Old February 21, 2000, 00:15   #1
Vespasian
Settler

Local Time: 23:31
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Colonial Warfare?
Now I know that none of the savvy Civers here would ever let this happen in the first place, but suppose that the following happens:

You have founded some colonies on a far away landmass. Unfortunately, this landmass' majority belongs to another, very hostile foreign power. You keep the peace for a while, using the cities as trading outposts, not wanting to start a conflict for any number of reasons. All of the sudden, what you have dreaded for so long happens:a sneak attack.

Your intelligence indicates that your opponent has more than enough military force to annex your cities. Enemy units are in position to follow up on the initial attack. Your main cities are far enough away so that it is unsure whether or not you'd be able to get a large-enough relief force in time to fight off your enemy.

What would you do in this situation? Bite the bullet and try to discuss peace terms, hoping to get your revenge sometime down the line? Fight on to the bitter end, hoping to relieve your cities in time or at least cause as much damage as possible? Or sell off your improvements, pack up your units and abandon your cities entirely?

Vespasian
Old February 21, 2000, 01:46   #2
Black Bart

I can only remember a couple of situations like this I was in. I'd recommend giving up 1 city (the closest to their territory). This will bring up peace talks. Then give in to the demands (although I'd never give away 'restricted' techs. I consider gunpowder, mobile warfare etc). This will allow time to reinforce. If you have mountains nearby you are in luck. Place a fortess and a veteran pikeman (I don't know what stage your at), and they will waste countless resources on that. While you build up your forces.

Old February 21, 2000, 01:48   #3
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 17:31
LOL I have actually been in this situation! I would definitly try to make peace, at least until I could get some reinforcements, but if you do not think you could trust the peace, would say sell off your units and improvements and try to disband the cities. If not, get out and hope that the barbs take em over. At least by moving out he wont' get any units or city improvements from you. also, I would take everyone out of the city in order to cause starvation and thus city shrinkage.
Old February 21, 2000, 06:32   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Assuming that you are fighting the AI, BlackBart has it right - offer them a preferential target - Vet Pikeman in fortress on Mountain - and laugh for the next thousand years.
If, however, this is MP - you're toast! Get out with as much dignity as possible.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old February 21, 2000, 09:11   #5
Sergeant Sheets
King

What the hell do you mean peace? This is the AI man. I'd have built cities in and around the AI's larger cities, slowly taking away land from his city radius till all his cities are worn down.

Anyhow, if you far flung colonies are in danger, here are a couple of things you can do:

1. Give'em one city, make peace. Then round up your forces and attack.

2. Don't sacrifice your pride, sell off the most expensive improvement in each city, and fight to the last unit. Rename the cities something derogatory, and recapture them later.
Old February 21, 2000, 11:53   #6
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:31
I go with the give them a tempting target bunch. Find a mountain square in one of his cities radius, and plop a strong defensive unit (or two to avoid bribes).

That will keep him busy
Old February 21, 2000, 12:19   #7
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:31
It'd depend what stage your at. If you have an airforce, a carrier (loaded of course) can provide temporary relief or an airport may help. but if you're in ancient times I'd just try to hold out and find a few nice defensable positions.
Old February 21, 2000, 12:50   #8
Bohlen
Prince

I say make peace now if you can. You need to pick your battles and this sounds like one you don't want to be in. No matter what happens, hit the hell out of them down the road, secure the island, and ensure nothing like that happens again. After that, destroy the backstabbers! What comes around, goes around!
Old February 21, 2000, 22:04   #9
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:31
well if they really had their heart set on war then war is what they would get.At least you are fighting on their landmass.You can send dips for sabotage.Pillage roads,mines,irrigation,seige specials.The longer you hold out,the more time and resources are drawn away from other things.

All this while peacefully developing back home

now when they show up on your shores......
Old February 21, 2000, 23:20   #10
geofelt
Prince

The AI will not talk to you about peace unless you take one of their cities, or you lose one of yours. If you must lose a city, I suggest leaving it intact. Later, it will cost you half price to bribe it back.
Old March 1, 2000, 16:56   #11
horseman
Settler

I don't get it. Does it cost half-price to bribe back because it used to be yours?
Old March 1, 2000, 17:14   #12
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 15:31
hman - yes 50% off sale! And that is an additional multiplier at the end of a calculation, so it will likely end up being less than 50% of what your opponent had to pay.
Old March 2, 2000, 16:14   #13
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 20:31
I agree with the mtn. buisness.

a diplomat may help if you have enough money, plus some good attack units inside each city(for bombing those stacks they make with 1-movement high attack units(cannon, etc with a musk) city walls and good defensive units should help.

------------------
Hodad's First Body
Alien Infiltrate
Old March 3, 2000, 06:29   #14
horseman
Settler

Thanks Sten! I didn't know about the bribe back to your own side being cheaper. Is it cheaper forever or does it go away after a while?
Old March 3, 2000, 07:17   #15
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

IIRC on another thread the concensus was that the half-price sale was restricted to cities that you founded yourself - it does not apply to cities that you once owned having acquired through conquest or bribery.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor