Old January 18, 2001, 11:25   #1
wheathin
Prince

Local Time: 09:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pollution questions
What I've been able to figure out:

Pollution from population is 15 pollution units (p.u.)over 16 pop. These values can be set in DiffDB.txt.

Pollution from production is 1 p.u. per every production over 400 gears. These numbers can also be changed in DiffDB.txt.

Unhappiness from pollution is at a rate of -1 happy for every 50 p.u.

Warnings for excessive pollution are triggered at 400 p.u. in a specific city.

=

Questions:
1. Can I change the number of p.u.'s that cause unhappiness? I.e. to 75 per -1, or 100 per -1?

2. Can I change the trigger for "too much pollution in city x" to appear with either more or less pollution?

3. Is there a way to find out how many turns are left before the next pollution disaster strikes, or what my total Empire-wide pollution is?

4. Most importantly, how much pollutions required to cause a 'dead tile' in a city radius?
Old January 19, 2001, 09:46   #2
wheathin
Prince

Local Time: 09:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, for the edification of others, here's my own answers.

1. Pollution happiness is in Govern.txt. The Pollution tolerance modifier relates to the number of p.u. it takes to cause -1 unhappiness.

2. This is triggered by #4.

3. No, except for the cryptic smokestack indicator in the upper right corner. Still haven't figured out how useful that thing is.

4. Const.txt has values near the bottom of the file for the 'dead tile from pollution' chance and threshold. The threshold is set to 400 (answer to #2). The chance is .005 - you have to be substantially over the limit for quite some time to get a dead tile, but since you can't fix such tiles until late in the game, the damage can be huge. Both can be easily changed. (Global Disasters are stored in pollution.txt)

I prefer to play with more unhappiness in the game. (perverse, huh?) Accordingly, I lowered the limits at which pollution kicks in (300 production, size 7), but then raised the limits at which it causes environmental damage. There is another limit on total unhappiness from pollution, -10 I think.