13,000 posts. I am sorry I did not see the information. I will be more careful.

I hope I can continue to ask questions and get some answers when I need them. TTYL