Old December 21, 2000, 22:47   #2
Backpack

Wowsers!
There certainly are alot of 'apparently' unused functions to play with. (grin)
Kudos n Thanks to whomever delivered these into Apolyton's / Mark's hands
BP

Old December 22, 2000, 02:50   #3
colorme
Warlord

Local Time: 09:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010

Great.

Quick questions:

1. In the diplomacy files, what is the format for the following functions:
ConsiderResponse()
ConsiderMotivation()
Also, what priority should I set, if I want the AI to make this proposal GUARANTEED?

2. I cannot make the event
MovePathOrder(army_t, location_t)
work. What gives?

3. How can I access a 'path' variable? What is its structure? e.g. I want to move a unit along a particular charted path (charted by the AI).

4. BTW, all variables are global? No local variables at all?
Old December 22, 2000, 02:58   #4
Backpack

umm reading the files I asked myself what to set for an auto acceptance by the AI. I think that 120 should do it... I mean really has the AI ever NOT accepted the gift of an advance (no strings attached)? NOt from me anyway and 120 is the setting for accept advance.
Later BP

Old December 22, 2000, 04:59   #5
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:50
Damn you Markos! Why did you have to post this right before I'm going on vacation? Now I know that they're online but I can't do anything with them for a whole week! Couldn't you have waited a few hours until I had actually left, at least I wouldn't have known what I was missing?

Oh well, at least I'll have something to read
Old December 22, 2000, 07:06   #6
MarkG

function LocutusForget()
   for i = 0 to count(alldocumentation)
     clear(Locutus.Memory.i)
   next
end function

Old December 22, 2000, 07:11   #7
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:50
Locutus,
I figured you'd be way jazzed about this!

The thing I don't understand though, is all the SLIC referring to things that weren't even implemented in CTP1. Stuff like leader assassinations. Throwing parties. Rustling. Nullifying walls. Can anyone at Activision let us know what works and what doesn't?

And if some of this works, does that mean some of the wonder, building and/or unit flags from CTP1 might work also?
Old December 22, 2000, 08:40   #8
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:50
This is great, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

And I do appreciate it BUT......

Once again we are left to figure out what is working and what isn't as well as what is correct and what isn't.

For example, the 24 terrain types are CtP1 terrain types, this doesn't do much good for CtP2. (Or was the SLIC not updated to handle the new terrain types, as well as the extra two, 25 & 26)?

Am I being Nit-Picky? Yes
Should I be grateful for what we got? Yes, I am.
Will the Apolyton CtP2'ers eventually figure it all out? Yes
Is it reasonable to think old or obsolete information should be left out of the game and documentation? YES!!!
Old December 22, 2000, 11:01   #9
marc420
Warlord

Say thanks to the people at Activision for me. And wish them a very, merry Christmas.

I'm very glad to see that they are moving forward on some of the post-release things that needed to be done. I just hope they keep at this long enough to turn this into a really good game.

And yes, some documentation on what "doesn't work" would be very nice. I can understand how taking this stuff out of game files would be a lower priority than making the game work. And since they are just starting to patch to get the Multi-player working, and still haven't got PBEM working, I guess they shouldn't be doing this low priority stuff yet.

But it would be nice to have a list of things that I shouldn't pay any attention to in the files. I got all excited when I saw the "CounterBombard" properties that I could put on units.
Old December 22, 2000, 15:32   #10
ajbera
Prince

Harlan,

It's possible that the "assassinate leader" trigger refers to the "hit" that the eco-terrorist performs. Even though it may not necessarily be the leader who has been whacked, I assume it's someone important enough to cause powerful unhappiness.

(In my CtP1 games I increase the happiness deduction for successful hits from -5 to -10 for a period of 2 turns: generally not enough to cause riots (unless the civ is already pretty damn miserable) but enough to throw them into a bit of shock. I just like assassinations.)
Old December 23, 2000, 00:58   #11
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Table one is inaccurate, or else they have a personality type mis-named in the game.
Militarist have a Discovery type of Military, not scientist.
The personality type Scientist should be listed in the table, unless they are the "default" personality.
Old December 23, 2000, 12:26   #12
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The parameters defined in the strategies.txt file are used to control almost every aspect of how an AI controls their empire and tasks their units. The details of what each parameter does has been described elsewhere; the purpose of this section is to explain how to change these parameters to customize the game

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have I missed something? Anybody know what "elsewhere" refers to? Or could it be something still in the pipeline?
Old December 24, 2000, 01:16   #13
colorme
Warlord

Seems like Mark is to put up the additional documentation about the database files.

