Old January 25, 2001, 12:26   #1
Alatriste
Settler

Local Time: 09:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Historical scenarios
Hi I´m working in the Philip II scenario. Is 1580, Spain has a hight power in Europe but England, France want to increase their influence. The turkish are a menace for the Cristian nations and Italy and Netherlands ara thinking in their independence.

It can be a good scenario but I need Ideas for do better the scenario.

I´m waiting your for your reply
Old January 28, 2001, 01:50   #2
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:52
Hey Alatriste! (nice handle!). You play/played Civ2? If so come to the Spanish Civ2 forum (further down this page, under Hosted Sites)! I wrote A Philip II scenario for Civ2 that might help you out a bit
Old January 29, 2001, 12:38   #3
Alatriste
Settler

Thank´s Jai I was in your site, It help me very much but I still seeking more historical information about it.
I will notice you when it will be finish.
Old January 29, 2001, 15:07   #4
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:52
Okay. Now another shameless plug. Open a thread on this subject in our forum (further down this page), I am most certain you'll get tons of good ideas
Old January 30, 2001, 22:44   #5
Savant
Warlord

Local Time: 04:52
What map are you planning to use? A global map will allow Spanish colonies to factor in but will throw off game balance as the CIVs will spawn settlers and especially the Spanish who will already have Mexico and Peru by that time. You might wish to keep it limited to a European map.

I made the Petite Europe map so that CIVs will not be able to spawn cities. The boundaries and the game limitations for new cities precludes new cities anywhere on that map except for a few select locations.

Also, you need to limit the scnario to 8 civs from what I understand. So:

Spain - France - England - Poland - German States (Germany) - Ottomans - Italian Republics (Rome) - and
Hungary may be about it to fill the map with CIVs. That would give you a fairly faithful rendering given game limits and the CIVS currently available minus mods.

------------------
'Blood will run'
Old January 31, 2001, 09:41   #6
Gwap
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Savant on 01-30-2001 09:44 PM

Spain - France - England - Poland - German States (Germany) - Ottomans - Italian Republics (Rome) - and
Hungary may be about it to fill the map with CIVs. That would give you a fairly faithful rendering given game limits and the CIVS currently available minus mods.

OI! We Dutch fought %(*$Q(@ hard to kick those Spanish out. Took us 80 years! Don't you dare leave them out.

And now for ideas. Or maybe more a general point about this game (and previous incarnations): Rivers have not enough influence on the early stages of the game. To cross a river tile you get a movement bonus!! I know the argument is that ppl moving along rivers will use boats and therefore go quicker. Fine.

But that completely ignores the fact that very very many countries have borders made up of rivers. Why? Because they are hard to cross, that's why! So they are easier to defend.

My suggestion would be to make a really large map op Western Europe, and put the major rivers in using shallow sea tiles, rather than river tiles.

Trickier (if not impossible) would be the trick the Dutch used quite well (in fact, they used it last in WWII) is to drown land surrounding cities (o, woops, we drowned that besieging army too )

Perhaps you could create a Building/Wonder for the Dutch (exclusively) called Dyke System or Windmill (need mathematics/engineering advances). Having that wonder would allow the Dutch to terraform (aquaform?) tiles in a cities' radius for no cost. It would kill all units on that tile, but it would also have to be reterraformed (at a cost) if you wanted it back to land.

Just an idea or two. Hope you're inspired. More info needed on Dutch-Spanish relationship in 16th and 17th centuries, let me know.

------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Old January 31, 2001, 20:35   #7
Savant
Warlord

Local Time: 04:52
Gwap - I would agree. The Dutch were a dominant economic, political and military force in the 1600s.

My motive was simply to identify those nations that were also active and would "fill" the map given an 8 CIV limitation. Of course I don't mean to slight the Dutch in any way - with a Venetian heritage I have an afinity for all things Dutch and their irreverent attitude.

------------------
'Blood will run'
Old February 7, 2001, 01:54   #8
Alatriste
Settler

Thank´s for ideas and comments.

I will use a map of Europe, I don´t know if Central Europe, Europe 1750 or only a region of netherlands.

My objectif is to do more realistic the scenario that normal.

Im working now with the documentation about this time.

In one or two weeks I think, I will inform you about the general lines of the scenario

At last: excuse me for being late in my reply, I was very busy in my job. And Jay I will open a thread this week in your forum.

Ahhh, sorry for my English, I try to learn more and make less faults.