Old January 17, 2001, 23:55   #1
kormer
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Call for playtesters!!!
Ok version 0.5 is done in my Dawn of the new Millenium scenario. In this version cities are less haphazardly thrown down, units have been added, technologies added, city improvements added, tile improvements added, even a few barbarian cities are in there. Go over to omnigods site and download it, then try to play a few nations aside from just your favorite so you can get a feel of game balance and such. Nations shouldn't be equally balanced, rather each should have strengths and weaknesses. Here's the readme as a teaser to read while I email omnigod with it...

Dawn of the New Millenium Scenario

Its the dawn of a new millenium.
America came out as the clear power of the 20th century, will it stay that way?
The nations of Europe have formed a loose orginization known as the European Union. Will you lead them to be the 21st century superpower, or will your misrule force the union to disband?
Russia was once a superpower, now they are a third world nation. How will you recover, by reverting to communism and reconquering Russia's empire, or will you crack down on crime and embrace capitalism?
Japan was once the technologic capital of the world, now they are recovering from the worst economic disaster in history. Their banks are in ruins, and the economy is stagnant. Do you have what it takes to bring them back onto the world scene?
China has the worlds largest population, can you manage to feed its expanding need, both economicly and militarily? Kuala Lumpur has just built the tallest building in the world, is the time right for southeast asia to claim its spot on the world map?
India has a massive population, and has just proven it is a nuclear power. Will you take by kashmir diplomaticly or by threatening nuclear warfare?
To India's west lies pakistan, Iran, and Iraq, the 3 infamous bad boys of the middle east. Do you have what it takes to enrage the evil empire and keep back the satanic capitalists?
Or will you instead play the arabs and sell your oil to the US for an inflated price to make yourself the richest nation in the world?
The nations of africa have long fought civil wars between themselves. Barbarians still control major cities in central africa. Can you take control of your own nation, then bring it into the 21st century?

This version is playable, however is far from a complete scenario. I know there are numerous spelling errors with city names so please email me them. This release is mainly for playtesting and tweaking. Let me know if you think a certain city should be added someplace, or whatnot. If you think a nation needs an extra city, or should have one removed, also please tell me. Same goes for units(no I am not giving india anymore nukes jkadabomb) I also want feedback on the idea of the barbarian cities around the world. They are mainly there to add some unpredictability to the game. I'm just worried that the ai will be dumb and not conquer the barbarians. I will include nukes for nations that have them now, but I don't think I will be including the nuke technology, at least not unless someone makes a mod to put it in a more practical place. This scenario was based upon omnigods world map which can be found at, http://ctp2.homestead.com/. I changed a few things from the map to make the game more playable, such as putting in plains next to a city in the middle of a desert.

One thing I added to this scenario which should help make it stand out above the 21st century civ2 scenario is the idea that each nation faces a crisis. For example, many russia cities are starving to death. In Japan, due to the recent recession there and the collapse of several large banks, I have destroyed all of their money making improvements. With mexico and canada the problem is high pollution. In america everything looks fine...They have a good growing economy, production is good, and they have a first class military...Therein lies the problem, recent corruption at higher ranks has led to increased military costs and military preparedness has dropped considerably. If the US had to fight a major war right now they would struggle to do so, a 2 front war would be suicide.

Version 0.5
-Units have been added to all nations
-City and tile improvements have been added
-Governments have been set for each nation, Note that russia is in anarchy, I'm leaving that up to the player as to which path they want to choose, communism or democracy...
-added/deleted some cities as per player requests
-Changed city cizes to be more accurate
-Technologies added for each nation
Version 0.1
-All civs have been added.
-Cities for all nations have been added except for most of africa
-Borders loosly defined using forts for most nations

Things still to do:
-City sizes need balancing
-Nation names and leader AI's changed to be more accurate
-The issue of Israel is still up in the air. Current suggestions: Give 1 city there to US or EU and put a city next to it to the Muslim(egyptian) nation. Or just give the whole thing to the Muslim(egyptian) nation.
-City build queues
-slow gametime down to months, slow down research and build queues as well
-I would like to add several units to the game. If you have sprites for modern era units/buildings please send them my way. Also if you have knowlege on making a game mod, contact me and you can start on that and I'll include it with my scenario
-I have numerous ideas of what I want to do with slic. For example, if you play the EU, you would have to reach certain scientific and economic goals within 20 years or one of the member nations will leave the union. Unless someone wants to work on this I won't be looking into this until I'm done with everything else.

Any comments, suggestions are encouraged to be emailed to me at thebiglewbowski@aol.com, or direct questions to kormer in the forums at apolytons civ website.
Old January 18, 2001, 02:29   #2
heardie
Prince

Local Time: 20:50
I would like to add that this will probably require a fairly powerful computer to run ~450mghz(?)
Old January 18, 2001, 02:38   #3
kormer
Chieftain

Yes a good computer helps, but I have a 700 athlon and it only takes a few seconds for each turn. It might take a little longer on the slower computers, but should still be playable. I could have gone all out and used palpatines massive map...
Old January 18, 2001, 18:27   #4
jkadabomb
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by kormer on 01-17-2001 10:55 PM
(no I am not giving india anymore nukes jkadabomb)

As long as nukes are researchable I dont care But one thing about the AI. I have a suggestion, implement and integrate the frenzy AI mod slic and scripts and Diplomod scripts and slic with your Millenium mod and this will make the Scenario extremely excellent and difficult and realistic, with large AI attack forces(and the AI actually attacking), and decent AI diplomacy(actually allowing the AI to keep its alliances). Just a suggestion.

Also are you going to have a seperate campaign for each nation?
Old January 18, 2001, 19:04   #5
jkadabomb
Warlord

Alright I got 5 suggestions.

1. This isnt really anything major but I think the leaders names should be customizable. I want to use MY NAME, not the default name. If this isnt possible at least make the default name reasonable, for example Ramses shouldnt be running egypt. How bout Yasser Arafat for Egypt.

2. The whole map should be visible by all Civs. Well I think every Civ should have a current map at the beginning of the scenario. Every Civ I played with only had a view of their own territory but had no vision at all of any city's but theirs. So allow all the Civs to start with an updated map(they dont have to have veiw of the world every turn and unit, just at least know where all the city's and improvements are at the start. After all what country couldnt go out and by a map nowadays? This is totally unrealistic.)

3. Every country should start out with an embassy with each other or have at least contacted each other. I mean come on, EU doesnt know where America is or havent had any contact with them????

4. Need more units along border of troublespots(for example, Indo/Pak border needs more units along it, especially around kashmir ) Also Maybe tons of Palestinians Units surrounding Isreal with the EU protecting it with its own units(and maybe even owning it )

5. Try to integrate the frenzy mod with this scenario(after all it is open source and anybody could use it). This would make the AI alot better.

Well keep up the good work. btw, excellent map Omnigod, its a perfect earth map. The scenario looks good so far.
Old January 18, 2001, 19:50   #6
Big Dave
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 03:50
Sounds good so far. I hope you put alot of barbarian cities in Africa to simulate the unrest/civil wars that are taking place there.
Old January 18, 2001, 21:57   #7
kormer
Chieftain

Jkadabomb:
1. I just went through and corrected nations names, but not leaders names. For example, egypt is now known as arabian, and the mexicans are now the latin armericans. Since I don't know who the leaders of some foreign nations I just left that alone. I don't think it will be possible to input your own name, but realistic ones will be in the final cut for sure.

2. The whole map is visible by some nations, but not all, this will be fixed in a later version so everyone has a map of the world.

3. I'm still working on the slic coding for adding embassies. Most every nation will have embassies except for probably US-Muslim. I don't see too many US diplomats going to Iraq and vice-versa.

4. Some countries are already spending over 50% of their GDP on unit upkeep and are also at peace. I'll just have to play certain nations several times and see what I can do about it, maybe I'll just get rid of indias nukes so they can afford more artillery in kashmir...Just kidding

5. The frenzy mod will without a doubt be included along with my scenario. Right now I am waiting to see a stable release from them.

Big Dave; There are currently 2 barbarian cities in Africa. After the frenzy mod's next release or so I'll install it and see how that affects things and add a third city as well.
Old January 18, 2001, 22:00   #8
jkadabomb
Warlord

The final 1.04 release is coming out any time soon and it is supposedly the final release.
Old January 18, 2001, 22:02   #9
jkadabomb
Warlord

The final release of Frenzy Mod is 1.04 and Ithink it is already out(unless new bugs popup). Also Some of the ideas from the diplomod could also be implemented.