Old January 13, 2001, 00:20   #1
joe77
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
roads
its seems to be assumed that the computer goes to the strategies.txt file under "Roads utility bonus" to determine how much roadage to build...my question is what changes should I make to interest the computer in building more roads...its currently set at "200"..200 what ? is that 200% ? 200 tiles ? 200 flying purple whombats ? I must know!

some dude named Dale was tinkering with it and said he amde the changes and the ai doubled up all its roads...what value did you change that 200 to dale ??

anyone got any ideas ?

***update***

well I went in and changed all the roadutilitybonuses in strategy.txt to a value of 800...honestly..though the computer did build roads and doubled up a few...it didnt do it where it counts..near the city..and it didnt double up hardly ever...maybe a circut of 4 doubles once or twice every civilization

I'm going to set it back to 200 as I'm afriad of hidden side effects...the changes just were not worth the risk...

I'm having a conversation with my self here arnt I? weeee!
[This message has been edited by joe77 (edited January 13, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by joe77 (edited January 13, 2001).]
Old January 13, 2001, 22:06   #2
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

wheeeee. I haven't been online in over a week so i cant help you.F'g esat connection
just decided to join you in your exciting one person conversation to show you you are not forgotten.

------------------
" mind over body "
Old January 14, 2001, 01:29   #3
joe77
Chieftain

<--- summons up a harmonious(sp?) tune

"dont walk in front of me, as I may not follow...dont walk behind me, I may not lead...just walk beside me and be my friend and together we will work to get the AI on the mend.." heh
Old January 16, 2001, 02:51   #4
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:50
Joe:

I put the RoadUtilityBonus to 1000, and added roads to all the sections in ImprovementLists.txt. You'll see the proper code for roads under section roads. I put it in all the other sections (growth, production, etc) and like I said, it made a few more roads. My theory was that if the AI saw 'this' tile as a good growth tile it would build a farm and a road.

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 16, 2001, 04:49   #5
Floris O
Prince

Well, the AI seems to be very inconsequent about building roads. In one game one AI made tons of roads connecting at least all its cities, and another built only a few tiles of road. I guess you have to change numbres in every stratgey in strategy.txt
Old January 17, 2001, 19:06   #6
Weslow
Settler

Is it possible to make the computer build a road completely around each of their cities? Then all that they need is to connect the cities.
Old January 17, 2001, 20:35   #7
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:50
I suppose you could just use slic to tell the computer to build terrain improvements in every neighbour of the city. Then you'd get a road right around.

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."