Old January 15, 2001, 23:54   #1
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Annoyance
Ok, I think the chance rate for receiving a new city from Ruins is appalling! I get TOO MANY new cities!

So, I went to the risks.txt document under the Default/gamedata directory and deleted the following line under each Hut type: CITY_HUT_CHANCE

Guess what? It still happened. I want to eliminate the chance of receiving new cities altogether (Settlers, I will leave intact).

So what else am I missing or overlooking in eliminating the new city chance from the Ruins?

Thanks for any help guys.
Old January 16, 2001, 04:52   #2
Floris O
Prince

Local Time: 09:50
That is a strange story, but what use is it to delete the line when you keep the settler cahcne intact? If you get a city, simply disband it; you'll get a settler. Same thing.
Old January 16, 2001, 16:23   #3
MrFun
Emperor

Like I said - it's an annoyance - not a crisis. But yet, something that I would like to eliminate.

I ALWAYS prefer getting a new Settler from a Ruin rather than a new city.

The reason is that the annoyance comes from running out of city names after I disband a city, and the annoyance of burning an extra calorie and extra finger movement to actually disband the city.

So again - what other text or SLIC file am I missing? I already made the modifications in risks.txt to no avail. Thanks for any help.
Old January 17, 2001, 06:51   #4
Jerk
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:50
Have you tried changing the chance to 0.00 instead of just deleting the line alltogether? If that doesn't work I suppose it's possible to slic script something to prevent the new city from forming and then placing a settler down. Here is a semi-tested slic solution:
Code:
HandleEvent(CreateCity) 'GCreateTest' pre {
    if (value[0] == 2 && value[1] == -1) {
       CreateUnit(player[0], UnitDB(UNIT_SETTLER), location[0], 0);
       return STOP;
    }
}
Old January 17, 2001, 08:55   #5
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by MrFun on 01-15-2001 10:54 PM
So, I went to the risks.txt document under the Default/gamedata directory and deleted the following line under each Hut type: CITY_HUT_CHANCE
deleting the line is totally wrong. you should set it to 0

Old January 17, 2001, 11:51   #6
MrFun
Emperor

Hey thanks Jerk and Mark - but I honestly do not have blonde roots - honest!
Old January 17, 2001, 14:57   #7
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:50
if you are still getting cities then you arent playing the difficulty level that you think you are. I have the same problem. i only play on impossible with the nastiest barbarians so thats the only setting that I set to never get cities. WHen using cheat mode, it changes the setting to the easiest risk. No matter what I try, it doesnt always change back via the cheat menu. So if I stumble across a city, i'll look and sure enough I'll have no barbarians either. which means that even tho the setting says the most difficult risk, it isnt. If you start a new game at that point and look at the risk setting you'll see that it'll be on the easiest level. Appears to be a bug in the cheat menu. Thats why whenever possible i avoid the cheat menu now, or save the game a few turns before using it then completely exit the game and reload that turn. They musta figured that if we needed to cheat, then we couldnt handle the higher risk. Funny thing is that sometimes, it works perfectly, but mostly it doesnt. And this is a surprise..why?

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old January 17, 2001, 22:32   #8
MrFun
Emperor

I play at Medium.