Old January 22, 2001, 08:54   #1
admiralk
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SLIC questions
I have a copule of questions on SLIC before i make my scenario.

1.Does SLIC have anything like triggers? I don't know but i an good at using triggers in other games. If so
where can i get a list of cause and effects.

2.Using SLIC can u control the AI on certain turns, like making them move units here and there.

3.Can u control diplomatic relationships between civs, by using SLIC.

If anyone can help me i would be most grateful.
Old January 22, 2001, 09:00   #2
MarkG

check the slic documentation in our modification pages in the ctp2 section

Old January 22, 2001, 11:43   #3
Radical_Manuvr
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:51
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by triggers, but there are a lot of "events" like capture city, move units, etc. that you can use to cause other stuff to happen.

I'm pretty new to using SLIC and haven't tried making the AI move units. I think (but I'm really just guessing since I haven't tried) that is one of the more difficult things to do with SLIC. I'm sure there are either functions or events for it though. Probably functions.

As far as I know you can't do things like alliances, pacts and such. You can increase or decrease the regard level.

I found reading the SLIC documentation on Apolyton and looking through the different scenario.slc, function, msg, and mod files very helpful.
Old January 22, 2001, 16:18   #4
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:51
admiralk:

1. Yes.
2. Take a look at frenzy AI mod for ideas.
3. Take a look at Diplomod for ideas.

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 22, 2001, 21:56   #5
admiralk
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:51
I've been reading the documentation but it very complicated.What i mean by triggers is something like cause an effect. For example, Unit moves here this happends and such. I don't know(or get) how to do that in SLIC. Also what is AI frenzy and DiploMOD. Please HeLPPPPPPPP! THANK YOU
Old January 22, 2001, 23:59   #6
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:51
If you go into the files database, you'll find that two of the MOD downloads are the diplomacy and frenzy ai mods. These are the two I was talking about.

With your event trigger, yes SLIC does have something like that. But more info is required. Eg:

1 - To make something happen as a reaction to something else (a unit bombards when next to a city) you use EVENTS.
2 - To make noise or something like that you use SPECEFFECTS. It's all documented in the SLIC documents.
3 - To make something perform a function you use HANDLEEVENT.

It's all pretty simple when you get into it. My suggestion is to start with some simple code, like adding gold to a player when they do something, and work up from there.

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 23, 2001, 08:41   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:51
admiralk,

Yes, SLIC is entirely trigger-based, the 'eventhandlers' are nothing more than triggers, they're just called different because Activision wanted to make a difference between SLIC for CtP1 and SLIC for CtP2 (in CtP1 there already had triggers).

So to have something happen when a unit moves, your code should look like this:

HandleEvent(MoveUnits) 'AnyName' post {
// stuff happens
}

Yes, you can control units and diplo relations, but it's one of the more complicated things to do with SLIC, so you'll need to experiment a little with those before you get results. Like Dale and Radical said, study existing SLIC files and just try to code some stuff (start with simple things) and you'll figure it out. When you get stuck on anything, let us know and we'll try to help...