Old March 18, 2000, 15:45   #1
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:32
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Usually one or two cruise missiles will sink most ships! One unit I have noticed, that seems far better in defence than attack, is the Partisan. Although rated 4/4, they seem to survive some mighty opponents.

----------
SG (2)
Old March 19, 2000, 00:22   #2
KhanMan
Prince

Yeah, I've occasionaly had a unit survive long enough to earn a name...

Of course, I've seen the opposite happen, too: in my current mp game, one lone barb horse killed a total of three fortified, vet phalanxs, and looted the city...

-KhanMan the paranoid expansionist
Old March 19, 2000, 00:38   #3
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
And you should have heard him whine about it too! jk Khanman.

I can't afford to make fun of you. You are way ahead on the powergraph and we're depending on you to bring the Celts back to the pack!
Old March 19, 2000, 00:47   #4
Qualiciide

I had 1 lone horseman back in enamy territory with no way to get out... he finally got sick of him there and launched an attack, after takeing down 3 arcers 2 settlers and 5ish warriors he finnaly sucumbed to overwhelming odds

Old March 19, 2000, 01:20   #5
Vespasian
Settler

Medals of Valor
Have any of you ever had the privelege of watching a very small portion of your army (or even a single unit) fight and win valiantly against overwhelming odds? I've come across a few instances like this:

Once, a single horseman unit stopped an entire Carthaginian invasion in its tracks. It just hid out in a large forest between the Carthaginians and I and raided the invading forces with surprising success. By the time they had found it and were positioned to kill, I had mobilized my forces and were crushing the last remnants of the attack.

I also hear tell of a friend of mine whose Grand American Fleet was once exploring black near Indian waters, when the Indians, being a great power able to challenge him, suddenly launched an attack on his flagship, the U.S.S Atlanta. It withstood the attacks of, and he counted, 17 cruise missiles and still survived to limp its way back to port.

So, anyone ese have memorable tales such as these?

------------------
"On ne peut pas apprendre la chance si on n'est pas hardii."-Napolean
Old March 19, 2000, 20:50   #6
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 17:32
I have been proud of little warriors several times who have withstood the attack of a knight!
Old March 19, 2000, 23:45   #7
KhanMan
Prince

Hey Sparrowhawk-who's the guy who's still afraid of the one-city Zulu-menace? :P

As for bringing the Celts into the fold, well, what can I say? I intend to crush them mightily...

What are your plans for the last few sessions of our game? *wg*

-KhanMan the paranoid expansionist lord of the transplanted german-russian bear...
Old March 20, 2000, 15:59   #8
Chris66
Settler

I think it is part of the program. Even though I am new to the boards I have been playing civilization II a long time. (around 2 years) It has always happened to me. Maybe now that its spring break I will go play some Civ
Old March 20, 2000, 17:38   #9
KhanMan
Prince

AS-Whenever possible, I always try to surround a city with units occupying every radius square possible, before taking it.

In single play on the europe-at-war scenario (collapse of the EU), this works really well...build a couple of cheat units, occupy every square around it you can, and it reduces the number of partisans you have to kill. Occupy every square, and *poof!*, no partisans...

-KhanMan the paranoid expansionist
Old March 20, 2000, 18:32   #10
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:32
again i thought that partisans came out on all squares in the radius not controlled by you once guerila warfare was discouvered by the other civ
Old March 20, 2000, 20:03   #11
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Adam - I'm sure that Partisans are programed to occupy the high defence bonus squares like woods and hills. (In addition, they always arrive fortified.) As others have said, if you can surround the city - you will eliminate the problem. However, in the real world of conquest, this is not always feasible. I tend to bribe a couple of these units (if I can't build them) and use them with my spies to occupy the mountains - this is quicker as both types of units ignore ZOC.
The rest of the enemy Partisans on grassland will usually lose to Cavalry.
The important thing is to kill them quickly, as if they are left, they will sabotage the city's railroads/roads/mines. Although there was a discussion on this topic some weeks ago, I'm not sure about the factors that govern how many Partisans will appear from any one city.

------
SG (2)

Old March 21, 2000, 01:49   #12
klesh
King

Local Time: 19:32
I'm reminded of a time in which a valiant horsie survived a goody hut full of 5 barbarian knights. Medal of Valor awarded!

------------------
See you next December in the Kremlin, Komrade, when the first snow falls... if you are still there...
Old March 21, 2000, 01:59   #13
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:32
Scouse:
When I face Partisans from a conquered city, they always seem to appear on the best defensive squares in the city radius. I wonder if that is part of the program??

------------------
"I fear that I shall die a Prince."
-Edward VII, Prince of Wales