Old February 1, 2001, 19:36   #1
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 09:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Oh my God!!!
Edit: In thie post, I'm talking about barbarians. They are trying to build wonders of the world. Is this just a freak occurance?!

I've been playing with Dale's excellent Diplomod, on very hard with level-three (raider) barbarians. Not only are the b—tards harrassing me like hell and killing my settlers and units, but they're capturing cities and working on wonders of the world!!!

Look at this:
http://members.aol.com/davidwamurray/barbarians.jpg

I don't know how long I'll keep that image there, so take a look now in case you don't believe me....
[This message has been edited by David Murray (edited February 01, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by David Murray (edited February 01, 2001).]
Old February 1, 2001, 23:08   #2
David Murray
Prince

Okay, I guess no-one cares.

I just find it strange that they are trying to build Ramayana instead of warrior units, because their cities are recaptured almost immediately.
Old February 1, 2001, 23:11   #3
Triumphus Romanus
Chieftain

Im with you on this one David......I had a Military pact with the Koreans after a long war with them....then they demanded I attack the Russians....I refused and they broke the pact....now we're at war again. The improved diplomacy really makes this a whole new game
Old February 1, 2001, 23:56   #4
David Murray
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Triumphus Romanus on 02-01-2001 10:11 PM
Im with you on this one David......I had a Military pact with the Koreans after a long war with them....then they demanded I attack the Russians....I refused and they broke the pact....now we're at war again. The improved diplomacy really makes this a whole new game

I agree that the mod has improved diplomacy...only thing is, it has a couple bugs like that one with barbarians trying to build the Ramayana.
Old February 2, 2001, 00:56   #5
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Its not a mod thing. The barbarians were one of the first things I personally changed. But no matter how much I try, i cant get them to consistantly stay barbarian. After they take a city they seem to abandon the STRATEGY_BARBARIAN and choose a normal civ strategy. Sometimes they will take a city and start pumping out units, but my guess is that 3/4 of the time they will build the required garrison then start work on a wonder. In my games it seems like every civ is working on a wonder by 3700bc. To me this is the fundalmental bug in the game is how it tells each civ to pick a strategy to play. Since day 1, i noticed that even on the hardest level, the civs arent aggressive militarily, but instead concentrate on buildings and wonders. And the barbarians just turn into another civ once they capture a city

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old February 2, 2001, 01:02   #6
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:52
Sorry to disappoint David, but the diplomacy mod has nothing to do with this.

I have seen it before, when the barbs take over a city where an AI was building a wonder, and then for some wierd reason the barb is allowed to build it. This was before I started. Thinking about it, it only started after the 1.1 patch. Hmmm....... another mistake in the patch?

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old February 2, 2001, 01:49   #7
Triumphus Romanus
Chieftain

I just installed the 3.2 Diplomod. And along with the Frenzy AI 1.04, it's a real improvement. I just lost to the AI, which is good. I was the English, Huge map, medium difficulty. The Mayans picked a fight immediately. Japanese were next. Both sent 12 stacks and picked me off city by city.

I was wondering, however, if it may be necessary to balance the Diplomod and the FrenzyAI together. The reason I ask is it seems the frenzyAI makes the civs very capable at warfare.....maybe too capable. They started fighting me immediately and I couldnt establish any diplomatic relations. I know the diplomod works great, because if you use it along with the games default AI, its peacenik/diplomatic heaven.
But add the Frenzy AI and the other civs are hellbent on ruling the world. I used the cheat mode to look at the map and the Mayans were very aggressive. They held about a third of the Japanese cities, and were after me. And despite being whittled down a third by the Mayans, the Japanese waged war with me. Now I like that, an AI civ waging war on two fronts....awesome.

Im definately not complaining....Dale and BlueO are my heros.....my $50 wont go to waste.

I was just curious if maybe the Frenzys aggressiveness may make diplomacy moot.

Then again, I really havent played a long game yet, cause the AI has been taking me out early :-)
Old February 2, 2001, 02:38   #8
David Murray
Prince

Hmmm...strange...I still think it's incredibly flawed how barbarians can't at least produce warrior units when they get cities.