Old January 20, 2001, 22:59   #1
Tommi Morre
Settler

Local Time: 09:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stupid Newbie Question: How do I play on a map?
Okay, I took the World Map, loaded it into the scenario editor, modified it the way I wanted it, and saved it. I can bring it up again in the scenario editor with no trouble.

Now, how do I start a game using this map? I've tried saving it as part of a scenario, like the original World Map was, but although my new scenario's in the list there isn't anything there. I'm confused!

I used to like the original Civ games (some of them), because of how easy is was to do maps in the map editor. With CTP2, I had a lot of fun plopping down goods exactly where I wanted them. Now if I could only play on the darn thing . . . . .
Old January 20, 2001, 23:03   #2
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:51
Sounds like you need a little help.. what you did was edit a map and then saved it as a scenario (I assume) One thing you forgot was who was playing. To run the game you need to add start locations when your editing the map... maybe there's a way... no I'll check that thought out later.... anyway... you need to place start locations for the civs you want to be able to use on the map. There are choices on this, if you want to read about them it's in the modification page under scenario editor. Hopefully that helps.. BTW which world map are you using... hopefully no the one that comes with the game

Rich
Old January 20, 2001, 23:26   #3
Tommi Morre
Settler

OmniGod, thanks for trying to help -- I'm not really an idiot, I just play one on the web . . . . .

When I tried to save it as a scenario, I set starting locations for everyone first (well away from my chosen nation, I wanted some room to grow first). When I went to the "play a scenario" spot, my scenario seemed to be there, but it wasn't really (I'm not at my home 'puter now, please excuse the lack of proper terminology).

The "manual" that came with the game doesn't cover the unsupported scenario editor, neither does the 3rd party guide I have. I've been scouring this site (and others) for documentation. The Scenario Editor Reference at http://www.apolyton.net/ctp2/modific...scenedit.shtml is useful, but it doesn't cover this -- evidently, I'm screwing up on something so simple that nobody thought someone would need directions for it.

I'm not trying to do anything fancy -- I just want to play on my own map!

(PS: Yes, I did start with the World Map that comes with the game -- if I can get this thing to work then I'll do a nicer one from scratch. Apparently, Activision took the UK's habit of refering to the Atlantic Ocean as "the pond" a bit too literally . . . . .)
Old January 20, 2001, 23:52   #4
Chris B
Warlord

Im not sure if this will help, but when you saved as scenario, did you fill in all the text and click on it and push save? this has nailed me several times
Old January 21, 2001, 00:47   #5
OmniGod
Prince

I'd say skip the Activision map and go download some good maps.. http://ctp2.homestead.com Everyone else is doing it so why aren't you BTW I'd like to thank everyone who has visited, I'm about to reach 5000 hits in about a month and a half period... that'll be 6000 since my openning website...

Rich
Old January 21, 2001, 05:23   #6
Tommi Morre
Settler

So I go to the site OmniGod suggested, and I look at the world maps . . . . . hmmmm, there's one by Omnigod . . . . . download it, set it up in the scenario folder the way the other scenarios are set up, run it and . . . . . oh, my, yes! *This* is a World Map! What was Activision thinking, including just that dinky little earthmap. Thank you, OmniGod, It's beautiful!

Of course, there's always room for "improvement" . . . . . for example, swamps in Florida are supposed to have aligators. So I open up the Scenario Editor and make a few tile changes. I want to play as the Native Americans in a particular start position, so I set that up from the Scenario Editors "Empire" tab.

I go to save it as a Scenario. You're right, Chris B, last time I didn't fill in all the boxes in the "front" and "back" end of the Scenario Save process. This time I did -- lo and behold, when I go to run my new Scenario, it's actually there, and it pulls up and runs! Yay! Unfortunatly, it doesn't run on the newly-edited map.

Any ideas?
Old January 21, 2001, 12:12   #7
OmniGod
Prince

You'd think it was my site or something