However, the documentation for diplomacy and strategies (the functions, such as 'ConsiderDiplomaticState' I mean) is inadequate. I spent lots of time yestreday getting the diplomacy state changes to work, but kept getting SLIC compiler errors. Reason being that I was guessing what parameters the diplomacy functions use.
Old December 24, 2000, 14:22   #14
MarkG

i've got more documentation on the game files coming up
it's a lot of html editing, some will be posted today

Old December 24, 2000, 14:56   #15
MarkG

just posted

* Directory Structure
* AdvanceLists.txt
* BuildingBuildLists.txt
* BuildListSequences.txt
* Diplomacy.txt
* DiplomacyProposal.txt
* DiplomacyThreat.txt

Old December 24, 2000, 15:09   #16
skorpion59
Prince

Thanks for the update Markos and thanks for taking the time to HTMLify it for us.

It appears I might of spoken to early since they are at least listing some of the old, outdated files.

Thanks again Activision, this is the kind of stuff which will help out.

** EDIT **
I forgot to do a few minor things like XMas shop so I had to put off the rest of my planned step-by-step instructions in the "V1.1 and Scenarios" thread until I get that done. Before I pick it back up, do you have documentation regarding scenario development to post?? If you do, it would be kind of pointless for me to continue.

In fact, it would be nice if you could post a list of what all you have to post, then we would have a better idea of where we stand, what we will be getting and what we still need to do ourselves.

[This message has been edited by skorpion59 (edited December 24, 2000).]
Old December 24, 2000, 15:55   #17
colorme
Warlord

Great work Mark!

But for now, can you just put the raw files up there quickly, so we can take a shot at them? The wait for the HTMLized version is killing me

Dudes who want a cleaner version can wait for the HTML.
Old December 24, 2000, 18:17   #18
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by skorpion59 on 12-24-2000 02:09 PM
I forgot to do a few minor things like XMas shop so I had to put off the rest of my planned step-by-step instructions in the "V1.1 and Scenarios" thread until I get that done. Before I pick it back up, do you have documentation regarding scenario development to post?? If you do, it would be kind of pointless for me to continue.
no, all i've got left is similar to what i posted(for about 50 other game files )

Old December 24, 2000, 18:34   #19
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by colorme on 12-24-2000 02:55 PM
But for now, can you just put the raw files up there quickly, so we can take a shot at them? The wait for the HTMLized version is killing me
but this way you have the excitment of what i'll post the next day

Old December 27, 2000, 20:15   #20
MarkG

* Goals.txt
* ImprovementLists.txt
* Personalities.txt

Old December 28, 2000, 17:52   #21
MarkG

* Strategies.txt
* UnitBuildLists.txt
* WonderBuildLists.txt
* Advance.txt

Old January 12, 2001, 21:05   #22
MarkG

* Age.txt
* AgeCityStyle.txt
* Buildings.txt
* CitySize?.txt
* CityStyle.txt
* Civilisation.txt

Old January 13, 2001, 02:53   #23
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

I don't know how I missed the posting of the strategies.txt, but the documentation cleared up some questions for me, and got me to looking at some areas that I had not been paying attention to. I think I figured out why the AI has been doing some of the dumb things that people are reporting, and have made what I hope are the necessary corrections.

The recently posted buildings text also answered some questions I had regarding city defense improvements.

Posting this stuff is a great help to all of us, Mark.
Old January 13, 2001, 19:54   #24
MarkG

thanks for the kind words Wes
here is some more

* Colors00.txt
* Concept.txt
* Diplomacy.slc
* EndGameObjects.txt
* Feat.txt
* Feats.slc

Old January 17, 2001, 20:08   #25
MarkG